“My excellent experience started before I arrived” 5 of 5 stars

Handlery Union Square Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   351 Geary Street, San Francisco, CA 94102   |
Ranked #52 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
Monterey
“My excellent experience started before I arrived”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I had an appointment in Oakland, CA and was going to SF after. I called the Handlery Hotel on my way to SF from Oakland. I talked to "Jeff" at the front desk and asked him when was the earliest I could check in. He looked up my reservation and said, "Your room is ready for you now". It was before noon so I was very happy that I did not have to wait around for three hours before checking in. Thank you Jeff! I parked the car right there in the garage in the Handlery and went to check in. My next excellent experience was with "Tony" at the front desk. He was very nice and efficient at getting me checked in and on my way to the room. I should mention now that I listen to KGO AM 810 radio and took advantage of the "KGO Package" that is advertised on air. It includes a deluxe room, 20% off dining at The Daily Grill and, best of all, FREE PARKING! Tony said to me that Jon Handlery would have greeted me personally if he were at the hotel. He was not there on Saturday :( The room was exactly as I expected it to be. It was on a higher floor (6th) and facing out to Geary Street. It is in the historic part of the hotel which is older. You really get the feel of the City when you can look out and see the cable cars, Union Square and all the people going about their business. I had a great view of all of that plus Union Square. The Hotel also left a bag of goodies for me upon arrival in the room. What a welcome treat! The Handlery Union Square Hotel is perfectly situated in the heart of San Francisco. You can easily walk to any part of the city from this location. I had lunch at The Daily Grill the next day and had a wonderful meal. I had their "mini" chicken pot pie and Caesar Salad. The mini pie was just the right comfort food to have on a breezy afternoon in the City. Accompanied by a Caesar Salad and a Bloody Mary, it was just right! I will most certainly stay again at The Handlery Union Square Hotel and take advantage of the KGO Package. Maybe next time I will stay during the week and be able to meet Mr. Handlery in person!
Thank you Handlery Hotel and staff for making my experience and excellent one, all around.

Room Tip: High floor facing Geary St.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

2,319 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (514)
  • Finnish first
Fort Worth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Stayed here on a business trip. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was small but had everything I needed. The temperature in the room was perfect every day and the cleaning staff was very respectful and helpful. I have long hair and asked for extra shampoo plus conditioner on my first day and every day after they continued to put extra samples in my bath. I would definitely stay here again. Perfect location to trolley and lots of shopping.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I traveled with five of my friends. My roommate and I had one of the larger rooms with a sitting area large enough for all six of us to gather. It increased the enjoyment of our stay considerably. The rooms were clean and nicely furnished. The service was wonderful. The concierge and the doorman were extremely helpful giving us directions and getting us taxis. The desk people were friendly and also very helpful. This was my second stay here. The location is great. This will be the hotel of my choice when I am in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with sitting area. They are usually the same price as the smaller rooms.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

My wife and I had three extremely comfortable nights at the Handlery. Great location, great staff. The room might have been small, but it was well equipped and the bathroom excellent. We could not have been happier with our choice of a hotel in San Francisco. Jim M

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

This is a little better than average hotel.m it appears to be an older and to have had a pretty good remodeling. It could use a little refresh (paint) in the halls, elevator etc.

The location is excellent and they have done a pretty good job of updating the hotel. However the interior finishes are not as nice as what one finds in most of the high end hotels today. No granite in the bathrooms, that old marbelite faux finish. The bathrooms are small and same ith the rooms.

The hotel seems as though its two or three buildings. One walks to the back of the hotel and takes another elevator to get to the back rooms. It may be because it has a courtyard.

Parking is $42 a day which is average I expect for San Fran. However the valets are good and it works nicely.

The lobby is clean, tasteful, contemporary and it feels freshly remodeled.

Not a bad choice. I would look at others next time as its not necessary a keeper in my book. It's also not a do not stay. It's been a while since I visited San Fran, so I need to find my hotel.

The gym is basic with a couple of treadmills, elliptical and a weight bench. It gets full in the morning.

Location is excellent. Almost Cross the street from Union Square, blocks from Chinatown, the theatre etc. Great location.

Room Tip: Really depends on what you want. Some around the pool, some have a view out the front and others th...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Wyong, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel and is very well positioned. The rooms are quite spacious and very neat and tidy. The hotel is right on Union Square and is very well located to cable cars and bus services. Hotel service is very good. Would stay here again. Complimentary breakfast was yummy as well.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Great location if you're needing businesses in the Union Square area or if you are a tourist. We stayed in the "historic" part of the hotel, and it was just fine. We used a travelzoo deal, and it was a great value for the location. We would stay again another time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Handlery Union Square Hotel? Share your experiences!