“Pleasant Stay” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Dallas, Texas
“Pleasant Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Awesome view room of Union Square was perfect for my three night stay. My room was newly renovated and modern in design. Aside from some odd design features, I appreciated the remote controlled blackout window shade. I liked the morning coffee and pastry bar in the lobby. This bar's staff was helpful, cheery and professional. It was quick and easy. Requested synthetic bedding after checkin which was delivered pronto! Thank you.

Room Tip: Noise filtered into my room from the adjoining door. Ask for a non-adjoining room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your review! We are delighted you enjoyed the remodeled guestroom and the coffee and pastry from the Coffee Bar! It is always great to hear our staff was able to assist you with your needs and offered quick and efficient service. Your business is much appreciated, please come back and see us again soon!

Truly yours,
Tiffany

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (568)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
los angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

The Union Square location was perfect for us, lots of shopping and of course the green area where we could walk our dog. The hotel has recently been remodeled so the rooms are very nice. My only complaint would be that hotels now seem to be putting in non-doors to the bathroom. By that I mean these sliding things that just don't close properly which translates into not as much privacy as one would like. So I vote for real doors hotel architects - not too much to ask for I hope. But back to the review - these folks could not do enough for us. We had our dog as I mentioned which can present some dining challenges but they did not have a problem serving us in the lobby seating area which was great. Nice couches and a couple fireplaces and bookcases - so somewhat homey and comfortable. The next night we had some friends join us for dinner and because of the number - there were 6 of us - they gave us a private dining room so Bernie (our dog) could join us. I had no problem with the bed and I usually have issues. Also room service in Union Square? Yeah you better be prepared to drop a bundle on that as in any nice hotel there, but there is a nice coffee bar with some cereals and muffins in the lobby that is a lot cheaper.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear greengardener,

Thank you so much for your review! We are delighted you enjoyed the renovated seating area and fire places in the lobby and the convenient location of our hotel! I am particular happy to hear our staffs were able to assist you with your need, especially for Bernie! We truly appreciate you choosing the Grand Hyatt San Francisco and we look forward to welcoming you and Bernie back soon!

Warm regards,
Columbia, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

So, my point of view is from that of a mom with 4 month old twins.
Here is what I loved:

*the location was great! There is lots of shopping, things to do and public transportation within walking distance - and, for those of you who need it like I do, there is now a TARGET on Mission and 4th!! A ten minute walk away!
*the staff was, with few exceptions, incredibly kind and helpful - front door staff, particularly, but everyone I interacted with was pleasant
*loved the view from my 21st floor room
*our king size bed was one of the BEST beds I have ever slept in, bar none. Super comfortable
*towels were nice and big
*concierge service was very good - we talked with them almost every day and they were very accommodating with our special needs :)
*I liked the electric shade over the window to block out the sun during the day - it really helped because the room could get really hot in the mid afternoon in the sunshine
*Loved the tv you could watch hulu and netflix on! Once we figured out how to work it and tech support did an update, we could watch our shows on the big screen
*room was very clean

parts that were not as awesome:
*the sliding bathroom door was fine for us with babies, but would've been really annoying had my older children been there - we couldn't figure out if there was any way to lock it?
*we paid for the premium internet and it was pretty lame - like, almost completely unusable much of the time. My husband spent a lot of time on the phone with tech support but it was really frustrating. They did refund a good part of our money but I would've rather had working internet
*the little fridge in our room did NOT get very cold, just cold enough to keep things from spoiling but not the kind of cold I like the milk in my cereal :). And it is quite little, we kept a few containers of yogurt, a 1/2 gallon of milk, a big of carrots and a baby bottle and that was about it.
*one of the portacribs we'd requested was a nice Graco playyard - but the second was an old metal portable crib. I decided to use it since one of my babies doesn't move at all at night but had he been a mover, I would've requested another playyard. If you do request a playyard, I'd bring your own sheet from home because they didn't have one that size
*you can't set the thermostat lower than 65, at least we couldn't in our room, and that midday sun really did heat up the room and the a/c couldn't even keep it at 65

another tip: use the parking garage across the street on Sutter - you can pay the daily rate through your hotel bill (significantly cheaper than the hotel valet) and I always got my car right quick, friendly staff too

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

Are you kidding me! The room had these expensive sinks and lots of money spent on hard surfaces but the most uncomfortable bed ever!!! Old, lumpy mattress with scratchy sheets and no warm comforter. We sleep in the room- up dating your uncomfortable- worse EVER MATTRESSES WOULD GO A LONG WAY. If you want to get rest in your hotel room- stay somewhere else. Absolutely unacceptable!!!!

• Stayed February 2013
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. Our goal is to provide each of our guests with a well-appointed and comfortable room along with quality amenities. Many of our guests had great reviews on our Grand Bed but clearly that is not your experience and for that, we are truly sorry. Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. Your feedback is a valuable tool that we use to improve the product we provide.

If I can be of further assistance during your next stay at the Grand Hyatt San Francisco please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Best regards,
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

The Grand Hyatt is generally a very solid hotel. While we were largely satisfied with most things during our stay, there were, unfortunately, a whole series of little issues and inconveniences throughout that tended to take away from our experience. We want to emphasize up front that on balance this is still a very nice hotel – centrally located, clean, and modern - but it could certainly benefit from a little more focus on its process and policy details.

Things actually started off very well. Upon check-in we were voluntarily upgraded by the very friendly reception staff to a nicer room with a bay-side view – which we really appreciated. However, while the room was nice and clean and had a very nice view, we quickly encountered a number of minor issues. For one, the in-room safe battery was dead (quickly fixed when reported). Secondly, the light switch did nothing (not sure if by defect or design), to the point that any light source had to be turned on manually during our stay (i.e. turn on each lamp separately). This is generally fine, but somewhat problematic when you come back after dark and have to look for a switch underneath a lampshade in the corner of the room. Thirdly, the sliding door to the bathroom was rather poorly designed, without ever fully closing, and didn’t offer much in the way of privacy. Lastly, and more generally, a lot of features one would expect in a hotel of this class were only offered on a limited or on-request basis – and this appeared to be mainly justified on the basis of the hotel’s eco-friendly policy (slippers, daily bedding change, certain toiletries, etc – all only upon request). Overall, this did irritate us just a little bit, as while we find it appropriate that one would have to ask for things that most guests may not need (like specific pillows or baby items, etc), it seemed excessive to have to ask for things that most guests would certainly find useful and could just as easily leave untouched if they did not need them (like slippers).

To further add to our list of issues, we were mildly disappointed to discover that the a-la-carte breakfast menu that is so prominently displayed on the hotel website is not what is offered when you have “breakfast included” in your room rate. In truth, the room rate breakfast offers you access to a fairly good, albeit rather limited, breakfast buffet. Now, not to say that the food was in any way poor, as it was fresh and inspired, but the selection was relatively limited and we felt a little misled in having paid for breakfast in the room rate but not having access to any of the items on the menu.

The room rate breakfast also causes some confusion with both serving and billing. First, the servers will always give you the a-la carte menu when they seat you, but it wasn’t until we asked (and we really should not have had to ask) that we found out that we had already paid for something else and the menus were effectively meaningless (unless we wanted to pay for a different second breakfast). Second, even with the buffet, you’re still required to sign your name to a bill as if you were buying the buffet option as a walk-in guest (when in fact this cost has already been paid and will not appear a second time upon checkout). It just seems like this process could really be simplified and improved upon, and some very unnecessary confusion can be avoided through better communication.

In addition to this, the breakfast on our first day was truly a comedy of errors (and we say this in good humor, as we just took it in stride and largely laughed it off): we were given water when we asked for orange juice, the potatoes were undercooked, the tea failed to brew properly, and our table was cleared and given to another couple in the brief moment we got up to go grab dessert! (we literally came back to find someone else sitting in our seats) To be fair, things went notably more smoothly throughout the remainder of the trip.

As noted earlier, although this list of issues may seem lengthy, they are not major in any sense, and our experience was still generally positive. By any measure, despite everything, we still feel that this is a very good hotel – very centrally located near Union Square, complimented by polite and helpful staff, and nicely decorated in a clean modern style. A few small policy tweaks by management aimed at eliminating the issues and inconveniences we noted above and this hotel would really leave you with very little to complain about.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

The room is clean and comfortable, the location is great, near the Union Square, the Hotell is very beautifull and that's all! The breakfast for 2 adults and 2 children costs U$ 100.00, but the main reason that made me rate as 2 stars was the Internet. They offer a free wifi Internet access that is terrible! They must know it, as when you proceed the login it's offered an upgrade for a faster access paying U$ 14.00 per day. The fact is that doing this the quality of the access changed from terrible to poor, whith the acceptable connection being archived only near the room's door (!!!!), whith all of the different devices (notebook, iPad and iPhone).
They also charged U$ 5.00 to bring to the room a box that arrived on my behalf. The problem is not the amount as its only 5 dolars, but the fact of having brought and then charged without previous information.
The Bathroom: There was only 3 towels and we was a party of 4 and the shower had a very weak flow.
Me and my family was in SF as tourists in the ending of a 16 days trip trough California and this hotel was the only one that probably will not see me and my family again.

• Stayed February 2013
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Rpaulino,

Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased you enjoyed the location of our hotel and the newly renovated rooms. Our internet fee is comparable to other 4-diamond hotels in the area and we feel we provide good value. However, that is clearly not your experience and for that, we are truly sorry. We have done some rewiring of the internet access points in the building and we appreciate your comment on that. I will be sure to share it with my team to review.

Best regards,
Cumming, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

The Grand Hyatt is just off Union Square giving it a perfect central location for exploring San Francisco. The rooms are updated and the beds are very comfortable. The amenties in the bathrooms are upscale. The service was great. We had very noisy people in the next room and called the front desk. They immediately sent security up to handle the situation and it was resolved within 10 minutes! Then we got a follow up call from the hotel manager. Very impressed!

Room Tip: If you want a view of the water, ask for a room on a high floor.
Dear debbi6,

Thank you so much for the great review! We are delighted you enjoyed the convenient location of our hotel and the amenities offered in our guestroom. It is always nice to hear our staffs were able to offer quick and efficient services and resolved the situation for you. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Warm regards,
Tiffany

Been to Grand Hyatt San Francisco? Share your experiences!