“clean and comfortable, not that good value, aging” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency San Francisco

Save Saved
You added Hyatt Regency San Francisco to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency San Francisco
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5 Embarcadero Center, San Francisco, CA 94111 (Financial District)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Bed & Breakfast for Two
Ranked #86 of 237 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Brussels, Belgium
“clean and comfortable, not that good value, aging”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

The rooms are fairly large and clean, and did get an upgrade for the bed, comfortable. Views of course will vary, if you lucky you can get a Bay view, not so for me and a the majority of the rooms.

But the bath is minute, making yourself a coffee or a cup of tea is highly inconvenient in the set up, and the carpet is clean but shows its age and stains. The airco is hard to control, TV channels are few, and internet access is charged on top.

The hotel itself is located along the embarcadero, convenient for business meetings and a trip to the bay, but no more.

The lobby has a certain scale to it, on the plus side, but all in all it's a very average hotel in that segment.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (484)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Long Island, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Our trip here was a tremendous disappointment. We'd communicated with the hotel prior to our arrival requesting that our Regency Club room have a working refrigerator (cold, for medical storage), and that it be clean. We were assured in writing that our expectations would be exceeded.

They were not. When we arrived, completely unfresh from 4 days with no power, courtesy of Superstorm Sandy, the room we were assigned had a fridge that was not cold, did not have the promised balcony, and overlooked a construction site that was still working at 9:30 PM. We were moved to a room at the other side of the hotel, but that room had no working electricity on one entire wall, including the wall with the fridge. The third room had a working fridge. Finally. It also had a balcony (broken lock on the balcony door), stained carpets, telephones that crackled, a non-working light on one of the bedside lamps and a showerhead that had pulled away from the wall. Oh, and it was just above that construction site again. Just what you want when you desperately need a sleep and a shower after 4 days in the dark. I would also like to add that every surface that was a bit higher than eye level was not dusted. If you ran your finger along the top of the desk, headboard, etc. -- full of dust.

Of course we reported it, but nothing was done. We were too tired to argue, and didn't want to spoil what was left of our trip by harping on these things.

What did work? The television which was located smack in the middle of the bathroom mirror. That's right. Where my face would be in the mirror was a large black square...and a remote control. That worked PERFECTLY! Of course, I couldn't see to brush my teeth, a small inconvenience when you are paying over $300/night for an executive level room. And at least the windows did open so that we could air out the dusty smell.

The Regency Club was lovely, clean, the snacks and coffee were very nice, and the breakfast was far superior to the one offered in the restaurant. The breakfast buffet at the restaurant offered no made to order items, a disappointment.

There was no spa, the concierge advised me to go to a second floor manicurist at a mall down the street. This is a Hyatt Regency? Really?!!

The staff were all nice and polite, but nothing can change the fact that a traveller has the right to expect a clean room where everything works, and this hotel was not able to offer that to us.

Room Tip: Room 1619 has a sliver of bay view and overlooks the skating rink construction. Room 1622 has a full...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed the amenities on the Regency Club floor. We understand your frustration and please accept our sincere apologies on such a poor experience you had. Our housekeeping team works very hard to maintain the facility and all guest rooms should be clean and fresh. However, seems we fell short during you stay and for that, we are truly sorry. There will be a cosmetic upgrade towards the end of this year and all of our guest rooms will be more refreshed and updated.

Your review is extremely important to us and it will be shared with my management team to review and improve upon. We hope to see you again in the future.

Boyle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I had a two night stay in the Hyatt Regency Embarcadero. I used Supershuttle from the airport which takes about 15-20 mins depending on drop-offs. The hotel itself is situated in the Embarcadero area of downtown, right beside the Bay Bridge. Basically it is in the region of everything downtown. Be advised that this is a huge Conference style hotel. Do not expect a boutique type atmosphere for your stay. However I was checked in by a very friendly Ruth who upon seeing me at any other time during my stay remembered me by name (a nice touch in such a large busy hotel). I upgraded from a standard room to a Club room for $75 per night. Well worth it. The Club Lounge has incredible views over SF bay, as well as an excellent supply and selection of food and drink. The atrium lobby is very impressive, as is it's sister hotel in Atlanta. I sat in the atrium frequently just to watch what was going on around me and people watch. A very satisfying experience as there is so much activity going on around you. My room(1616) had a spectactular view of the Bay Bridge and was immaculately clean. I slept extremely well both nights in a very comfy bed. The only difficulty I had was getting a taxi outside the hotel on the first night of my stay. The queue was long and there were very few taxis around. I would have been better off booking a town car. In-room internet was $9.95 for 24 hours and was super fast. It's complimentary in the Club Lounge. I wish I had more time in SF but the Hyatt Regency was perfect for what I needed. I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Club Room. It's worth it.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Naillic,

Thank you for taking your time to write us a review. We are delighted you had a very enjoyable stay with us. I must agree the view from the Regency Club lounge and the amenity offered there are great values for upgrading to the Regency Club room. Thank you for your compliments on our staff and I will be sure to share your review with the team and Ruth at the desk. Your recommendation is our biggest compliment and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Warm regards,
Palm Springs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We loved this place. The Lobby was breathtaking! Service was off the hook. Pay the extra money and upgrade to the Regency Club, the view is outrageous! Food was great. This property is located by all the public transportation. Concierge was the best very informative.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Debbie F,

Thank you so much for your review. We are thrilled you had such a great experience with us. It is always great to hear compliments on our staff. We hope you will come back and see us again in the near future! Look forward to welcoming you back.

Cherry Hill, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed on a club floor and had a nice room and a great view from my balcony. The Regency Club was well-appointed and had breakfast and evening hors d'oeuvre and beverages appealingly presented. There and throughout the hotel, the staff was pleasant and professional. The location is excellent. I bought a pass (available at the concierge's desk) to ride MUNI public transportation and was able to catch almost everything at the front door, even a cable car. I recommend this hotel for its location, amenities, cleanliness and comfort. I'd stay there again if back in town.

Room Tip: club floor with balcony is worth the extra $$$
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear DonnaMariaT,

Thank you so much for your review! It is great to hear you had a wonderful time with us and enjoyed the amenities offered at the Regency Club. We appreciate your recommendation and certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Auckland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

The view of the water sold this place for me. The room on the 17th floor wasn't massive (infact a little cramp) with the layout we had, but was comfortable enough. The bathroom was pretty nice, especially with the inbuilt TV in the mirror! The staff were friendly and helpful. The location is hard to beat, right near most public transport options. Been very impressed with the couple of Hyatt's I have stayed at and look forward to visiting more of them!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I was here on business and got upgraded to a suite. The suite had two bathrooms, a huge living room, a 20 x 6 balcony overlooking the port. The lobby was nicely appointed and the staff was very curteous and attentive. This is why Hyatt is my hotel of choice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your 5-star review! We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. It is always great to hear compliments on our staff. Your business is much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm regards,
Tiffany

Been to Hyatt Regency San Francisco? Share your experiences!