“5 Stars for the remodel and location....but not for service and dining” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hyatt San Francisco

Bed & Breakfast for Two
Ranked #30 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“5 Stars for the remodel and location....but not for service and dining”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

The location near Union Square is nearly unmatched (only a few others right on the square.). The rooms feel luxurious including remote blinds and elegant bath fixtures. The lobby and check in are modern -- very upscale. Valet (as one can expect in SFO) is fantastic. Unfortunately the rest of the staff, especially dining, seemed untrained and lacking sophistication for this level. I agree with other reviewers that moving the restaurant and bar from the 36th floor to "one Up" was a massive misstep. Moreover the restaurant seems to be suffering from serious freshman jitters. Food is sufferably slow in coming. Hours of operation seem to be erratic and subject to chef irrational preparation. That said when and if the food arrives it is spectacular. I can only hope they figure out the service irregularities as I do hope to return again with better dining experiences.

• Stayed November 2012
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear S&S,

Thank you so much for your review. We are delighted you enjoyed the renovated hotel and the convenient location of our hotel. We strive to provide excellent guest services and seems we fell short during your stay. Please accept our sincere apology for not exceeding your expectation. As we launch our new restaurant, our goal is to deliver the best experience and food and beverage to our guest, we truly appreciate your comment which helps us improve. Rest assure, it will be shared with my culinary team and food and beverage director to review. We certainly look forward to see you again soon.

Tiffany

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (573)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sacramento, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

It's been 7 years since I wrote my last review. We have been staying here several times a year for about 20 years. With the recent remodel, it's now one of the very best hotels in the city. The rooms, especially on the Regency Club floors, are nothing short of spectacular, both with their views, impeccible service in the Club, and the beautiful materials which have been used in the guest rooms. The huge lighted mirrors in the bathrooms seem to make everyone look 20 years younger ! The views from rooms on the north facing side of the hotel give the very best views, which include Coit Tower, the Pyramid, and Alcatraz.

The new lobby is beautiful and has individual desks rather than a single front desk. There is a new sitting area with a gas fireplace. However, the new bar is directly above and open to the lobby and on this Saturday night pulsating music from above was annoying.

This beautiful hotel still is about the most centrally located in the city -across the street from Union Square - and in the heart of the shopping area. I can recommend it without hesitation.

Room Tip: Rooms facing north on floors 20 and higher have spectacular views.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear JIMCHI,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review and welcomed back! We are delighted you enjoyed the new designed of the lobby and our guestroom! I must agree with you the view from the club is definitely beautiful and I'll be sure to share your compliments with our staff at the club! We appreciate your comment and recommendation, look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Like most frequent business travelers, I keep a mental list of which hotels really do it right (and which do not...) The Grand Hyatt San Francisco is absolutely at the top of my list! From the personalized attention upon check in, the doormen, the concierge, room service delivery - all are top notch. The eleventh floor room I stayed in was lovely and very comfortable. I am both picky and brutally honest - so I would tell you if I found anything to complain about, but I did not.

As a fine example of the care they take of their guests here, I called downstairs to see if I could get some band aids - I said I needed several. The young lady response was to ask - with great concern in her voice - if I was ok. I just don't think most places care like that. (I just had blisters - take your most comfortable shoes! San Francisco is a *walking* town.) And further - they were at my door with those band aids faster than I would have thought possible.

When I have occasion to travel to San Francisco in the future, you can be sure that this is where I'll stay. I recommend it unreservedly.

Dear leylacheri,

Wow! Thank you so much for the 5-star review and we are thrilled to be the top of your 'hotel' list!! It is always great to hear compliments on our staff and I'll be sure to share your review with them. I must agree with you San Francisco is indeed a walking town and we hope your blisters are healed now. Your recommendation is much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Basel, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

The hotel is centrally located just off union square, rooms are a good size and have great views over the city. Staff service was excellent.
I usually stay over the road at the Taj, but I think this will be my new regular SF hotel.

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for the 5-star review! We are pleased you had such a pleasant experience with us! It is great to hear the Grand Hyatt San Francisco become one of your regular SF hotels! :) We certainly look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Carlsbad, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We have been staying at this hotel every time we have come to San Francisco (two times minimum per year) for the past ten years. Our last visit was for a week in April, when they had remodeled the rooms to a somewhat more Oriental flavor. One of the reasons we have always stayed there was the Grandview Lounge on the 36th floor.It had the best view in all of San Francisco and we spent many hours watching the ships and boats in ther harbor. Imagine our shock the find that, in the final part of the remodel, they have moved the bar and restaurant to the 4th floor, a box with no view!!! They took the best feature of their hotel and turned it into a conference area/private room. There are many very good hotels near the Square, but the biggest factor we always chose the Grand Hyatt was the view from the lounge! Very sad.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We understand many of our guests have fond memories and enjoyed the stunning view from top. It is sad to see the closing of Grandviews, but all of us are very much looking forward to the new beginning of OneUP and continue to create great experiences and memories with our guests. Your patronage to the Grand Hyatt San Francisco is absolutely appreciated and we hope that you will continue to come back and see us again.

Galena IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We managed to pick our days about a week after the hotel completed remodeling. Our room had a great view over Union Square (as often noted this hotel has a great location) and was done in a contemporary style. The TV setup wasn't complete (should be very soon) but remained usable - just the channels available didn't match the guide. Nicely done bath, albeit a small counter, probably because it was handicap accessible and needed more room in some areas.

Very pleased with the new restaurant for breakfast (a separate review). The bar was excellent (a good selection of wine by the glass at (for SF) reasonable prices. Quick check in and out. Everything we could have expected and it's tops on our list for next time.

Room Tip: I'd speculate that most would like the view onto Union Square.
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review! We are delighted to hear you enjoyed the Union Square view from you room and the convenient location of our hotel. Our food at OneUP restaurant is carefully prepared by our Chef who uses only the freshest ingredients from local markets. Glad you enjoyed it. Your recommendation is our biggest compliment. Please come back and see us again soon!

Warm regards,
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed four nights in November 2012 at the SF Grand Hyatt located in Union Square. The Union Square area is convenient and feels relatively safe for tourists. Lots to do and see there as well. The recent room rennovations were excellent! Everything was new and fresh. The desk staff and concierge were helpful to me and my guests. When we were there they were in the process of completing rennovations on the lobby and restaurant. We were told this via email in advance so that this was not a surprise. My only disappointment was that the restaurant on site where I took the group for lunch was buffet only. This would have been fine but they ran out of food right away and the food they had was disappointing. Small complaint for a lovely property!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review. We are delighted you enjoyed the convenient location and the newly renovated rooms. Our restaurant was serving a limited menu during the transition of the new OneUP Restaurant. We apologize for the inconvenience caused. Now that the brand new restaurant is opened, we are serving some really amazing menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We hope to see you come back and taste our thoughtfully sourced, carefully served menu!

Warm regards,
Tiffany

Been to Grand Hyatt San Francisco? Share your experiences!