“Staff was excellent” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Civic Center (San Francisco)

You added Holiday Inn Civic Center (San Francisco) to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Civic Center (San Francisco)
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   50 8th Street, San Francisco, CA 94103   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #139 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Drayton Valley, Canada
“Staff was excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We stayed at this property for one night September 25th, 2012. The staff, upon check in, were excellent. We are priority club members and they had upgraded us to an executive floor. The room had modern decor and was very clean. I loved the pillow choices! While we were checking in a large group arrived and still time was taken to answer all our tourist questions. We recieved maps, directions and were given advice on the choices of transportation to Fishermans Wharf. The area is a little sketchy and I would certainly use caution during the evening but daytime was fine for walking and is really just a couple blocks from the Union Square area. The property has construction going on nearby so tended to be a bit noisey in the morning. I would recommend and stay at this property again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here on business as there were no other hotels with rooms.
The area isn't great, I was on business and could look after myself, if I had my kids I would be nervous especially at night.
That said the trams and busses run very regularly for 2 dollars 50 meters from the door and takes only 5 mins downtown
If you end up here it's not too bad. Room was quite good......but avoid any rooms by the lift very noisy!

• Stayed September 2012
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Stayed here at the begining of September whilst visiting San Fran for the 1st time..

Hotel - exactly what you would expect from a Holiday Inn ! Clean and reasonable price

Neigbourhood - we read the reviews before hand and were a little concerned to be honest ...However... we walked home at every time of the day (and night) and yes there are homeless but we never had any problems... just say 'no thanks' and walk on by..... The Tenderloin area of SF is renowned for the homeless as a local taxi driver informed us, thats because of the climate and San Fran look after the not so fortunate, Tenderloin atracts the homelss as the city provide for them....
Location - just about 10 mins walk to Union Square and a $18 from the Piers, we walked for miles in san fran and the hotel is close the the 'Hop on Hop off' bus stop so was always handy...

Overall - OK !!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Sacramento
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Stayed here last night and a number of times in the past. It's clean, has parking and a good restaurant for breakfast. Free wifi. Not the greatest neighborhood. You'll find many great neighborhoods to visit and walk. This isn't one of them. We usually drive from here to other parts of town but a taxi is reasonable too. e.g. $10 to Chinatown.

Los Alamitos, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

I stayed at this hotel a week ago. I was a bit dismayed when I saw the neighborhood - very seedy, and I felt uncomfortable walking to the trolley station around the corner on Market Street. I will say that check-in was quick and easy, and the staff were polite. Our room was OK, but the beds were very small, and the mattresses were uncomfortable - we all awoke with backaches the next morning. We also had to contend with the noise from the busy streets below - even though we were on the 9th story. What really upset me, though, is that we had a function to attend before checking out on Sunday and not wanting to leave our belongings in our SUV (did I mention that parking is $43 a night!), we left them with the front desk, who said they would be safe in a room right off the lobby. I guess I should have taken the time to check all the bags before we left, because when we got home, I discovered my Kindle and a charger for my iPhone were both gone from my bag. We immediately called the hotel to report it, but of course were told no one had found anything. I didn't expect anyone to own up to it, but they could have at least pretended to have cared about the missing items. I am extremely angry and disappointed to have experienced this with a well-known hotel, and I will definitely not stay here again. If you do, make sure you keep your valuables close at-hand.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Civic Center (San Francisco), responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear TalulahBellle,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Janice A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

This is a decaying Holiday Inn. The lobby looks great but beyond that, this hotel has a lot of physical problems.

I am an IHG Priority Club Platinum Elite member. We booked two rooms for this stay over Folsom Street Fair weekend 2012, 9/21-24. We also stayed at the hotel last year at the same year. A year made for a lot of changes in the quality of the upkeep of this hotel.

We booked a King with Sofa Bed, received the same. Also, booked a second room, Two Doubles Smoking, received the same.

Rooms are being poorly maintained. For the second room, my friend who was occupying it had to change his room 5 times over two days. First room had the strongest smoke smell I have ever enountered in a hotel room. Second room smelled like a locker room, terribly musty. Third room had an overflowing toilet (and toilet was not properly cleaned at time of entering room for the first time). Fourth room was not cleaned despite being given by front desk. Fifth room had huge stain on carpeting but was the best overall (and also had a sink drain problem). As for the first room, it is just getting old. Big stain on the sofa. Still has an 80's look to it with a flatscreen tv as the only updated addition (as well as a funky electrical outlet center next to it so as you can plug in multiple electrical devices...an odd inconvenient place for it).

Good:
Fast free wifi.
Hotel bar - Asian female bartender is the greatest!
Hotel front desk staff very nice.
When requesting extra towels and other items, they were brought very fast.
Free drink coupon and 2 bottles of water for each Platinum check-in (I had 3 one-day back to back reservations and they gave us this daily because of this)

Bad:
Hotel can't merge back-to-back reservations. Had to re-key and re-check-in with paperwork daily.
Rooms vary in quality from somewhat up to date to refreshed 80's.
Very few tv channels. No more than a dozen cable channels plus some local channels.
Construction nearby. Don't expect to sleep past 7 am Monday-Saturday with the high rise construction on both the southeast side (8th street at Mission - NE corner) or northwest side of the hotel (9th Street just south of Market - East side of street). This is VERY loud and even over a noisy a/c unit, you will hear it. Not their fault but this would certainly steer me away from this property even if it was in perfect shape.
Beds are on the hard side.
Dust bunnies will be sleeping under your bed.
Parking is $42+ per night.
Very small bathroom. Noisy plumbing.
Thin walls. Could hear squeaky bathroom door and noisy plumbing from next room.
Air Conditioner would not cool to temp. selected. You can put it down as low as 60 but it will still turn off at 70.
Maid threw away over $20 in my partner's toiletries - most expensive being brand new never used 4-pack of razor blades - and hotel replaced with just standard cheap 99 cent store crap.
$2 for wash, $2 for dry in their laundry room on 4th floor (2 washers, 2 dryers). Don't use dryer on left of two. One load took $4 just to dry. Free soap at front desk.

Used points. It was decent value at 20K points which I booked but has since gone to 25K points.
NOT a chance that we would EVER return (which is too bad as I do like most of the staff). They would have to do a major remodel to the rooms for me to ever return...I'll be staying at another IHG property in San Francisco from now on...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Civic Center (San Francisco), responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear CalItalian,

Thank you for being a Platinum Priority Club Rewards Member and taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I am delighted to know that you had a good experience with our staff and found our Internet service suitable for your needs. Please accept my sincerest apology for any inconvenience you experienced with our room accommodations and noise levels at the hotel. Whilst I am pleased with the good comments, I truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Abergavenny, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We stayed here as part of a prebooked Fly drive holiday.
Basically what most other reviewers say is pretty accurate. The check in staff were friendly and made us feel welcome. Our room was fine, the free wifi was fast enough. We had one evening meal at the hotel restaurant and it was one of the best caesar salads I can remember having. The price was reasonable and service was quick and efficient..
But...... the area is awful, apart from the problem of homeless people hanging around the street the hotel is on, it takes a good 30-45 minutes on the crowded tram to get down to Fishermans Wharf. This only cost 2 dollars though, and for that you can ride again if you keep your ticket (within a four hour time period).
There is a starbucks just round the corner at another hotel. The map showed another one a little way away, we started to walk to it but quickly felt that we were heading into an even worse part of the area, so we abandoned the walk.
Parking was expensive but convenient. There is a tiny shop in the hotel foyer but it only sells the basics.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Civic Center (San Francisco)? Share your experiences!