“Nice hotel in a good location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Fisherman's Wharf

You added Hyatt Fisherman's Wharf to your Saves list
Hyatt Fisherman's Wharf
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   555 North Point Street, San Francisco, CA 94133 (Fisherman’s Wharf)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #92 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Papamoa, New Zealand
“Nice hotel in a good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Hyatt for 4 nights around the beginning of May. Location wise it is a block or so from the waterfront and a good 15 minute walk down to Fisherman's Wharf. However, the plus side is that it is out of the noisy yahooing crowds and we were never disturbed at night. The cable car stop (Powell-Mason line) was a block away and the nearest supermarkets were a couple of blocks away (go out of the hotel and turn right, take the 1st left onto Taylor and then left onto Bay. At the end of the block is a grocery store and then a Safeway and Walgreens about half a block along again).

The room itself was really nice, large and had obviously been refurbished not long ago. Colours are blues, browns and greys so very contemporary. We had a huge bed with lovely linen and loads of pillows. There was also a couch in the room and a very large flat screen tv. We asked for a fridge to be in the room and there was a small one sitting on the floor - not sure why this has to be asked for I thought they were standard but obviously not anymore. There was heaps of storage room in drawers and cupboards. Only issue you might have if you were there on business is that the desk also doubles as the tv stand which didn't seem to leave a lot of room. There was a coffee maker thingie in the room with takeway cups which seemed to be handy (I don't drink much coffee so didn't try)

The bathroom was large and the only complaint I would have is that the shower had a long glass screen but no door so water tended to get out onto the floor.

The room was serviced well everyday.

We had a drink one night in the bar which was fine although a little on the pricey side but then this is San Francisco. We didn't eat there but the food that was being delivered to the tables looked great.

We ate breakfast across the road at both of the little cafes. Both served excellent food however, the one on the left seemed to do a variety of coffees rather than the standard filtered coffee but the one on the right had an additional fruit side that was wonderful so depends on what you want. Both had really good service and were clean and tidy.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2009

I liked this place. Despite being chic, upscale and expensive, it was very comfortable inside. We were on the pool level, right outside the jacuzzi area. I am a light sleeper and was concerned about this. Not a problem. The hotel is centrally located near fisherman's wharf and there's a Cost Plus across the street to stock up on provisions. The bed was awesome. Super soft with great linens. Very plush. The room is the 'modern' style of hotel room. Lots of neutral colors and small furniture. Not like an older hotel that might have wood chairs, etc. The bathroom had a shower with the head in the ceiling. I'm kinda tall, so I appreciated that, a lot. I usually have to lean over to wash my hair. We got the 'larger' room, which offered more space, but was still not huge by any means. The staff were totally friendly and helpful with any questions we had. They always greeted us and asked if there was anything they could do for us. They even provided a small fridge upon request, at no charge. The attached restaurant left something to desire, but I wasn't there to eat at a place like that. SF has a lot more to offer, within walking distance. Highly recommended. Would stay here the next time I visit as well.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Phoenix
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

First the pros: Comfy pillows. Nice flat screen TV. Friendly staff, especially the valet who served us courteously and with a smile every day.

Great location, two blocks to touristy places and views on the wharf, one of those high tech public restrooms people flock to see as well as the Powell & Mason trolley turnaround that will connect you to the two other trolley lines. There's a Starbucks on the same corner.

As the desk clerk said "There aren't a lot of views in a 5 story hotel. We are built on landfill so you can't get much higher without being in danger of earthquake damage". That being said, we took a room with a street view on the 4th floor and watched tourists and locals bustle, heard the dinging of the trolley which could be seen from our window, and had a decent view of Coit Tower to the left, and hillside homes to the right.

Now the cons: Only a so-so lunch at the hotel restaurant Knuckles (we had a $25 credit there, otherwise we would have hit the wharf for fresh seafood - good sweet potato fries but the tortilla soup was lacking and the crab cake sandwich was fishy and dry. Our waitress was very nice.)

Parking is $45 per night. Ouch, but that rate is pretty standard. Tip - some hotels will throw in the parking as a special offer.

This place could use some updating. Single pane windows made for a noisy evening with emergency vehicles passing by but things quieted down enough to sleep before it got too late. We always knew when our neighbors were coming and going and watching television. The hallways are poorly lit and painted in some back in the day shade of green. The decor is in blue-grey tones with chocolate accents. It might have been modern in the early 90s, but now it just feels cold and dreary. It wasn't very clean and the lighting was poor. The clock was broken. The a/c intake cover was falling off.

All in all, San Francisco is such an incredible city that the hotel stay was secondary. I wish we would have tried the Hilton next door because I know we could have done better. Give Sabella and LaTorre a try for a casual historical dining experience on the wharf. Ask for a window seat so you can watch the passersby at the open air seafood market outside.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2009

I arrived around 8:30 pm local time and was greeted by a very polite valet person. He was friendly and directed my inside. The lobby is a bit odd and is set-up in the new fashion without a counter, just a table at check in. The guy working check in was even better than the valet, was incredibly friendly, let me know my room was indeed quite and was in fact upgraded to a suite.

Please see my blog at http://talesfromtheroad-mwalno.blogspot.com/

The room is awesome, and the thing that surprises me is how quite it really is......

I walked into the restaurant/bar and there were quite a few people there, it look nice with several big screens, and a lively atmosphere. It is located 3 blocks from the warf and I recommend Scomas for dinner there.

I can't stand the Grand Hyatt here, and this really is a great property, I will stay here every time I come to town!!!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

There is nothing warm about this Hyatt - the inside area like the front of the elevators, coridors, etc are dark giving a dingy feeling and with dark carpets, it adds to the dismal look.
Beds are fine with the rooms being smallish, nothing to look at out of the window - you will see the windows of the across the street buildings. They have valet parking at $45 plus tax and the internet is $10. When is Hyatt going to realise that wifi is here to stay and is getting cheaper everywhere - most of the hotels today offer it free and with the high room rates paid here why cant they include free wifi? There are lots of other fine hotels nearby on this street and they offer cheaper parking.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2009

This place has a bipolar personality. The hotel was excellent; the conference center -- not so much.

The hotel has a great, central location, blocks from the great restaurants of Fisherman’s Wharf and North Beach. We received five different dinning recommendations from the hotel staff. All were very good! The hotel is smallish so no Regency Club exists at this property. Surprisingly, the restaurant had the lowest prices I have found at any Hyatt and conference guess receive and additional 20 percent off! Knuckles Restaurant service was good except Friday morning when we had to wait a good while for our server to show up. When she did get to our table (after we got our own drinks) she said they were having a meeting. Unfreakinbelievable!!! You would think the meeting would have happened BEFORE Knuckles opened.

Don’t drive a car here unless you are traveling on business. No self parking. Moreover, valet is $45/per day. If you park overnight on the street, you will be sorry. We found lots of broken of glass from car burglaries along the curb on North Point Street just east of the hotel.

The rooms are very nice and the housekeeping is outstanding. Although there is no turndown service, the rooms are apparently freshened twice per day. I would dash up to the room at lunch to change for a quick workout and shower then return in the evening to find fresh towels, a clean shower and my workout clothes stowed away. Many reviewers complained about the “doorless” showers (a glass partition only partially separates the shower from rest of the bathroom). Though some reviewers said the bathroom floor got wet, I believe one would need to try really hard to get water on the bathroom floor.

The staff was friendly. Everyone smiled and gave the greeting of the day.

The conference center is nice but the service is horrible. We had a great continental breakfast set up every morning and cookies or some other confection in the afternoon. Unfortunately, ice water was rarely available. To make matters worse, many times we had no water at all! A co-worker told me that the coffee ran out too! I complained to the servers or hosts twice and complained to the front desk also. The situation did not improve throughout the week. This is totally unsatisfactory! I do not recommend booking a conference here.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2009

I stayed for three days in this hotel while staying in SF for work. I was one of 3 colleagues (each had our own room). The hotel was very nice - the staff quite helpful in pointing you to where things are, how to get around, etc. There is a complimentary hotel car available to take you places in the city (e.g. we used it to reach business meetings on market street) - just be sure to speak with the concierge/front desk to ensure it's lined up for you. The rooms were very spacious for a city room, although we all had inner-facing views from the window - meaning the bad news is you had no view of the street, but the good news is no noise from the street. :) Two of us suffered allergies while there, so I'm not sure if it was from something in the room or from being in SF (we are from the East Coast). The linens and bedding are all comfortable - typical of Hyatt. Also typical - there is no free wireless internet, but there is a small room near the front desk that you can plug your laptop in for free (if you have an ethernet cable), plus a desktop & printer to permit you to print out your boarding passes prior to going to the airport. I did not use the hotel gym since I preferred to run outside in the city, but there supposedly is a gym and a pool available to you. As always, I find the lack of complimentary breakfast frustrating at most Hyatts, this one no exception.

I do not particularly like the Fisherman's Wharf area since it's too touristy for me; however you can walk about 10-15 mins up Columbus to the Italian area (I do not recall the name) where there are a number of quaint and quite good restaurants. Also, the F tram is just one block away, so you have easy access to public transportation in terms of getting downtown. There are a number of competing hotels all within 1-2 blocks (Holiday Inn, Express, Sheraton, Marriot, etc.) so there are good options at your disposal in the event the Hyatt doesn't work for you.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

Been to Hyatt Fisherman's Wharf? Share your experiences!