“Parking Fees killed me, but great hotel.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Fisherman's Wharf

Save Saved
You added Hyatt Fisherman's Wharf to your Saves list
Hyatt Fisherman's Wharf
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   555 North Point Street, San Francisco, CA 94133 (North Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Bed & Breakfast for Two
Ranked #82 of 236 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sierra Madre, California
“Parking Fees killed me, but great hotel.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2009

We ( my fiance and I) drove up from Los Angeles and stayed 3 nights at the Wharf Hyatt. This was a wine tasting trip for us.
I was able to get a great price of $308 for 3 nights through the "bidding website."
The hotel had my reservation per my request as a non-smoking King bed, but I was given a non-smoking with two fulls. Boo. My fiance and I scrunched together and slept fine in their wonderful bed, but I was unhappy that all they could offer me was a smoking King room, or the two fulls after I made a request for the non-smoking king.

The Hyatt's Restaurant and Bar Knuckles was fantastic, and I called ahead of time to get a good table for 6 and they accommodated us wonderfully. Try the Blue Moon Belgium Beer. YUM! The Fried Salmon was not very good in my opinion but the meals the others had were all amazing. For the price, I felt the values at Knuckles were outstanding.

All in all the Hotel was nice, but the Holdiay Inn Express across the street offered free breakfast, free wireless internet, and overall more for the money, but not quite the class.

My biggest gripe was the parking fees. Not only do they charge $45 per 24 hours for guests, they add a 14% tax on top of that ($6.50 per day) so three days cost me $153 and change to park my car. OUCH!

I guess the pool was heated and they also had a jacuzzi that we did not use, but we looked at the gym which was small but good, and FREE to guests.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Lake Stevens, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2009

We spent a girl’s weekend here. I was not sure what to expect since there are so many mixed reviews. I booked through Priceline and got an exceptional rate. I can’t say enough about how friendly the staff is at this hotel. I called about a half an hour after booking to try and see if we could get a room with 2 queen beds. The young lady I spoke with in reservations was more than accommodating and had a super fun personality. Since it is my usual experience that most hotels won’t guarantee anything until you actually check in, I was surprised they would do this for us.

Check –in was a breeze. Under 5 minutes. Even though the gal at the desk was on the phone and had another employee waiting to speak with her. It was multi-tasking at its finest. She saw that I had our paperwork in hand so she waived me over and started the process while finishing her phone call. Once she hung up she politely asked us for one minute while she finished her conversation with her fellow employee (she finished up with him in 30 seconds). My usual experience is that if the person at check-in is on the phone or otherwise occupied, they make you stand there FOREVER while they finish the task at hand. Once she turned her full attention to us, she was funny and engaging. They did not even charge us the extra person fee (there were 3 of us and we only booked for 2). We felt very welcome and that our business was appreciated.

This hotel is a great location. It’s a short walking distance to the bus, cable cars, etc. Our room was just OK. It was a little worn but I attribute that to it being a smoking room. The beds were comfortable and the room was very clean. We didn’t order room service or any extras so I can’t comment on it.

We ate Knuckles (the hotel restaurant) for dinner. They recently remodeled and changed their menu (used to be a sports bar). It was excellent. It's the best service I have ever experienced. Our waiter really went out of his way to make sure we enjoyed our meal. Again, he had a super fun personality and made us feel like our business was appreciated. At the end of our meal, the manager stopped by our table to inquire how we were enjoying our stay/meal and to thank us for staying with them. I used to travel for work. I have stayed in hotels all over the country and, all I can say is, WOW! That has never happened to me before.

Check- Out was a breeze too. Under 5 minutes we were in a Taxi on our way to the airport. Every single employee we encountered during our short stay was friendly, polite and had a sunny disposition. I think you would be hard pressed to find a cranky person working there. It was well worth the money and I would definitely stay here again. There wasn't anything I disliked about my experience.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2009

We stayed at Hyatt Fisherman's Wharf for 3 nights just recently and found the hotel to be nicely located and with a great staff. We got a great deal through Priceline so we can't complain. We were given a 2 doubles bedroom near the elevator and facing the entry parking. The elevator actually didn't bother us but we can hear the people from the parking valet area in the morning. That didn't really bother us much either since we were out sightseeing most of the day. The only drawback for this place is the parking fee. Hyatt charges $45 a night (with in-out access). The closest parking lot charges $32 a night with no in-out access. On the night of arrival, we paid for the $32 a night parking since it was late but every night after that, we were able to find off-street parking for free. You just need to make sure you read the signs since some streets have street cleaning and no parking is allowed at certain times. You also will need to get up by 7 to take the car or else you will need to feed the meter. The room itself was great: roomy, clean and recently renovated. We didn't try the restaurant since there are too many options in San Fran. They do have a heated pool but we didn't have time to try that out since it drizzled while we were there. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and for the price we paid, we loved it.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Oxfordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2009

We stayed at the Hyatt for 2 nights and found the location to be perfect. It was right down there on Fishermans Wharf. Check in was swift and courteous. The room was much as you would expect from a Chain hotel, with lovely complimentary toiletries in the bathroom. We had a huge very comfortable bed. Cable car stop is just around the corner too. Would definately stay there again if we get to go back to San Francisco. (They also have smoking rooms) which was a bonus for us smokers as most hotels we stopped in were totally non smoking.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Huntington Beach, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2009

This was a nice hotel, but it was lacking. Rooms were small. No bathrobes, as we were told there would be. No dresser... only 2 drawers and a small closet. Had to pay for internet service available through the hotel TV for $10/day. If you want WiFi through your laptop, you have to pay and have a T-Mobile Account. High fee for parking. We weren't able to use the pool or spa as it was raining during our stay, but the pool area was nice. The beds were very comfortable.
This is an older hotel, that has had a recent makeover. The furnishings, carpet, decor is all nice, but the walls are thin and we could hear every footstep in the hall, above us, and on either side. Loud.
I won't stay here again. It was just OK.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Santa Cruz, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2009

We stayed here during a quick overnight trip to the city to see a show.

Our room was missing towels (there was only one bath towel), extra toilet paper, and coffee cups for the in-room coffee maker, but they responded quickly when we called to request them. Beds were a little soft for me. We didn't order any extras, so I can't comment on that, and we avoided the steep parking rate by parking on a nearby street.

Overall, a good stay -- great location, friendly staff, and the room was nice. We also got a great deal by bidding on PL.

• Liked — Location.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Pittsburgh, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2009

Location is key for me (age 29) and my husband (age 36). This hotel is 2 blocks from the famous Fisherman's Wharf sign and all the activity and food you can stand. We were able to walk to Alioto's, the Alcatraz cruise, Golden Gate cruise, the start of an awesome Segway tour, Lombard Street, Pier 39, bike rentals, shopping, street car stops, trolley lines, and tons of fantastic street entertainment.

The Hyatt offers all the amenitites including a medium-sized, outdoor pool and hot tub that you'll never use because you'll be off exploring the area.

If price is an issue there was a holiday inn express across the street, but if you can swing it, the Hyatt's customer service was A+. Knuckles Bar (normally attached to hotel) was under construction when we were there, but they did put TVs in the breakfast area to watch the Steelers game. It wasn't the same, but again, they made the extra effort.

• Liked — Location!
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hyatt Fisherman's Wharf? Share your experiences!