“Brand new renovation - much needed upgrading.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hyatt San Francisco

Save Saved
You added Grand Hyatt San Francisco to your Saves list
Grand Hyatt San Francisco
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   345 Stockton Street, San Francisco, CA 94108 (Financial District)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Bed & Breakfast for Two
Ranked #25 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Singapore
“Brand new renovation - much needed upgrading.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Arrived after 3 year's absence. Lobby and fireplace sitting area was new. Stayed on the 32nd floor in a Club room. Now room is modern and comfortable. TV comes with Internet capabilities, cool. Some amenities missing like slippers, bed was too soft and wouldn't work for someone with a bad back. Concierge is tried and true for many years. They give good info

Room Tip: Ask for Union Square facing room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear YinChin,

Thank you so much for your review. We are pleased you enjoyed the newly renovated guestroom and the cozy lobby area. We offer a check list called 'missing must-have' where you can choose from a selection of of complimentary items that are for you to keep and a variety of everyday essentials for you to borrow during the length of your stay. One of the items we offer is slippers, so next time, just simply call us to have it deliver to your room. Your review is much appreciated! We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

2,135 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Pasadena, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

This is one of the best hotels in the Union Square area of San Francisco. Although it does not share the same classic and stunning lobbies like other more historical hotels nearby, the interior is newly renovated. There is something to be said about walking into a place that smells new and fresh (in our case the lobby is still off-gassing when we walked into the lobby!)

My husband and I were in town for a convention. The location is great for attending events, do some shopping, etc. In contrast to San Francisco's other quaint neighborhoods, downtown San Francisco has a more corporate and 'big city' feel. So if you are looking for charm and personality, this neighborhood is not it.

The hotel looks like every other Hyatt property in the world. The room looks beautiful at first glance, but once you start to use the space in more detail, things begin to fall apart. In some cases it literally does. The headboard started to wobble when we pulled the attached nightstand drawers. There are plenty of wood furniture, cabinets, and drawers in the room, but none provided very much storage. There are a lot of knick-knacks all over the place, but the overall effect is not cohesive. A little too much fussy fluff for my taste. The 'modern' interior decoration is mediocre at best. It is a case of one corporate hotel looking just like another corporate hotel, while trying to out do each other.

The lighting in the room is overall very dark. The only highlight, no pun intended, is the bathroom. The overly bright spot of the whole room, the bathroom is actually the best looking part of the room. Other awkward lighting controls includes a funky silver semi-translucent full-height window screen in the room that don't look like it can last more than five years.

The service throughout the hotel is consistently friendly and good natured. Everyone we came across is top notch endearing. The porter is very responsive and helpful. The cleaning lady for our room is very responsive as well. When we left her a thank you note one day, she wrote a response back to us with a smiley face.

Back to the bathroom. The water pressure at the shower on the 16th floor is pathetically poor. You would think a semi-modern high-rise would have resolved that technical problem. You are literally being washed by something a little bit better than the drips of water torture. At least the water is warm.

Now to the Internet. They charge you a certain amount per day for high-speed premium Internet access. This service sucked. The Internet speed is excessively slow for us. It was okay when I just have to surf and dilly dally. But it was not okay when I have to do work. I called their Internet support immediately. The man was very helpful. Unfortunately that was halfway during our stay and we already suffered the poor service for a while.

The parking is $55 per night. There is a cheaper lot directly diagonally across from the hotel. But they also charge some exorbitant amount per night. My advice is, if you can help it, do not drive in downtown San Francisco.

Did I mention although the bed was very comfortable, it was sagging? There was a noticeable higher ridge along the middle of the bed. I guess most people don't sleep in the middle of a king bed.

San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Love this hotel, service is generally excellent, staff is great and the hotel has done a very good job with their remodel. Stayed here twice in the last few months and was very impressed with the rooms and what you get for the price.

Service was excellent and the staff is always attentive and helpful. For a large SFO hotel that is unusual.

Room Tip: I like the high rooms with the better views.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear SouthbroomNatal,

Thank you for your comment! Great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and we left you a great impression. It is always great to hear compliments on our staffs and I will be sure to share your review with them. Please come back and see us again soon!

Warm regards,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

Loved the modern decor & the hotel overall! The only reasons I didn't rate "excellent" across the board. 1) not enough drawer space in the room 2) even though we were on a "quiet floor" you can hear the people in the next room (literally when they flush their toilet). The room rate was pretty high but that's the going rate for a nice hotel in Union Square. I found the most reasonable rate through the hotel's website (pre-pay, non-refundable).
With that said, everything else was wonderful! They let us check-in early & beds/pillows were amazingly comfortable.

• Stayed November 2012
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

The location near Union Square is nearly unmatched (only a few others right on the square.). The rooms feel luxurious including remote blinds and elegant bath fixtures. The lobby and check in are modern -- very upscale. Valet (as one can expect in SFO) is fantastic. Unfortunately the rest of the staff, especially dining, seemed untrained and lacking sophistication for this level. I agree with other reviewers that moving the restaurant and bar from the 36th floor to "one Up" was a massive misstep. Moreover the restaurant seems to be suffering from serious freshman jitters. Food is sufferably slow in coming. Hours of operation seem to be erratic and subject to chef irrational preparation. That said when and if the food arrives it is spectacular. I can only hope they figure out the service irregularities as I do hope to return again with better dining experiences.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear S&S,

Thank you so much for your review. We are delighted you enjoyed the renovated hotel and the convenient location of our hotel. We strive to provide excellent guest services and seems we fell short during your stay. Please accept our sincere apology for not exceeding your expectation. As we launch our new restaurant, our goal is to deliver the best experience and food and beverage to our guest, we truly appreciate your comment which helps us improve. Rest assure, it will be shared with my culinary team and food and beverage director to review. We certainly look forward to see you again soon.

Sacramento, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

It's been 7 years since I wrote my last review. We have been staying here several times a year for about 20 years. With the recent remodel, it's now one of the very best hotels in the city. The rooms, especially on the Regency Club floors, are nothing short of spectacular, both with their views, impeccible service in the Club, and the beautiful materials which have been used in the guest rooms. The huge lighted mirrors in the bathrooms seem to make everyone look 20 years younger ! The views from rooms on the north facing side of the hotel give the very best views, which include Coit Tower, the Pyramid, and Alcatraz.

The new lobby is beautiful and has individual desks rather than a single front desk. There is a new sitting area with a gas fireplace. However, the new bar is directly above and open to the lobby and on this Saturday night pulsating music from above was annoying.

This beautiful hotel still is about the most centrally located in the city -across the street from Union Square - and in the heart of the shopping area. I can recommend it without hesitation.

Room Tip: Rooms facing north on floors 20 and higher have spectacular views.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear JIMCHI,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review and welcomed back! We are delighted you enjoyed the new designed of the lobby and our guestroom! I must agree with you the view from the club is definitely beautiful and I'll be sure to share your compliments with our staff at the club! We appreciate your comment and recommendation, look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Like most frequent business travelers, I keep a mental list of which hotels really do it right (and which do not...) The Grand Hyatt San Francisco is absolutely at the top of my list! From the personalized attention upon check in, the doormen, the concierge, room service delivery - all are top notch. The eleventh floor room I stayed in was lovely and very comfortable. I am both picky and brutally honest - so I would tell you if I found anything to complain about, but I did not.

As a fine example of the care they take of their guests here, I called downstairs to see if I could get some band aids - I said I needed several. The young lady response was to ask - with great concern in her voice - if I was ok. I just don't think most places care like that. (I just had blisters - take your most comfortable shoes! San Francisco is a *walking* town.) And further - they were at my door with those band aids faster than I would have thought possible.

When I have occasion to travel to San Francisco in the future, you can be sure that this is where I'll stay. I recommend it unreservedly.

Dear leylacheri,

Wow! Thank you so much for the 5-star review and we are thrilled to be the top of your 'hotel' list!! It is always great to hear compliments on our staff and I'll be sure to share your review with them. I must agree with you San Francisco is indeed a walking town and we hope your blisters are healed now. Your recommendation is much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Tiffany

Been to Grand Hyatt San Francisco? Share your experiences!