“Great location, great breakfast buffett” 4 of 5 stars

Bed & Breakfast for Two
Ranked #31 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Great location, great breakfast buffett”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed for a vacation and the location was spectacular to say the least. Room was clean and spacious. Service was prompt. Quiet space. The breakfast was a great price for what you get, I avoid eating in the surrounding area for breakfast for a family. The only issue is I wish had free WIFI in the room. Its hassle to have to go down to Starbucks or the lobby.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (568)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I lived in San Francisco for many years, and when I come back for visits I always want to be around Union Square. I had avoided the Grand Hyatt because it was a bit worn out. But recently I stayed there and was pleasantly surprised at the remodeled hotel. It is beautiful! They have a friendly staff and you cannot beat that location. The views are gorgeous. I used Hyatt points to upgrade to the club level room, and access the lounge. This is a great perk if you are traveling with a family so they can get snacks when they want. The food in the lounge is really good.

The one drawback about this hotel is that you can hear the room next door. We had a noisy neighbor who had drank too much. I called the front desk and the next thing I knew the bellman was at our door and they moved us to an even better room. Problem solved.

If you are going to SF to shop, this is the place to stay. Take a walk through China town, then through North Beach up to Coit Tower. Its all easy to do from this location.

Room Tip: I liked the view of North Beach. But I do not think you would have any bad views in this hotel if y...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Oscar 12345,

Thank you for you review and returning to the Grand Hyatt San Francisco! We are pleased you enjoyed the remodeled guestroom and the unbeatable location. The amenities offered at the Grand club is definitely worth the upgrade! It is always great to hear our staffs was able to assist with your needs. We truly appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

He staff were very friendly and helpful. Nice location at the top of Union Square. Starbucks, 7/11, restaurants, shopping center with upscale grocery store, etc, nearby. Rooms have been nicely renovated Grand Hyatt style. Used to be a Hyatt Regency, I believe. The only negative may be the plumbing and bathroom. Low water pressure, shallow bath owing to the age of the building.

Parking across the street for cheaper price than the hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms on the Chinatown side for better views.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I recently visited San Francisco for a long, romantic weekend. When I booked the Grand Hyatt, I was looking for something with a nice view and romantic amenities. They offered a romance package that included a high floor (aka view) room along with guaranteed late check out (3pm!), breakfast for 2 and champagne and chocolate covered strawberries upon arrival. The rate for all this was the same as the basic rate for a standard room at other hotels in the area so it was a great deal (I did have a AAA discount so that made it even better!).
The room we stayed in was well appointed and very nicely decorated. The view - amazing! This is exactly what I wanted so complaints here! I will say the room was a bit smaller than I am accustomed to but it was so nice it really didn't matter.
As for service, the staff went above and beyond. Our bellman has been around forever and had so much information to share about the area. He was so helpful.
We asked if we could switch out the champagne for wine since my husband doesn't care for champagne. They said no problem. About 5 minutes after the wine was delivered, the room service manager called and asked if we'd opened the wine yet. I told them no. They said "Good, I sent you the wrong bottle and want to upgrade you to a better one". Honestly, didn't know what they were going to send and were happy they were willing to switch it out so a better wine was a plus.
When we checked out, there was a minor mistake on our bill. They didn't ask questions, didn't argue, just took it off. I know this should be expected but in this day and age it is shocking to me how unclient-friendly some places are. NOT the Hyatt! Full client centered service the entire time!
Overall, we had a great stay in a top notch hotel. I have to admit I was a bit sad they did away with their top floor restaurant but there are plenty of places in the area to get that romantic view with a nightcap.

Room Tip: Ask for a bay view room. We chose City and while it was very nice, the bay is even better.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear AZfamily555,

Thank you so much for the review. Sounds like you and your husband had a relaxing and romantic weekend in San Francisco. We are pleased you enjoyed the remodeled guestroom and beautiful views from your room. I'm particular happy to read your compliments about our staffs and I'll be sure to share your comment with them! We truly appreciate you took the time to write us a review. Look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Best regards,
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We got an early check-in to a wonderful room with a view of the city, Coit tower and the bay. Floor to ceiling windows and everything newly remodeled. Modern yet warm. The bed was comfy too. At night the city lit up like a jewel box.
The location is perfect for exploring the city. the staff was so helpful and answered all our questions about getting around the city.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view and ours was the 19th floor...perfect.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear JeanCopeland,

Wow! Thank you so much for the review! Great to hear you enjoyed the beautiful city and bay view from you room. I must agree with you our staffs are definitely top notch and very knowledgeable about the city! Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again!

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Grand Hyatt is right in the center of all the happenings. A few steps away from Union Square makes it totally fab. All the awesome specialty stores are right in front of your very eyes. Great restaurants all within walking distance. Be sure to wear your walking shoes and get ready for a great experience. Fabulous city views from this hotel and friendly staff. The breakfast is to die for.

Room Tip: the higher levels are bigger suites/rooms for family
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear G-LoveTimes1,

Thank you for the great review. Sounds like you had an awesome time exploring, shopping and dining in San Francisco! Great tips on wearing comfortable walking shoes because it is indeed a walkable city! We appreciate your compliments and please come back and see us again soon!

Best regards,
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is my go-to hotel whenever I have a business trip to San Francisco. The hotel is nicely located adjacent to Union Square and it's a short, pleasant walk to the conference center. The rooms are nicely appointed, and as long as you have a higher level floor, you'll get a nice view of the San Francisco skyline. Even if you don't, the gym is on the top floor and offers a great view. I'll also add that the gym is functional, if not small, but you can't expect too much being in downtown SF. Unfortunately, they no longer have a bar/lounge at the top floor which was one of my favorite parts of the hotel on my last trip. I also ordered room service which was good (I had the thai beef salad) reasonably priced as far as room service goes. I've stayed at the nearby W Hotel before and the Grand Hyatt is close to the same quality but a much better value.

Other tips:
- The paid WiFi is significantly faster than the free one so it may be worth the extra money
- If you want to save some money and travel time, especially during rush hour, take the BART to/from Union Square. It's a very short walk from the station to the hotel

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your review and welcomed back! We are pleased to hear you enjoyed the ideal location of our hotel and the view from the higher floors. Although it is sad to see the end of one era, we are excited about the new restaurant OneUP. We hope you will give it a try next time when you return to our hotel! Look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Tiffany

Been to Grand Hyatt San Francisco? Share your experiences!