I had not planned ahead for a business trip and ended up booking at this hotel based loosely on the 'close' proximity to the event I was attending. Based on the pictures, the lobby looked great and the bar/restaurant appeared nicely updated. Much like the chain where I am a member. However, the cab pulled up to the hotel - not such a great area of town and I literally almost stepped in dog poop getting out town and there were panhandlers right there asking me for money. I checked in and the front desk staff was extremely professional and helpful. I needed to arrange a ride almost immediately and there was a town car available right outside (appeared that the gentleman worked the hotel) however, they were smoking from a hookah pipe as I walked up. (a touch unprofessional) I asked if there was a cab to the convention center and he said it was a $20 minimum charge so I walked off to hail a cab. Well, he chased me down and what would have been a $7 cab fare was $10 (although he was standing around doing 'nothing'). Not such a great start. The room although clean smelled like a dirty baby diaper. And there were warnings about not opening doors after 6:00, etc. Not too comforting as a woman traveling for work. I had forgotten some essentials and stopped at the gift shop, right in the hotel. they didn't allow you to charge to a room and didn't take Amex. I am there for business and the wifi kept dropping connections and made it almost impossible to email and conduct business. BUT. it was included in the price of the room. Enough of the negatives..just needed to get those out of the way.
Ok, since I travel much with work, I will tell you what can make or break a stay....Service! And this hotel offered some of the best service that I have experienced anywhere. From the front desk, who was super friendly about storing bags, giving directions, making restaurant reservations, fixing a broken latch on my suitcase, to the housekeeping staff... whoever trains and manages this staff as well as the staff itself should be acknowledged.
One of my coworkers met me for a drink at the bar (great looking bar for the hotel, by the way) and the bartender treated that establishment like it was her own. The kitchen didn't open for an hour after we were there and we just wanted some snacks with our drinks. (the bar didn't offer peanuts, etc.) She ran to the gift shop and bought some out of her own pocket. Very friendly and helpful about the area and kept us engaged. the last night I was there, she ordered from a local restaurant as their kitchen wasn't open yet. I ordered a drink and she made the call and made sure I had some utensils to take to my room and even called room service to pick up the boxes, etc after I was done. I wish I had gotten her name, someone needs to give a huge 'Atta' Girl' and possibly a raise to this gal. I stayed August 26 - 29th and was in the hotel bar area at 5:00. Hopefully that will assist in identifying her. She and the rest of the staff made up for the location and some of the shortfalls. Check out was efficient and quick.
I wish there were minor improvements to the hotel itself, however, if I could pick it up and move it to a bit better location, the service would push this to a 5 star hotel..
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Inn Civic Center Hotel is a AAA 3 Diamond, full service hotel located in the San Francisco Performing Arts and Government District. Our hotel location is just steps from City Hall, Orpheum Theater, San Francisco s Opera and Ballet, Davies Symphony Hall and Asian Art Museum. Guests at the Holiday Inn Civic Center Hotel San Francisco will enjoy our complimentary Wireless Internet access throughout the hotel, free HBO, outdoor heated pool and sundeck, fitness center, and on site laundry facilities. Drinks and dining are available at the Jubilee Restaurant/Conversations Lounge. Major Credit Cards are required at check in. Indoor parking offered for $29 per day if driving in from either the San Francisco SFO or Oakland OAK airports or if traveling through the Bay Area and exploring the California Pacific Coast by car. Antique trolley cars provide convenient transportation to nearby Union Square, Chinatown, Moscone Convention Center, Fisherman s Wharf and Pier 39 attractions. Or catch the subway to the AT&T Ballpark, home to the San Francisco Giants baseball. With our 100% customer satisfaction, we look forward to welcoming you to the Holiday Inn Civic Center Hotel. We hope to be your home away from home each and every time you visit the San Francisco Bay Area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, IHG, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, HotelTravel.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Holiday Inn Civic Center (San Francisco) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Civic Center (San Francisco) Hotel San Francisco
- Holiday Inn San Francisco
- San Francisco Holiday Inn