“Excellent Location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #57 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Sarasota, Florida
“Excellent Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

the location of this hotel is excellent, right on Union Square, where all the stores and restaurants are. The room we stayed in was very large, however, the AC intake vent was directly over one of the beds, a bit odd. The shower was so tiny that a person 6 foot or more would not be able to bath in it and there was not a bathtub.
The City Grill restaurant was downstairs and the food was great! I would stay here again, but would ask for a room with a larger shower.

Room Tip: Ask about the shower size.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
HandleryHotelsMgr, Owner at Handlery Union Square Hotel, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Dear Carrie R,
Thank you for visiting from Florida. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and your dining experiences in the Daily Grill. We look forward to having you back from the Sunshine State again.

President, Handlery Hotels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (571)
  • Finnish first
Vacaville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I have been hearing their add on radio for a long time so when I wanted a special place to celebrate my 80th birthday, I called them and am so happy I did. Our room was pristeen with a city view which we preferred. The location is handy for shopping and other needs. Staff are the best. I have traveled all over the country and abroad and the consideration of the staff exceeds those of other cities. We plan to stay at the Handlery whenever we stay in San Francisc or San Diego.

The restaurant "City Grill" is very good and the staff again is terrific.

Room Tip: If you are not superstitious room 666 is the best.
Dear Sharon E.
Thank you for staying with us and posting your review on TripAdvisor. I am glad you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to having you back.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

The location of this hotel is ideal if you want Macy's, Bloomingdales and designer labelled shops within a 5 minute walk. A number of tour buses were available 2 minutes down the street. The staff are friendly and competent. The room was clean. The bathroom didn't initially look very appealing but the shower was ok and the "dressing table" area was handy. It was spotlessly clean. We had breakfast included in our package. For this we had to go to the restaurant called the Daily Grill which we accessed via a corridor from the hotel reception and handed in a voucher every day. We were given a choice of 3 breakfasts and they were all reasonable (American Breakfast, Grenola or Waffle). The portions were adequate and the majority of the staff were friendly. The only gripe I had with the restaurant was that the milk/maple syrup jugs were not always fresh. I found the hotel very competitively priced considering the area it is in.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Oreo99,
Thank you for staying at the Handlery and I was pleased that you enjoyed your visit. I will follow up on your suggestions with regards to the restaurant. Thank you again for staying with us.

Earls Colne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

We had an historic queen room overlooking a courtyard. Large room with good facilities.
Great location but lots of noise from street musicians until 10pm every night.
Good service and adjoining daily grill provides good food.
Cables cars to travel the city are just around the corner.

• Stayed November 2012
HandleryHotelsMgr, Owner at Handlery Union Square Hotel, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Dear Graham S,
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay from the UK. I am pleased you enjoyed our hotel and your dining experiences in the Daily Grill. I am working with the local police department on the musicians who play late into the night. We hope to have you come across the pond again and stay with us. Thanks for staying at the Handlery.

Lincoln
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Stayed here for 5 nights in November. Hotel very accommodating, room comfortable. Would have got 5 stars except for the noise from an outside extractor fan, which doyble glazing may have solved.
The hotel provided a kettle, fridge and breakfast at the daily grill. We got the train from the airport which was then just a 5 minute walk to the hotel. We used public transport the whole time and got a 3 day pass for $21.
Loved San Fransico and the Handlery made it more memorable.
Didn't use the pool or sauna as we didn't have time

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet spot as on a busy street
Dear Impssuporter,
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at our hotel. I am pleased you found our hotel accommodating and we are looking at solutions to lower the noise level from the outside. We hope to see you again in the near future and thank you again for staying with us.

Cayman islands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We just spent 4nights at the Handlery Union square. It was a trip to celebrate your 25th wedding, I found a special deal through a marketing website, and that was my deciding factor as it seemed to be the kind of hotel I wanted looking at the photos of the hotel. At check in, when asked our reason for staying, we mentioned that it was our anniversary and were excited to be told we would be getting a bottle of champagne sent up. Our bellman told us when delivering our luggage that two complimentary bottles of water are supplied daily. Well we never got our champagne, we never got our bottled water and when re asked why we were told they only supply water for the first night!!??? Our room wasn't made up oneday, we returned at 5pm informed the front desk, we're told it would be seen to, well when we returned at midnight, it still wasn't made up. I was hoping when we checked out we would be asked about our stay, so we could mention this, we weren't and only got a half greeting as we handed over our keys. We only discovered on day three that the hotel had a sauna, or that the restaurant served all day. So in my opinion, the hotel service needs to be sorted as it always seemed one staff member didn't know what the other was doing, even down to getting our bags for checkout....took nearly 20mins while the transport was waiting. Would I stay there agin, probably not as so many hotels in the area, but certainly not for a special occassion like and anniversary! Nothing special at all. Last comment...concierge was efficient but certainly not friendly, we felt like we were putting him out and that he was bored with our questions.

Room Tip: We were on second floor overlooking the street, but the rooms are pretty sound proof, so didn't...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
HandleryHotelsMgr, Owner at Handlery Union Square Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear avward,
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay and my apologies with regards to the level of service you received. Our family has been in business for over 85 years and we have always taken pride in exceeding our guest's expectations. I wish you had let me know while you were in the hotel as I am sure I could have turned your impression around. Thank you for letting me know and we hope to have you give us another try.

San Jose, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Spent the night here for my girlfriend's birthday. We used the KNBR special (not sure if it's listed on their website anymore, but I hear the advertisement all the time on the radio), which got us a queen bed, parking, and 20% off the daily grill. I thought it was a good deal, especially since the parking was included. Room was very clean and we thought it was very spacious, especially for San Francisco. All workers seemed friendly and helpful (the valet guy in the parking garage was a little moody, but other than him, everyone else was great).

Great location too, especially if you're looking to be very close to Union Square.

Room Tip: Look into the KNBR Special (deluxe room, parking + 20% off daily grill)
Dear Doug I,
Thanks for taking the time to post your review of our hotel. I am glad you had a great experience and a belated Happy Birthday wish to your girlfriend. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you before her next birthday.

President, Handlery Hotels

Been to Handlery Union Square Hotel? Share your experiences!