“Think twice before staying in this hotel” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Civic Center (San Francisco)

You added Holiday Inn Civic Center (San Francisco) to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Civic Center (San Francisco)
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   50 8th Street, San Francisco, CA 94103   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #139 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Houston, Texas
“Think twice before staying in this hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

The hotel is located South of Market - or Tenderloin area. This area has a large population of homeless, and can be scary - especially at night!
When arriving at the hotel, the lobby appeared to be renovated in the last few years. It has a fireplace and was inviting. Check-in was efficient and the clerk was helpful and and efficient.
Now for the room - It was obvious the property management spent a great deal of money on updating the lobby and 1st floor. I was on the 8th floor - and perhaps they ran out of money at the 7th floor or lower because the 8th floor was definitely in dire need of updates. When arriving at my room, I was sadly disapointed. I have been staying in Holiday Inn/Intercontinental alliance brands for over 20 years, and I must say this property does not represent the normal high level for the group. I have stayed in lower priced alternatives (Holiday Inn express, Candlewood, etc.) that have been much, much nicer than this property.
Bathroom - Very, very small. Water temperature was difficult to control. It tool over 5 minutes to get hot water in the shower.
Bed - I had a king bed with 4 very small pillows that had 0 support. I think they must have bought them at the dollar store because there was absolutely no support for the neck. Thankfully, I alway bring my own pillow!
My room had a small balcony. I do enjoy rooms that have balconys, but this room had a challenge with cold air/winds blowing through the sliding glass door. No matter how tight I closed the door, the cold air continued to blow into the room.
The room had a work desk - but interestingly enough there we absolutely NO electrical outlets at the desk or within 10 feet of the desk. They did have a power outlet located at the bedside, but how many people actually work from the bed???
Biggest concern on this property - I ordered food from an external delivery restaurant the 1st night. (Room service menu was over priced and had a limited menu) We finished our dinner and had a great amount of food left over. We decided to discard the remaining food and trash in a trash can located in the floor hallway so the room would not smell of food. We found a trashcan in the hallway next to the soda-machines. When we left the next day, we noticed the trash was still there (no problem) - Day 2 - trash still there. Day 3 - trash still there and starting to smell very bad - remember there was left over perishable food discarded - Day 4 - Trash was STILL there and the smell was becoming unbearable. I finally decided to complain at the front desk - when I returned that evening it was finally removed. In my mind, keeping the trash cleared is one of the foundamental and primary responsibilities of a hotel - for this reason, I have come to the conclusion that I will never patronize this hotel again. There is obviously a serious management issue at this hotel - so I would think twice before staying at this hotel. Spending a few extra dollars will be well worth it next time!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Civic Center (San Francisco), responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear roadwarrior2_11,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you encountered during. We will certainly discuss your comments with our staff. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. Thank you again for your review and we hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Montréal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I arrived from the airport with the BART (8.25$). The stop is just 2 minutes walk from the hotel. My check in was efficient and I get my room before the check-in time. As a priority member I was upgrade. They give me a bottle of water and a voucher for a complementary drink at the bar (the bartender is really nice and smiley person). Every body aat the reception was very nice and smiley.

Yes the room could be updated but mine was large enough, clear, quite confortable and - most important for me - very clean. The maid, Marilyn, take care to make sure everything is ok.
Yes the slidding door are "vintage" but there is not a lot of hotel that have a balcony in SF.
So I can complain.
And finally, the free internet wifi worked fine.

Yes there are a lot homeless around - there is a lot of homeless every where in SF - I've never seen so many nowhere - but as a women traveling alone I never feel in danger.

The hotel is very well located in the middle of the city.
Just at the corner there is the "F" car which will bring you along Market toward the Ferry building and to the Fisherman wharf. Take the cable car for your return trip and walk up on market to the hotel.

Three time a week there is a market on UN plaza 2-3 minutes from the hotel. It is the same kind of market then the one on Saturday at the Ferry building but without the crazy crowds.

For breakfast, try to Dottie's True Blue Cafe 28 6th St - two blocks from the hotel. You won't be disappointed.

The only bad thing for me is that they charge for the use of the business center. I did an agenda for my trip and instead of printing it at home and travelling with all the paper with me, I thought to print them on-site day after day - bad idea! I had to pay - minimum $ 5 to do it.

Really a good choice for everybody who need a nice and not expensive place to stay in SF.
Thank you to all the staff that make my stay a very nice one.

Room Tip: The information center is just a couple of block away and if you want to eat at your hotel, there is...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I found this hotel to be a moderately priced hotel in the center of things. The room was large and clean but rather spartan, not even a single picture. The balcony was nice because we both smoke. Located just down the street from the major shopping area on Market St and Union Center. Easy access to public transportation. The area does seem a little "dodgy", as another reviewer commented, but nothing to be concerned about. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Santa Fe, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

This hotel is quite convenient to the BART and major transport lines along Market Street, making it convenient for travel around the city. However the neighborhood is a bit dodgy, particularly at night. Despite the location, the hotel interior appears to have had recent renovations, although the rooms themselves are rather basic, but functional. I get cold easily and did not appreciate the lack of a duvet on the bed. After coming out of the rain after a long day, I'd like to have warmed up under some covers, but the bed contained basically two sheets.

My main complaint though about this property is the poor attention to customer service. Due to an issue with how my reservation was booked, it was necessary to re-check in (but keep the same room). I had no issue with this, as it was most likely a computer thing. However, having forgotten to go down and re-check-in, a staff member knocked on my door and entered the room, telling me I had to go down immediately and take care of this issue. She was visibly irritated with me. She then entered past me in my room and said she needed to look around to see if I was packed in the event I needed to vacate. I felt like I was being treated like a trespassing criminal. I got the matter straightened out, but was next confronted by a darling housekeeper. When I stay in a hotel, I decline maid service as I am in and out of the room during the day and do not wish to be disturbed. The housekeeper told me that since I had declined service for a few days, she had to clean my room or she would be reprimanded by her supervisor. I explained I did not need service, but she said she had no choice. Finally, one night I ordered room service. I made a substitution on the menu and was assured this was no problem. When the order came, it was incorrect. I called to get the order corrected and was told the error was mine for making the substitution (french fries for potato chips). Again, I was made to feel like I was inconveniencing the staff.

The front desk staff and bell staff were very nice; I just felt like for a 7 night stay, or even a 1 night stay, some of the staff I encountered could have displayed better customer service. If you don't mind being talked down to by hotel staff and a bit of a bad neighborhood, the value here is good and the proximity to public transport make it a decent experience. However, I would probably not stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

When compared to the other major hotels in the area the Holiday Inn was the better choice for room prices. Good location,nice sized rooms, clean, and free wi-fi. Parking was expensive at $40+ a night. Breakfast off the menu was the better choice as the buffet was $21+. Would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Los Altos, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This hotel has had what appears to be a fairly dramatic makeover recently,and it shows inth elobby and rooms alike. that is until you look a little closer. Althought the rooms are comfortable, including the bed, the sliding doors have not been updated. they are circa 197X aluminum framed, and do not make a tight seal, allowing downtown city noise to penetrate.

The bartender on duty was cheerful, and poured a solid drink, and the front desk staff was very friendly and efficient. Value for money, but please fix the sliding doors!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an updated sliding glass door, if available.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Brussels
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We arrived from the airport with the bus and the stop is just 5 minutes walking from the hotel and it is very cheap.
The check in has been very efficient and we can go to our room before starting the visit of San Francisco.
The area even though there are some homeless is quite safe (at least the day or early evening) and it is well situated for the exploration of the city.
The room was quite confortable and everything was ok.
For the internet, there is free wifi and the possibility to use the PC located in the ground floor to do the check in for all (or almost all) airline companies. And this is a positive thing.
Our rate didn't include the breakfast but you can easily find some places for breakfast.
We didn't use but there is also a souvenir shop and a concierge which can book for you some trips.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Civic Center (San Francisco)? Share your experiences!