“Bay view rooms really do have amazing bay views” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Harbor Court Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel

Bookmark
You added Harbor Court Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Harbor Court Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   165 Steuart Street, San Francisco, CA 94105 (Financial District)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Save 50% on Parking
Ranked #30 of 236 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Diego
“Bay view rooms really do have amazing bay views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Really wonderful historic (1926) hotel; I've been wanting to stay here for awhile based on all the positive reviews. Great location, right across from the fabulous ferry building, and the bay view rooms have amazing up-close views of the bay - you feel like you're almost on the water. Apparently, before the 1989 earthquake, the view was just a wall of cement, but after the Embarcadero Freeway was torn down, it now has a beautiful view of the Bay Bridge.

The room was cozy (i.e., not very large), but just fine for 1 night w/ super comfy bed, animal print bathrobes (fun), and practical desk. They have free WiFi, free happy hour wine, and evening cookies, and free coffee in the morning starting really early (nice touch); also use of the top-quality YMCA next door w/ huge swimming pool (thought it was free, but it's $10). Definitely recommend, especially if you can get a bay view room.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Greenwich, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

I would like to preface this by saying that this is an excellent hotel and I would stay here any time again. I highly recommend it to people who are not narrow minded.

San Francisco has a reputation for being easy going about people's personal choices. This is something that I find to be a great reason to love San Francisco.

However, I do have to say that this was perhaps the wrong hotel to bring staid Japanese colleagues to stay at! The hotel is next to the YMCA and the staff were extremely friendly and efficient. However, they were also clearly not hetero. When I got to my room I found two
leopard pattern bathrobes in the closet as well. My colleagues were clearly taken aback.

One negative is that the rooms are quite small and stuffy. This is the main draw back to the hotel.

But the hotel has a lot of pluses including but not limited to the location. The staff were really friendly and efficient. The hotel had a wine tasting for free in the evening and there were also chocalate chip cookies when we got back to the hotel during the evening. This is the kind of small touch that differentiates a hotel from its peers and kudos to them for doing this.

Parking was much easier than I expected and the location was excellent.
This is a really fine hotel execept for the size of the room.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Stayed at this hotel during my time in San Francisco, and have to say its the one redeeming feature of my trip, after enduring the endless beggars that clutter San Francisco, it was nice to come back to my room with the view of the Bay Bridge and relax.

The hotel is brilliant, ive read reviews that say the rooms are too small, well, for a Brit, the room was big enough, with a wardrobe, desk and wall mounted TV, bedside cabinets, I had upgraded to a room with a view of the Bay Bridge, so if you are a cheapskate, then yeah, the rooms, maybe small, pay extra and you wont be disappointed.

The Bay Bridge has thousands of LEDs and at night they play a fantastic light show that I watched from my bed, it stops about 2am.

The hotel doesnt have a restaurant, but there are plenty within walking distance, but does provide complimentary coffee in the morning, including take-out cups, theres free wine and beer between 5 and 6pm, and warm chocolate chip cookies at 9pm.

The staff are really friendly and accomodating. They have safety deposit boxes to put things like your passports in.

I have nothing bad to say about this hotel, and if I ever go back to San Francisco, I would definitely stay here again.

If you are planning on a trip to San Francisco however, be prepared for thousands of homeless beggars, it did my head in, that i couldnt walk 100 yards down the street without being accosted for money, the same goes for travelling on public transport. my tip would be take a taxi from the hotel to whereever you want to go.

Room Tip: upgrade to a bay view room, large, brilliant views.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Royston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Our first trip into San Francisco, our first 2 nights of a 17 night road trip.

A lovely hotel, very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful staff. Room is quite nice, we were on the back of the hotel, not on the harbour view, and our only gripe was the nose coming from cooler and extraction fans outside, which were a bit noisier than the aircon in the room ( which we turned off).

Very comfortable room with great amenities.

Breakfast is served in your room from a selected "cold" breakfast, which makes it quite relaxing.

There is always fresh drinking water available in the lobby, and a free wine and beer tasting in the lounge in the evening.
One of the paradox's was the lighting of the gas fire in the lounge whilst the air conditioning was on?
Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here, located right on the harbor, a short walk ot the main streets, cable and tram cars.

would happily return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Melinda M, General Manager at Harbor Court Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Thanks for your comments, please come back to see us again before the end of your road trip...how fun! Thanks, Melinda
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I travel to San Francisco often for work, and this hotel is where I choose to stay each time I visit the city. Having spent a lot of time (and money) in some of the larger hotel chains, I'd grown accustomed to their (high) level of customer service, most times. This, and other Kimpton hotels I've stayed at, blows them out of the water when it comes to customer service. I continue to be impressed with the warmth and attentiveness of the staff, who take care of any issues that come up quickly and with a smile on their faces. The location can't be beat, either - it's a 2 minute walk to the Ferry Building. If and when my family and I come to San Francisco for vacation, this is where we will stay. It's not even a question any more.

Spring for a bay view room. It's worth it.

Room Tip: Get a bay view room is you like daylight.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

This was our 3rd stay at this hotel. It has such a wonderful location right next to the SF Bay bridge and directly across the street (Embarcadero) from the bay itself. So you can go out the door and be on the waterfront walk. The building is old, but very well maintained. The only complaints I have are that the windows are too small to get the full effect of the view. While there is no restaurant in the hotel, the japanese one next door (Ozumo) is very good and offers room service. Other than that there are no less than 3 other restaurants in the same block as the hotel: Boulevard (one of my favorites), Perry's Nice for breakfast, Chaya (see my review).

What I especially like about this place beside location? This is a dog friendly hotel which I love even if I don't have my dog(s) with me. Wine in the afternoon and coffee in the morning in the lobby. Very friendly and helpful staff.

Room Tip: Absolutly get a bay view room. If you are driving check out the package including parking. If you...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

My mother and I stayed here for a few nights for our first trip to San Francisco, and really enjoyed our stay. The rooms are indeed very, very small, but clean and with a comfortable bed. The view of the Bay Bridge from our room was beautiful, especially with the light show running during our stay. It is definitely worth the extra few dollars to upgrade, especially if it's your first trip to the city.
On Easter they even did a little egg hunt, leaving chocolate eggs in the rooms and throughout the lobby. It was such a nice touch! The staff were all wonderful to deal with as well.
My only complaint about this hotel is regarding the parking (valet only), as it is located on a small, one way road and there are very few spots to pull into to register. It made our arrival a little stressful, but the rest of the stay made up for it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Harbor Court Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!