“My Favorite Hotel in SFO” 4 of 5 stars

Double Your Points
Ranked #28 of 234 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Jose, California
“My Favorite Hotel in SFO”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Love this hotel, service is generally excellent, staff is great and the hotel has done a very good job with their remodel. Stayed here twice in the last few months and was very impressed with the rooms and what you get for the price.

Service was excellent and the staff is always attentive and helpful. For a large SFO hotel that is unusual.

Room Tip: I like the high rooms with the better views.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear SouthbroomNatal,

Thank you for your comment! Great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and we left you a great impression. It is always great to hear compliments on our staffs and I will be sure to share your review with them. Please come back and see us again soon!

Warm regards,
Tiffany

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (580)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

Loved the modern decor & the hotel overall! The only reasons I didn't rate "excellent" across the board. 1) not enough drawer space in the room 2) even though we were on a "quiet floor" you can hear the people in the next room (literally when they flush their toilet). The room rate was pretty high but that's the going rate for a nice hotel in Union Square. I found the most reasonable rate through the hotel's website (pre-pay, non-refundable).
With that said, everything else was wonderful! They let us check-in early & beds/pillows were amazingly comfortable.

• Stayed November 2012
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

The location near Union Square is nearly unmatched (only a few others right on the square.). The rooms feel luxurious including remote blinds and elegant bath fixtures. The lobby and check in are modern -- very upscale. Valet (as one can expect in SFO) is fantastic. Unfortunately the rest of the staff, especially dining, seemed untrained and lacking sophistication for this level. I agree with other reviewers that moving the restaurant and bar from the 36th floor to "one Up" was a massive misstep. Moreover the restaurant seems to be suffering from serious freshman jitters. Food is sufferably slow in coming. Hours of operation seem to be erratic and subject to chef irrational preparation. That said when and if the food arrives it is spectacular. I can only hope they figure out the service irregularities as I do hope to return again with better dining experiences.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear S&S,

Thank you so much for your review. We are delighted you enjoyed the renovated hotel and the convenient location of our hotel. We strive to provide excellent guest services and seems we fell short during your stay. Please accept our sincere apology for not exceeding your expectation. As we launch our new restaurant, our goal is to deliver the best experience and food and beverage to our guest, we truly appreciate your comment which helps us improve. Rest assure, it will be shared with my culinary team and food and beverage director to review. We certainly look forward to see you again soon.

Sacramento, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

It's been 7 years since I wrote my last review. We have been staying here several times a year for about 20 years. With the recent remodel, it's now one of the very best hotels in the city. The rooms, especially on the Regency Club floors, are nothing short of spectacular, both with their views, impeccible service in the Club, and the beautiful materials which have been used in the guest rooms. The huge lighted mirrors in the bathrooms seem to make everyone look 20 years younger ! The views from rooms on the north facing side of the hotel give the very best views, which include Coit Tower, the Pyramid, and Alcatraz.

The new lobby is beautiful and has individual desks rather than a single front desk. There is a new sitting area with a gas fireplace. However, the new bar is directly above and open to the lobby and on this Saturday night pulsating music from above was annoying.

This beautiful hotel still is about the most centrally located in the city -across the street from Union Square - and in the heart of the shopping area. I can recommend it without hesitation.

Room Tip: Rooms facing north on floors 20 and higher have spectacular views.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear JIMCHI,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review and welcomed back! We are delighted you enjoyed the new designed of the lobby and our guestroom! I must agree with you the view from the club is definitely beautiful and I'll be sure to share your compliments with our staff at the club! We appreciate your comment and recommendation, look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Like most frequent business travelers, I keep a mental list of which hotels really do it right (and which do not...) The Grand Hyatt San Francisco is absolutely at the top of my list! From the personalized attention upon check in, the doormen, the concierge, room service delivery - all are top notch. The eleventh floor room I stayed in was lovely and very comfortable. I am both picky and brutally honest - so I would tell you if I found anything to complain about, but I did not.

As a fine example of the care they take of their guests here, I called downstairs to see if I could get some band aids - I said I needed several. The young lady response was to ask - with great concern in her voice - if I was ok. I just don't think most places care like that. (I just had blisters - take your most comfortable shoes! San Francisco is a *walking* town.) And further - they were at my door with those band aids faster than I would have thought possible.

When I have occasion to travel to San Francisco in the future, you can be sure that this is where I'll stay. I recommend it unreservedly.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear leylacheri,

Wow! Thank you so much for the 5-star review and we are thrilled to be the top of your 'hotel' list!! It is always great to hear compliments on our staff and I'll be sure to share your review with them. I must agree with you San Francisco is indeed a walking town and we hope your blisters are healed now. Your recommendation is much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Basel, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

The hotel is centrally located just off union square, rooms are a good size and have great views over the city. Staff service was excellent.
I usually stay over the road at the Taj, but I think this will be my new regular SF hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for the 5-star review! We are pleased you had such a pleasant experience with us! It is great to hear the Grand Hyatt San Francisco become one of your regular SF hotels! :) We certainly look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Carlsbad, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We have been staying at this hotel every time we have come to San Francisco (two times minimum per year) for the past ten years. Our last visit was for a week in April, when they had remodeled the rooms to a somewhat more Oriental flavor. One of the reasons we have always stayed there was the Grandview Lounge on the 36th floor.It had the best view in all of San Francisco and we spent many hours watching the ships and boats in ther harbor. Imagine our shock the find that, in the final part of the remodel, they have moved the bar and restaurant to the 4th floor, a box with no view!!! They took the best feature of their hotel and turned it into a conference area/private room. There are many very good hotels near the Square, but the biggest factor we always chose the Grand Hyatt was the view from the lounge! Very sad.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We understand many of our guests have fond memories and enjoyed the stunning view from top. It is sad to see the closing of Grandviews, but all of us are very much looking forward to the new beginning of OneUP and continue to create great experiences and memories with our guests. Your patronage to the Grand Hyatt San Francisco is absolutely appreciated and we hope that you will continue to come back and see us again.

Tiffany

Been to Grand Hyatt San Francisco? Share your experiences!