“Upscale hotel in the heart of SF” 5 of 5 stars

Bed & Breakfast for Two
Ranked #28 of 236 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Oslo, Norway
“Upscale hotel in the heart of SF”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

Stayed here 3 nights after two nights at the hyatt regency SF. Really liked the hotel stayed in a suite on 30 something floor. Since we were a family group we booked two large suites with amazing amazing view!wow! Service at high level and excellent concierge. The refurbish was due, but now excellent interiors. The design of the Grand & Regency is rather cool if you'r into contemporary architecture. You will indeed find moore personal hotels but I would stay again for sure. The lounge was comfortable with good selections. Ok gym and excellent to travel here with children.

Room Tip: Go for suite high floor
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, responded to this review, December 19, 2011
It is always great to hear when our guests have a fantastic stay. It sounds like you really enjoyed your suite. Our property offers some of the best views in San Francisco. I am pleased you found the service to be at a high level. We really enjoyed your feedback and look forward to having you back for a future visit!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (555)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011 via mobile

Rooms are nicely renovated but a little small. Breakfast was at top of hotel which had beautiful views of san Francisco. We love the view.

Location is good, just a block away from union square where all the shopping is.

Reception and bell service was good. However as we needed some help in deciding what to do, the service at concierge wasn't as helpful or friendly. The stay would have been much better if the service we encounter at concierge could be better.

Hotel rates considered high for the room size. Would recommend if location is main consideration without regard for room size.

• Stayed December 2011
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

Great hotel by Union square. It is very conveniently located to all retsuarants, attractions and near the convention center. One of the best amenities here is the use of the Regency club. this lounge is open for breakfast and then is open for coffee and soft drinks all day. in the evening there are hors doeurves and drinks (small charge). A lovely hotel

Room Tip: high floor
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

Let me first state that the renovated room is very beautiful. You can find all the beautiful features stated in other reviews. These upgraded rooms and the service offered at this hotel are the reasons that I will stay at this hotel again in the future if the rate is acceptable. However, there are some issues during my stay.

I booked a room with a conference. The rate was very reasonable and the internet was included for all the conference attendees who stayed at this hotel. The check-in was very quick; got a key but no paper to sign and was told that internet was included. Being a platinum Gold Passport member, I usually got free internet. Thus, I assumed that the hotel did have my GP member. I found it otherwise when I saw the bill before checkout. This also explained that I was not offered an upgrade to a higher floor room. At the night before checkout, I complained to front desk about the slow internet and too-bleached towels. I received a complimentary breakfast for the next morning without asking for. However, I found at checkout that that person did not put this offer on my room. I explained to this different person and was quickly credited for the breakfast. Even though I was assigned to a 10th floor room, the water from the shower is very slow. I did not have this problem in other days when showering before 6:00 am. One more thing is that you should get a breakfast somewhere else if it is not included in your rate. It is expensive (but good views from 36th floor) and the fruits are so so.

Why do I give it a five stars? It is the unbeatable location and the service!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, responded to this review, December 12, 2011
It is always a pleasure to hear when our guests have a great stay with us. I am pleased that you enjoyed your room and found the recent updates to be very beautiful. I am disappointed that there were some hiccups during your stay. However it sounds as if the staff was able to address this during your stay. We appreciate you loyalty to Hyatt and for choosing to stay with our property. Your recommendation is greatly appreciated. We look forward to having you back to Hyatt soon!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

This is a fine Hyatt hotel – unless the weather is bad – then forget it!

The rooms were remodeled in 2010 and 2011 and are typical Hyatt so no issues with that. All have comfortable beds, flat panel TV’s, convenient electrical outlets, wireless internet and so on. I stayed at this property 8 times this year and each stay was fine EXCEPT for my most recent visit. I was on the 26th floor and the wind picked up about 2 in the morning and the room creaked like one would imagine an old wooden sailing ship. It was so loud that sleep was very difficult. I complained to the front desk and they immediately offered to move me to the 7th floor saying that all rooms on high floors had creaking noises when the winds picked up.

So, off to the seventh floor I went. But, the next night same issue occurred. I even found a letter from the Front Office Manager in the room. The letter said: “Dear Grand Hyatt Guest, …Due to severe weather conditions and high winds, you may experience intermittent sounds in your guest room. Please be assured, this is common in high-rise buildings shifting with the pressure of the wind…..”

What? Are you kidding me? Wake up, Hyatt - all high rises don't creak in the wind!

Bottom line: check the weather forecast before you decide to stay here.

Room Tip: rooms on west side are quieter.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
los angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011 via mobile

I recently attended a conference that was being held at the Grand Hyatt, so for convenience booked a 2 night stay at the hotel. I usually like to stay at boutique hotels for a more personal touch. I was a bit wary that the Grand Hyatt would be like a "convention center" type hotel, but had a really wonderful time.
The location is perfect. I was fortunate to get a room overlooking Union square with the Christmas tree and ice-rink in view. Macys, Saks, and Barneys are just down the street and so cute to see the SPCA dogs and cats up for adoption in the windows of Macys. It is a few blocks north of the Montgomery BART stop.
The room was spacious, modern and bright. Instead of drapery, there was a button operated window screen. I felt so relaxed. The only thing that I disliked was that one could hear the wind, but I was so tired that once I fell asleep, it wasn't an issue.
The restaurant on the 37th floor has panoramic views of the bay and city. Unfortunately the area reserved for happy hour is limited, so it was packed at 5pm. With so many great restaurants in San Francisco including those with Michelin stars, I ended up eating outside the restaurant.
I am definitely looking forward to returning to San Francisco and a stay at the Grand Hyatt!

• Stayed December 2011
Harwich, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

This newly refurbished Grand Hyatt is very comfortable, well located, with a professional staff. Accommodations are very contemporary, with clean lines and relaxing colors. Our room was a good size for a city hotel. Every hotel and cruise ship seems to love those duvets on the (very comfortable) bed. They look lovely but are so hot and you can't turn down the thermostat low enough to be comfortable. That aside, I enjoyed having a great choice of pillow comfort on the bed - from soft to very firm - take your pick. Bathroom was clean, comfortable and well-laid out. A small "dressing" area was located between the bath and the room, opposite the large closet. There was some noisy construction going on across the street, a higher floor would have been a good choice (at a higher price) another time. This 36 story hotel has a very nice restaurant on the 36th floor with spectacular views, good menu, food, and attentive staff. We had both dinner and breakfast there. Prices were in line with any nice city restaurant. Super Shuttle service from the airport was fast and priced at $17 per person. We look forward to staying at the Grand Hyatt again in the near future.

Room Tip: I would request an upper floor just because of the city noise factor - we live in a quiet rural area...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Hyatt San Francisco? Share your experiences!