“Not the flashest looking outside, but......” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Civic Center (San Francisco)

You added Holiday Inn Civic Center (San Francisco) to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Civic Center (San Francisco)
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   50 8th Street, San Francisco, CA 94103   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #139 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
New Zealand
“Not the flashest looking outside, but......”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Arrived on 15th February for a week long stay. Front Desk check in lady was great.. I got an upgrade to the 12th Floor with a great view from a newly renovated room, plus complimentary water and a free drink from the bar, a perk as a Platinum Elite Member. The room was great, new furnishings, bedding and free high speed internet that was fast. The girls cleaning the rooms were great, cheerful, friendly and everything was always completed by the time I returned. One of the Doormen in particular was great, im sorry I didnt get his name so I could mention him personally. One of the other doormen was a bit sultry though, not the friendliest. The homeless people around the hotel dont worry me; theyre harmless, non threatening, they just do their own thing. The homeless ARENT STREET GANGS, I think people think they are one and the same, plus you have to remember and be thankful that you dont have the life that these people have the misfortune to live. I stay downtown sometimes at the Intercontinental or up at the Mark Hopkins, but for friendliness and good value, the HICC leaves the others for dead, especially the Intercontinental on Howard Street. Plus its nice to have a balcony and let some fresh air into the room. All in all, well done, another 5 star experience..

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
HolidayInn_SFCC, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Civic Center (San Francisco), responded to this review, March 4, 2013
We are thrilled to be worthy of your five star rating! It means a lot to know that you enjoyed our friendly staff, good value and guestrooms with balconies and views. As a frequent traveler Priority Club member your experience and comments are very important and will be shared with our team. We look forward to welcoming you back to San Francisco upon your return.

Best Regards,

Holiday Inn San Francisco Civic Center

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Very good Hotel, rooms clean and lovely, Staff very friendly.
Breakfast poor, there is nothing to eat for vegans.
Gutes Hotel, sauber und sehr freundlich. Das Frühstück leider mager - es gab nicht mal Margerine statt Butter.

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you for your four star rating! We always strive to put our best foot forward in service and cleanliness so it is validating to have guests recognize our efforts. We appreciate your feedback regarding vegan dishes and are excited about our new menu coming soon to our in-house restaurant, 50onEight. We would be honored to welcome you back as a guest upon your return to San Francisco.

Warm Regards,

MCKINLEYVILLE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I would never have picked this hotel because of it's bad SoFran neighborhood. It's filled with homeless and poor who come out at night to raid trash for recycleable cans/bottles to turn in for cash. In fact, you could hear the noise of breaking glass for hours between 5PM-2AM because there was a recycling truck parked near the hotel where the bottles were poured in by the bag fulls. I wasn't particularly nervous walking back and forth between the 2 hotels hosting the weekend event we were attending because I wasn't alone. We were never actually approached for money or anything. You had to use your room key to get into a lobby bathroom or to make the elevator go Up. be warned: Very Loud Power Washing of walkways? walls? on Saturdays, on the weekend! although they did wait 'til Noon to do it. It would have gotten at least a 3 if it wasn't for two things: No microwave/refrigerator for the price and a $42. per 24 hrs. parking fee added to the bill! and I got a "cut rate" because it was one of the two hotels where the events took place. But I had to volunteer that information to get that rate which was still over a hundred a night. in Feb. no less. before parking assessment. But I think all the hotels around there do the same thing because of the low availability of parking in the area in general, so they capitalize on it. That said, the room was decent. The carpet wasn't creepy. The bedding/towels seemed new. We had to oil the squeaky bathroom door and the sliding glass door to the balcony so it would slide. But we're veteran travelers so we carry WD40. We didn't use the 4th floor pool because we were too busy night and day. Don't even know if it's Indoor. ? The bathtub caulking had visible mold on 50% of it. I had read ahead that the supposed renovations to this hotel had not extended beyond the 6th floor so I played the Senior card and requested a lower floor. When you walked into the ultra modern Lobby, you thought Wow, this is nice. Same with the hotel restaurant. Dinner was good. I recommend the salmon. melt in your mouth good. The green beans were cooked just right with a little crunch. The wait staff was excellent. heard it was pricey for breakfast, you don't get any included, so I didn't go, sleeping later every day anyway. I actually liked that there were many tall buildings around because it kept the room dark so I could sleep until 11:00AM every day, although the curtains across the sliding doors themselves looked heavy and adequate. Housekeeping honored Do Not Disturb signs, which I appreciated. Events each night went late into the night. You could hear it with the balcony door opened, but not when closed. They also replaced all the toiletries every day even if you didn't use them all. The in-room single cup coffee maker was used to also heat hot water for my instant oatmeal breakfast. We had a large cooler with us. There was no objection. The heater worked well but I could tell that they had the last say on how Low you could set the temperature for A/C. which I still use in cooler climates after a hot shower in humid areas. We hit a 70 degree "heat wave" in Feb. so we left our balcony door open a lot. nice breeze. New flat screen TV. The bed was comfortable. They don't have Queens, just one King or 2 Doubles. We opted for 2 Double beds. 4 Pillows per bed. Liked the mirrored double sliding doors on the large closet. Iron and Board included. You had to turn the hot water on a minute or so before you wanted it, but it never ran out and the pressure was good, at least on our floor. Excellent shower head, not one of those ubber water-saving ones where you get half air or just a center ring of water flow. Those things just make me take longer, so how are they saving? Lighting seems to be bad everywhere these days. You have to put every lamp/light on at once, so again, how are they saving? They slip an itemized bill under your door the morning of your checkout, and we didn't see anything about using the laptop, which I hadn't asked about. Room 519.

Room Tip: Carry WD40 for squeaky doors, hard to move sliding doors, etc. Request a room away from elevator (c...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your comments. It is always delightful to hear when guests are impressed by our beautiful lobby and in-house restaurant, 50onEight. We know how important it is to get a good night’s rest so we’re glad we could provide a comfortable bed and immediately notified housekeeping regarding the tub. Thank you again for staying with us and sharing your experience.

Kind Regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I stayed for 4 nights for a long weekend. Approx 30m from the hotel you have tram and bus stops and also main subway station. Rooms are large with double beds extremely comfy. Cleaning is excellent and staff very friendly and helpful. This was centrally located and within walking distance of main shopping area. Also for visiting Castro there was a tram stop nearby and only took 5 mins to get there.

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you very much for rating our hotel five stars! We are delighted you found our location ideal and that various means of public transportation was conveniently close. It is our pleasure to provide clean guest rooms with comfortable accommodations in your home away from home. You have many choices while staying in San Francisco, and we appreciate your choosing to say with us.

Warm Regards,

Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a night. I am from the East coast and thus I am not familiar with this area. If I know how bad the neighborhood is I wouldn't stay at this hotel. They charge parking and the hotel is old. To me safety is the most important when you travel. Stay away from this hotel and this area!! I would not recommend.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. Safety is a top priority for our hotel and for all travelers coming to San Francsico. Our central urban environment is undergoing exciting changes with a dynamic mix of new high-rise housing, shopping, cultural institutions, museums and theatres offering unique places to explore with easy access to all parts of the City. In addition, our parking prices are on the lower end of the scale for a convenient 24 hour access, secured, indoor garage.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Me and my husband came for a mini vacation to visit the city and decided to stay here at the Holiday Inn for two nights for only $328.00 .can't beat a deal like that...right...but then upon arrival the lady told me at the from desk that there would be a charge for parking...I thought ok maybe 10, 15,20 dollars....wrong.... it was $42.00 a day..
And on top of that an extra $100 for incidental fees...so I ended up having to pay almost $600.00 for 2 nights!!! Then the room was so small and the restroom...
No microwave or fridge. If u want them it's extra $ . The guy at the from desk was a jerk!!!! And our key to get in and out of the parking garage wouldn't work...I would not recommend this hotel to anyone!!!! Worst hotel I've ever stayed in!!!!

We are sorry to hear of your experience. Our parking rates is a good value compared to other downtown San Francisco secured, indoor garages with 24-hour in-and-out privileges. The $100 deposit is required only if guests would like to charge incidentals to their room without a credit card and is fully refundable upon departure if not used. Your comments are important to us to ensure we are constantly focused on improving our service and we hope we can demonstrate to you our commitment to value and service.

Best Regards,

san diego,California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Hotel operator as rude as can be, obnoxious to the point i hung up on him in mid sentence. Mold in the bathrooms, no fridge in cupboard meant to have a bridge. They want to nickle and dime you for to have a fridge which is supposed to be there in the first place.
Housekeeping is a disgrace.
Outrageous fee for parking, The only reason I chose this dump was for business as it was close to the Moscone Center.
Holiday Inn, you have a serious problem with the joint.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments. We are pleased you took advantage of our location close to Moscone Center. It is of great concern that you were not satisfied with the service and accommodations you received as customer service and cleanliness are of an utmost priority for our hotel. Our parking pricing is comparable in the downtown area with indoor, secured, 24 hour access and apologize if this was an unforeseen expense for you. We will use your feedback to help improve on our overall guest experience.

Holiday Inn San Francisco Civic Center

Been to Holiday Inn Civic Center (San Francisco)? Share your experiences!