“Not so Grand” 2 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
OC California
“Not so Grand”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2008

I was somewhat disappointed by this place, worst of all was the noise, and more specifically the creaking in the walls! On my first night I called the front desk to complain about what I can only describe as the sound of creaking timbers in the wall. They told me it was the wind and the building is having some sort of earthquake work going on. Only way they could help was to move to the 3rd floor where it wasn't so "creaky" but then I'd hear the traffic!

The room was nicely decorated in typical Hyatt style, but the TV was fuzzy (and no one could fix it) and the toilet slow to flush (again no one could fix this!). Although when I called about the TV and toilet they where very quick to send someone up.

Best thing about this place was the bar on the 36th floor where the view was stunning. The crowd is older, okay geriatric, but it's a great view at Sunset and the drinks are top notch.

Overall it was okay, but I wont go out of my way to stay there again.

• Stayed April 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (573)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
louisville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2008

I just got back from the Grand Hyatt and am missing it already. Check in was almost flawless. Ryan at the check in desk is hysterical and made the process more fun than should be allowed. They were having a problem with the key card machine when I got there so they were having the staff personally escort people to their rooms. This was very quickly resolved however and in the time it took me to freshen up a little and walk out of the restroom there was an envelope that had been slid under my door containing the key cards and a letter apologizing.
The room was immaculately clean and the view was absolutely incredible. I stayed on the 19th floor and woke up each morning to a view of the COIT tower and the bay. The cleaning staff did a good job keeping my room clean and stocked and the daily newspaper was laying in front of my door each morning by 7am.
I have seen in a couple of reviews where people have complained about charges for the mini bars in their rooms. I had no trouble at all with that issue because I requested a refridgerator in my room. There is no charge, it was clean and properly working and was there and set up when I got there and already cold. If you request that then you can purchase your own drinks and snacks and keep them in it and then you will not have to worry about charges for the mini bar.
I took the BART to the hotel from the airport and it was completely painless. There is a BART station right at the airport and the cost for the trip was a whole $5.35. The BART is perfectly roomy enough for you to take your luggage onto it. It is not like a cramped city bus. The stop for the hotel lets you off about 3 blocks away and it is an easy walk even with luggage in tow.
For those who are shopaholics there is almost every store you can imagine within a few blocks. There is a Starbucks across the street, a Walgreens pharmacy behind the hotel and a number of very good restaurants. The cable car stop for going to the wharf is one block behind the hotel. And the entrance to Chinatown is about 3 blocks away. There is also a mini mart/liquor store a half a block away where you can get things like cokes or drinks to take back to your room.
I was traveling as a single female and never once did I feel unsafe. The area is very friendly and clean and if you need to make a run to get some last minute thing you can do it without worry.
The staff was all wonderful. As I said in the beginning Ryan is hysterical. Lyle is very friendly and helpful. Truly a nice guy. Adam who is one of the doormen/valets is the class clown. Take the time to get to know him if you are a cut up yourself. And my absolute favorite was Joe Vigil who is one of the security officers. San Francisco should be proud to call him one of their own. I actually miss him. David at the concierge desk was also fabulous. Very friendly and helpful and has a warm and honest smile. There is also a gentleman who is from Yugoslavia who is always at the front door. I apologize to him for not remembering his name but he is also very sweet. There was only one person I ran into the entire time that was not up to par with the rest of the staff and that was the blonde woman at the concierge desk. She is not "unkind" but she reminds you more of dealing with the assistant to the president of a large corporation. More of a "state your purpose" kind of gal. Everyone else though were all poster children for tourism and public relations for the hotel and the city.
While you are there you also have to check out the view from the lounge on the 36th floor. Go at night. The view is breathtaking and will make you want to stay there forever.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who is staying in San Francisco and commend the management for the staff they have put together.

• Liked — The staff and the location
  • Disliked — Nothing really. The only thing close to a complaint was about the one female concierge.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2008

We stayed here on our way to the East Coast (from Australia). The room was lovely, with a nice view of the city. The hotel service was excellent. And the location was great for a short stop in the city (located in Union Square). Perfect stop for a break in our journey.

• Liked — Clean. Great location. Gym open 24 hours (great if you have jet lag).
  • Disliked — No free internet
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2008

Great location on Union Square, booked twin and king both with city views. Rooms both good size. When checking in worth asking for a room on higher floor, The restaurant and bar on the top floor is well worth a visit. We had a drink there in the evening, fantastic views, equally so in the morning for breakfast which was very good value. Expensive valet parking but when you dont know your way around a city there isnt really any other option.
Watch where you book these rooms. The hyatt website proclaims to offer the cheapest rate and offers a price promise however when I found a cheaper rate elsewhere which met all of their published criteria they started quoting other criteria that I had to meet which wasnt published on their site. As we were travelling from the UK I had booked with Virgin holidays who were much cheaper than anyone else.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2008

Just spent four nights here on a work trip. My room faced the front of the building so no great view, which was ok since it was work and all, but I was constantly annoyed by the loud, shrill whistles of the hotel staff hailing cabs for people. Awful sound.

The room itself was spacious and clean and the hotel staff was courteous and helpful. However, there was one other tidbit that annoyed me during this stay and I find this unbecoming of a nice hotel. There was a coffeemaker in the room but coffee wasn't free. A label on it read "complimentary coffee inside the refreshment center." But when you open that door, the coffee is sitting with the candy and water on the sensors and in the door it says coffee is $4.

Overall, a pleasant stay that would've been greatly improved by complimentary coffee and the lack of whistles.

Stayed March 2008
Avon, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2008

My husband, six year old son and I spend four nights here over my son's spring break. I picked the hotel because I got a really good rate and it was in Union Square.

First the good. If you want to stay in Union Square it's a very good location with public transporation/foot travel within easy distance. The staff were all great and immediately helpful. There is a place at the front desk to print out boarding passes for free. My husband said the work out room was very nice but there's no pool.

Now the not so great. The room is cramped. There is not really a good workable space ie no desk. There is a table but it's not positioned well and it's too high for a workspace. Internet is $10 a day and that irritates me. There's a fantastic view from the restaurant but it is very pricey to eat there. We stayed on the third floor and had to wait for elevators. I can only imagine if the hotel had been booked full what the wait would be like for higher floors!

There is plenty of shopping within a few blocks and several restaurants. You can also walk to car rental offices within a few blocks.

Bottom line we enjoyed our visit but I doubt I would overwhelmingly recommend this property unless you want to be in Union Square specifically.

Stayed March 2008
Lawrence, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2008

We checked in to the Hyatt on Thursday the 20th and are leaving on Monday the 24th. When we made the reservation, we asked for a roll-away which they didn't know about when we checked in.

We paid an extra sixty dollars to upgrade to a suite which wasn't as great as it seemed. When making the reservation, we requested the bay view room. You can see a small amount of the bay but it is all blocked by the Port of San Francisco building.

The mini-bar in the room is way over-priced. $3.50 for a can of soda when you can go across the street and get a twelve pack of soda for less than that.

There were a number of broken items in the room when we checked in. The light in the shower stall was and is still dead. The latch on the cabinet in the room for the minibar/dresser was broken. None of the lights in the room are hooked to the light switched. The latch on the sliding glass doors/window are broken. There is a bunch of wire for the phone just hanging out of the wall and the rooms aren't very well lit.

I stay at Hyatt's a lot for business and pleasure but I have never seen one in such bad shape.

We stopped by the fitness center which is the worst fitness center that I have ever seen. It is about 15' x 30'. Pretty small, plus they don't have a pool or hut tub in the hotel

The pricing for services in the hotel is crazy. Albeit this is San Francisco and a tourist trap, they are still crazy. Below is the pricing for the parking from the hyatt website.

"*Tax is additional on parking*
Indoor valet parking $49.00 per night plus tax with in/out privileges. Vans ok. Oversize Vehicles: High profile cars (SUV) up to 12 feet high, can be valet parked. If the vehicle needs two spaces, guest will be charged for two cars" (http://sanfranciscoregency.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/services/parking/index.jsp)

I will add some photo's later from the hotel.

• Liked — not much
  • Disliked — no pool, over priced for everything...parking, mini-bar...
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Grand Hyatt San Francisco? Share your experiences!