At first glance this is a run of the mill hotel, it's not fancy but it's clean and very central. We found the staff here very nice, welcoming and helpful.
We were on the 4th floor and I couldn't sleep on the first night as there was a loud humming sound every 10 minutes, I think it was a vent of some sort. I requested to move and they upgraded us to the business level on the 5th floor and the room was much better, it also had a microwave. The pool is heated, however the gym is well not a gym at all. We went to a 24/7 gym just around the corner.
The hotel is extremely central and most, if not all tours leave from just around the corner. We booked 4 open top bus tours and all were great, however there is no need to do the night tour, its exactly the same as the day tour. It would have been nice if it was darker because we would have seen the lights of the city and bridge.
Also if you plan to head up to Union Square for dinner in the evenings just jump on the tour bus, they all go to Union Square and you've already paid anyway. You can also ride the bus all day for $2.00 and if you are waiting for a Tram and the line is busy, just walk up to the next tram stop. Some of those tram lines can take 2 hours and generally there are only a few people waiting at the next stop.
We had breakfast in the hotel once and once was enough. It was nice, but $50.00 for breakfast is a bit steep. The Hollywood Café is just down the road (go out main doors of the hotel, go right and its about a block down). The food there is amazing and great prices. Get there early, as it gets packed. We also loved the food at the Cheesecake Factory at Union Square, its on the rooftop of Macys and the views are amazing.
There is a Trader Joe's about 5 minutes walk away. We went there and stocked up with water, fruit and nuts for snacks. We also bought oatmeal which we had most days for breakfast. 27cents for a bottle of water is better that $3.00!
Alcatraz is a must and was fabulous. Book in advance as it sells out fast. And wear comfortable shoes and take a jacket, it gets cold and its a long enough walk uphill to the prison when you get off the boat.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- For business travel or San Francisco, California vacations, Holiday Inn San Francisco Fisherman s Wharf hotel welcomes you to the Bay City. When searching for top San Francisco hotels near Fisherman s Wharf, stay in comfort at our full-service San Francisco lodging. Walk to attractions including Pier 39, Alcatraz, Bay Cruise ferries and Ghirardelli Square. Hop on a cable car outside our hotel to visit Union Square, Financial District, Moscone Convention Center, Chinatown and AT&T Ballpark. After exploring the area, retreat to our San Francisco, California hotel to unwind in a room appointed with high-speed Internet access, in-room games and pay-per-view movies. For dining, enjoy a meal at the 24-hour Denny s or head to our Bristol Bar & Grill for a tantalizing meal and a drink. Additional on-site amenities include: laundry facilities, fitness center, an outdoor heated pool with sundeck and secure parking is available for $43 per day. Reserve your stay at our hotel in San Francisco, CA to be greeted with attentive service and superb accommodations in an unmatched locale. For spectacular savings, book a San Francisco travel package or hotel deal. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, HotelTravel.com and Priceline so you can book your Holiday Inn San Francisco Fishermans Wharf reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn San Francisco Fishermans Wharf Hotel San Francisco
- San Francisco Holiday Inn