“Good location, quality rooms - below par service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Galleria Park, a Joie de Vivre hotel

Save Saved
You added Galleria Park, a Joie de Vivre hotel to your Saves list
Galleria Park, a Joie de Vivre hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   191 Sutter Street, San Francisco, CA 94104 (Financial District)   |
Ranked #13 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Netherlands
“Good location, quality rooms - below par service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

The hotel is in a good location for exploring SF on foot and this was the prime reason for selecting this hotel. The lobby and rooms are clean and at a luxury level that fits the price (nothing special but comfortable).

However - the service is appalling. The check in:
- it took a good 5-7 minutes to check us in from the point of it being our turn
- a lot of questions for things that are available in the booking already
- very rude and uninterested

This experience was consistent also with check-out and other front desk contact (other staff was better trained). During our stay we heard several guests with the same complaints - reason I am aware of this is that the check in experience was the topic of conversation in the elevator for every new arrival.

So in short I am finding the rating difficult - objectivly:
- price/quality is good
- location is good
- rooms are nice
Which would make it a 4* - however the staff would rather not have you in their hotel. And given it is called the 'hospitality' industry I think this warants a reduction of star.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Kevin S, Director of Operations at Galleria Park, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Esploratore,
Thank you so much for your recent TripAdvisor review. I am sorry to hear that you found our Front Desk staff to be unfriendly and disengaged. After speaking with my team, I truly believe that this was a one-time incident as we pride ourselves on providing genuine, personalized service to all of our guests. Please know that our team was very disheartened and sorry that they failed to meet your expectations.
Additionally, we have had some new additions to our team since your stay with us last November and I believe their contributions have assisted in improving our overall service.
Again, thank you for your time and we hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back to the Galleria Park Hotel in the future.
If I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me at kscott@jdvhotels.com
Best regards,
Kevin Scott

1,223 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Our room was small but the usage of space was amazing. I was so impressed with the cleanliness, decor and comfort of the room. The location of the hotel was great. We were able to walk to multiple districts (Union Square, SoMa, ChinaTown, North Beach). The hotel staff was very friendly and polite. Great places to eat/drink within a couple of blocks of the hotel. Business center was very nice.

Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Being in the Hospitality business I travel 60+ nights a year and stay in a "variety" of hotels. Galleria Park more than met my expectations. I stayed on the 8th floor which was very a spacious suite. The staff was friendly and made me feel welcome during my 2 night stay. I will definitely stay here the next time I visit SFO.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We've stayed in a Joie de Vivre before in Huntington Beach so we decided to try another one out. Same type of service and decor with complimentary wine in the evenings. This is an older building and space is at a premium, so not the exact same as the spacious one we stayed in before. We loved the location as it was close to many excellent restaurants, BART, and Chinatown. We loved walking out the door and being right in the middle of everything! We also enjoyed the soaps and lotions by LATHER. We would stay there again!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Pleasanton, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I recently visited The City over an extended weekend. My wife and I could not have picked a better place to stay. The location was AWESOME! Walking distance to Union Square, Market Street, great restaurants, Chinatown entrance, North Beach, and much more. We parked our car on Friday and picked it up as we left on Sunday. The view from the room was perfect. We were able to see the Chinese New Year parade from our room. The staff was friendly, and who can beat FREE wine each night!!! I would stay here 10 out of 10 times.

Loved it

Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

This hotel's main attraction is it's location....its in the heart of everything! Near union square where all the cities tour buses commence and just a few blocks walk to the beautiful china town. There is a supermarket just around the block and a cafe next door. The hotel itself is beautifully decorated and is very modern. My room was quite spacious but I was a little apprehensive about its location (room 820)...it was off the main corridor through a fire door and was basically on top of the fire stairs which was very unusual and I was a little worried about security especially the fact I stayed here by myself but everything worked out fine! My bathroom had two small shelves that were stocked with the hotel products so I had no counter space for my own products which ended up being put on the floor!! But overall this hotel is certainly recommended to anyone who likes a modern hotel in a fantastic location!

Room Tip: For solo women travelers...perhaps not room 820 as it is off the main corridor!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
GalleriaHotelGM, General Manager at Galleria Park, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Galleria Park Hotel.

Our location is surely one of the best areas in San Francisco as it's nearby all the major sights. Conveniently located in the heart of San Francisco, Galleria Park gives you easy access to everything the Bay Area has to offer to its visitors--just steps away from world-class shopping destinations in Union Square, Chinatown, Ferry Building, and many more.

I'm sorry to hear that you did not like the location of the room. I assure you that we have ample security cameras and staff members that keep our hotel safe and secure at all times.

With regards to the bathrooms, we are addressing the concerns you mentioned during our multi-million dollar renovation by adding brand new vanity sinks with cabinets and additional shelving.

I would take pleasure in welcoming you back so that I may personally take care of you. Please feel free to contact myself directly.

Thank you again for choosing the Galleria Park Hotel.

James Lim
jlim@jdvhotels.com
415-835-6473
Pleasanton, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel was amazing! We couldn't of asked for a more perfect location. We walked everywhere which saved us money and gave us a great work out! The room was spacious and had all the amenities we were looking for. We enjoyed the Chinese New Year parade from the comfort of our room! The Bread and Cocoa coffee shop was convenient as well. Loved the jogging patio and jogging route suggestions posted in the elevator. The staff was friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay here again and will suggest to all my friends and family.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Galleria Park, a Joie de Vivre hotel? Share your experiences!