“Very Nice Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Canada
“Very Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2014

I was here for a week this month, was a very nice hotel, even after the earthquake :) The staff are in the main very charming and seem very genuine. The 32nd floor lounge hosts are very nice people indeed and the housekeeping supervisor on 30 I kept seeing in the elevator area is very affable as well, she was thanking me all the time for staying at her hotel. You don't hear that much! It's a busy place, I like the warm tone & modern decor very much, some of the furnishings are a bit worn after the refurb, like a large crack through the bathroom sink in the room I had and a very squeaky desk chair, but it is a very clean and efficient space. I really did like the electric black-out blind. Perfectly situated in the heart of tourist SFO, it was also handy for the convention centre and not much of a hill to hike at all from the Moscone depending on the route you take. It is a very busy area, felt very safe though, you can get magnificent views from this hotel. I would love to have tried a suite, but no upgrade possible :( The club lounge though has some lovely hors d'ouvres and little cakes; breakfast is very pleasant in there. The hotel feel is very upbeat and positive, without alienating any age, the decor is very warm and inviting as I said before - I should take some lessons for my own home! Some of the concierges are so good, I only wish I could recall names better - smaller, middle aged, lots of dark hair lady - she's great! And again, so genuine!
I would point out that in all this wonderful world of very upbeat surroundings there are a couple of oddities other than the squeaky chair which made my teeth grate - and they are not insurmountable: The front desk doesn't seem sure of weekend hours in the lounge. I did call maintenance on one room (toilet banging) but they said they were there yet it did same thing after, so I didn't bother with a squealing chair call. The hotel layout is such that if you get a king bed, you get a shower. If you want a tub and shower you need a room with two beds. It is how the place is designed. Again front desk seems confused on it, but the hotel should make this known up front as literally everyone is confused, incl. guests I spoke to who missed the tub - but everyone likes king beds, so they opt for that not knowing what they lost or why. Same with extra charges, for example packages: I had asked on Facebook if hotel could take in packages, sure they said, no problem. No mention of fees or how much. On arrival package awaited and I said several more on the way, sure they said, still no mention of fees. On checkout day, on the TV there was the room bill and you guessed it, no mention of fees. However after running the credit card, on the printed receipt is 35$ charge for packages. I don't mind paying fees if they are upfront. Obviously no one was upfront, or maybe no one knew.
All of these things are communication issues. I stay in a few hotels of differering brands, none are entirely perfect and it's unfair to expect that. This hotel is well on the way however, you will like the product and service you buy here and in many ways the company and hotel manager are very lucky to have quite genuine folks on their front lines. The fake smiles at so many places are easily pushed aside. I and some of the hotel guests I met all agreed, it was a great experience overall d Hyatt does have a good product on offer. The genuine smiles and comments are the only ones you remember of course, so the experience has longevity.
I was originally on 32, but a family of hippos or some such wildlife moved in and stomped on the floor backwards and forwards all night long. Next day I asked if room above was staying longer, they were, so I requested a move and the hotel did do that for me after I packed all my stuff. Point of this being noise can carry through the floors, although those occupants may have been extreme. Noise in hotels is somewhat unique, but in this case a second doorway in between bathroom and sleeping area would quell all those hotel doors banging as people come and go as well as staff. No hotel does this though, I have to ask why... Who would pay a bit more for a g'teed quiet room? I would! The whole marketing effort in the hotel biz is restful sleep.
Ok flight is called, so I have to run, lucky you! Or I would ramble forever. Good Bye San Francisco!

Room Tip: See the comment on bathrooms. Noise does carry from upper floor, so if an elephant checks in you ne...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (570)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2014

We looked at the previous reviews and two weeks prior to arriving asked for a room a little farther from the construction. The staff were very accommodating and immediately arranged this for us.We were assigned a room on the 31st floor with a view of the bay and it was spectacular. We enjoyed our room and had 11 beautiful days !
When we first arrived we were greeted by Nikita, who checked us in a very professional manner. She was very enthusiastic and helpful. In fact, contrary to a couple of odd reviews we saw, everyone was professional and polite.
The Grand Club Lounge was great. It was also had a professional staff and was very scenic. We had room service a couple of times during our stay (yes the restaurants do start to close down at 10:00). The price was comparable to a restaurant price (I guess that is because it comes from the one-up).
The location was great and very central to our needs.We have stayed in other hotels in San Francisco in the past and quite frankly the Grand Hyatt is far superior. We will definitely be returning.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2014

This Grand Hyatt is a bit dated but is in a great location right next to Union Square. Top Floor lounge offers breathtaking views of the city! Close to the cable cars & dozens of great restaurants nearby. Concierge was very professional and helpful.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

The incredible, hard-working team at the Grand Hyatt SF truly makes this one of the most fantastic hotels in the area! Everyone went above and beyond to make our stay unforgettable, especially Elaine the Concierge, who helped us book our tours and navigate the city like pros! Great location. Great rooms. Great team!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, responded to this review, September 3, 2014
Thank you so much for your compliment! I must agree with you our team is definitely one of the best in San Francisco and we are very lucky to have them as part of the Hyatt family! I'll make sure to share your comment with the entire team! Hope to see you again soon!
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

Stayed here with two nights with my family. Our rooms faced the Union Square, Macy's and Saks Fifth Avenue. The hotel is within walking distance to the Westfield Mall on Market Street. The staff at this hotel is very engaging and extremely helpful. We had around 16 luggages and the doorman and a bellman handled them without any fuss and with full efficiency. The Concierge assist us to book a large van to transfer us to SFO. We highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

If you're a centralised location surrounded by lots of shopping, people, food & easy access to public transport, then this hotel is for you! Just be be warned of the ongoing road upgrade at Stockton St - goes 24 hours everyday except Sunday!
We stayed for 5 nights, & if you're a light sleeper, the noise from the street travelling upwards may keep you up & wishing you stayed somewhere else!
Front line & concierge staff were courteous. Unfortunately, housekeeping service levels fell a bit short for such highly rated hotel. I dialled for a few room items (bedroom slippers, cotton balls) & they were not delivered until I had to ask for them a day later! On another occasion when we requested to borrow the weighing scale, the person who delivered it to our room had a look that he wished he was doing something else instead!
I read previously that hotel had recently been upgraded with improvements to the rooms. Whilst the room is sleek, there is no separate shower cubicle in the bathroom, You need to climb into bath & pulled the curtain & shower the "old fashion" way.
No complimentary bottled mineral water.
I wanted to give this hotel an above average rating but finds it hard to justify esp for such a well known hotel brand to be exhibiting much inferior customer service compared to their other peers within the HYATT group of hotels.

Room Tip: Currently with ongoing road construction, I would suggest rooms not facing the Union Square.
Green Features: No shower caps (you need to get them sent to room) which I presume this is in line with the environment friendly policy.
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

We only stayed here two nights but this is a really luxurious place to stay. We had a bay view room and the views were spectacular. Alcatraz and Fishermans Wharf were right out the window ( really a mile or so but it felt closer). The windows are floor to ceiling and the power shades were very cool. The hotel has a nice restaurant and bar with live music almost ever night. We were two blocks from China Town, a mile from Fisherman's wharf. Everything was great.

Room Tip: Ask for a Bay view - it's a little more money but worth it
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to write us a review! Great to hear you had a wonderful time with us and enjoyed the entertainment at OneUP Lounge. Please come back and see us again soon!

Been to Grand Hyatt San Francisco? Share your experiences!