“Really enjoyed our stay - excellent job on the renovations” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Galleria Park, a Joie de Vivre hotel

You added Galleria Park, a Joie de Vivre hotel to your Saves list
Galleria Park, a Joie de Vivre hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   191 Sutter Street, San Francisco, CA 94104 (Financial District)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save 15% Off
Ranked #12 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Santa Rosa
“Really enjoyed our stay - excellent job on the renovations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2007

The renovations are amazing. The elevators were the only items still being redone - but everything else was done, and done extremely well. The lobby was very warm, cozy and inviting. The room was beautiful and very comfortable. The staff were attentive and polite. The location was perfect - we parked our car upon arrival and didn't need it until we checked out. So many restaurants and so much shopping within walking distance!

There was nothing negative or disappointing about our stay.

• Liked — The ambiance, and the location
  • Disliked — I did not experience anything negative during my stay
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2007

The renovation of this hotel is flawless. They even managed to make the lobby fireplace look new and fresh. It made the evening wine hour an even more lovely experience.

The rooms are spacious and I was lucky enough to get upgraded to a corner suite on the 8th floor. Although it was just me and my boyfriend this suite would be lovely for a family traveling together. The sitting room in addition to a queen sofa bed was big enough to have a table for four and plenty of room to walk around.

The bed was incredible! I may have to see what vendor they use the next time I'm in a market for a bed.

They are almost done with the elevator replacement which will make it much easier to get up and down easliy.

• Liked — Amazing bed and a very quiet hotel for a city.
  • Disliked — The one slow elevator, soon to be replaced.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2007

My husband and I stayed for two nights recently and had a great time. The hotel is gorgeous now from its recent rennovation and was a great deal. The price (especially for San Francisco) was excellent and the location was as well. Free wine in the evening, Aveda products in the bathroom, goregous new lobby, comfortable bed, clean, well-kept and close to Belden place and all the stores in Union Square. Would definitely recommend for our out of town guests. Rooms are on the smaller side- but that's true for almost any hotel in San Francisco. Overall, a great deal and location.

Bern, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2007

This hotel is in a great location and it feels very cosy. I really liked it although the rooms are definitely not luxurious – but the price is good! However, don’t ever park there, they charge you a horrendous amount.

Stayed November 2005
Sonoma, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2007

We checked into the Galleria Park on the night before New Year's Eve, 2006. The renovated lobby was imaculate and the fireplace was so inviting. Unfotunately, prior plans prevented us from enjoying the lobby this time. We set out into San Francisco and were immediately impressed with the hotel's location, just steps from the vibrant Union Square. After a night on the town, we found our stay quiet and restful. The rooms have been renovated and are quite stylish. The morning staff was pleasant and efficient. Having only 1 night at the Galleria Park, we can't wait to return.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — size of room
Sacramento, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2006

We got a GREAT rate through Priceline. Since this was my first experience with Priceline, I rushed to this website to see what we had gotten ourselves into. I have to say I was concerned, but I tried to shrug it off since we got such a great rate, and I didn't think we would spend that much time in the room. It turned out that I didn't have anything to worry about. Apparantly at this point they are only having guests stay in the newly renovated rooms. They have done a great job with the renovations, our room was decorated nicely and was very comfortable. Yeah the bathroom is small, but that is such a minor issue. I also found the staff to be extremely helpful and attentive. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Liked — Location, Nice rooms, Aveda products
  • Disliked — I could have used a bigger bathroom, but it wasn't a big deal
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2006

This hotel has several things going for it but they drop the ball when it comes to the details .

We stayed here for two nights at the end of October 2006 to see if it would be a good choice for guests of our upcoming wedding. We stayed in a renovated room on the 7th floor, which was decorated beautifully and was a comfortable size. The bed was exceptionally comfy and luxurious. The bathroom was small however, and had absolutely no shelf space so we had to pile up our toiletries on the floor by the sink. There was only one small mirror in the entire room - over the sink - which made getting dressed and ready a challenge for 2 people. I can't believe they didn't even bother to install a full length mirror somewhere. There was also no in-room safe, which meant I had to carry all my valuables in my handbag all weekend long.

Another disappointment was the staff - although most people at the front desk were friendly, they weren't very helpful. We called the "concierge" one morning and asked for help in contacting a rental car company; we were told they couldn't help us, not even with getting a phone number. I know this isn't a 4 or 5 star hotel, but you would think they would help with a basic request like this.

Avoid Perry's - we went here for a quick bite and the food was not fresh and not even cooked all the way through. There are several other restaurants within walking distance that are much better.

I really wanted to love this hotel - the interiors are quite fashionable since the renovation, and the location can't be beat. But the nonchalant attitude of the staff and some oversights on the details tarnished our stay. Service and attention to detail are supposedly the hallmarks of boutique hotels, but they missed the mark on both counts. For the rate we paid ($129 a night) I think we got what we paid for, but I wouldnt' call this place an amazing deal.

• Liked — location, stylish interior
  • Disliked — service
  • Tips/Secrets — ask for a renovated room on a high floor, don't eat at Perrys
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Galleria Park, a Joie de Vivre hotel? Share your experiences!