“A San Fransisco Treat” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Galleria Park, a Joie de Vivre hotel

You added Galleria Park, a Joie de Vivre hotel to your Saves list
Galleria Park, a Joie de Vivre hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   191 Sutter Street, San Francisco, CA 94104 (Financial District)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save 15% Off
Ranked #13 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Boston
“A San Fransisco Treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

The Galleria Park has a great location and the service was terrific. I was in town for a combination of business and personal reasons so the location was great for me near the Financial District and other downtown things to do.

The hotel was very helpful with directions and transporation to the de Young and Legion of Honor Museums. In general I found the staff to be helpful and courteous.

I was even able to walk to the trendy SOMA area for dinner with friends.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
GalleriaHotelGM, General Manager at Galleria Park, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you so much for your 5-Star review! It was wonderful to hear that you found our that our location was very convenient for and that our staff was helpful and were able to assist you with your needs. Your business is much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

My wife and I and son stayed in mid-October and thought this was an excellent value for the money in piricey San Fran. It's three short blocks from Union Square and easy to access Powell or Market streets, cable and street car lines, Embarcadero, Chinatown, etc. Staff was truly friendly, there was no long line at check in and i appreciated the front desk phoning after we were settled in to ask if all was OK in the room. They have a nice wine hour every night in the lobby, which was a convenient time prior to going out and after a day of shopping or touring. Internet access was included in the room - another bonus you don't often get at the larger chains, I would highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for an interior room if possible - they are quieter than if facing Sutter Street.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Grand Rapids, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stayed at the Galleria Park for a week on early October 2012. The hotel is nice and has some historic charm, but lacks some modern elements that would go a long way toward making it nicer. I do think that they are making some improvements over the next year or so that will help, but in the mean time it is still not a bad place to stay.

I was given a handicap-accessible room which was average size, with a very large but sparse bathroom. I faced the courtyard which was quiet but had a uninspiring view. The temperature outside was nice enough that I just opened my windows and did not use the AC or heat, so I can't comment on the wall unit.

Pros:
- convenient location, near a lot of downtown attractions and public transportation
- my room was moderately sized, probably on the larger side for a "historic" hotel but small if you are used to US chains
- manager's cocktail hour was a nice touch, but the lobby could get crowded
- room was clean and housekeeping did a good job
- room had a decent TV and a good channel selection (although I couldn't find a channel list anywhere)
- in-room honor bar was well-stocked with a good variety of food and drinks
- there is an in-hotel running track and gym

Cons:
- free wi-fi had a decent signal but was extremely slow (seriously, like 20kbps -- barely enough to check email). They had "faster" wi-fi available for purchase, but I find it disingenuous to advertise free wi-fi included if it is essentially unusable for even basic things like browsing the modern web
- bathroom was very sparse -- no cupboard or countertop and only a very small shelf over the toilet to put your toiletries
- you can tell you are in an old building, to the point where it feels just a tiny bit run-down.

Misc:
- hotel staff was pleasant and did their best to answer questions, but there was not a dedicated concierge so if you need help planning something complicated you might find it difficult.
- "business center" computers were nice iMacs, but were pay per use unless you were doing a pre-approved task like printing a boarding pass

Overall it was a decent hotel for the price. I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it to others, but I also wouldn't tell people to stay away.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Kevin S, Director of Operations at Galleria Park, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Dear GR_Travels,
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay. We were thrilled to read that you had found so many pros about our hotel, our location and the service provided.
In regards of the cons, we are going to be starting an extensive bathroom renovation in a couple of weeks that will address all of the concerns you mentioned. Furthermore, we are planning an upgrade of our internet system in the first part of 2013.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back once we have completed these enhancements.
Again, thank you so much your feedback!
Best regards,
Kevin Scott
kscott@jdvhotels.com
West Hollywood, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

i stayed at this hotel three times on business in the last two months. The staff are very helpful, the property is generally well maintained and I even like the decor. However, some rooms are claustrophobic and right above a noisy street. I live in an urban area and stay in large cities frequently, and this is not what I would expect for the price I paid.

I have stayed at many hotels in San Francisco in the last 20 years, and I would recommend this hotel only if you are offered a significantly better price than other hotels in the financial district or Union Square.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
GalleriaHotelGM, General Manager at Galleria Park, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

I am disappointed to hear that your stay did not exceed your expectations. It is our goal to offer our guests top quality accommodations and services, so I am sorry this is not what you experienced. We do find there is a higher demand for rooms during early fall, which affects the rates in the city.

We gladly take your comments into consideration and we are committed to upholding our reputation as a top Financial and Union Square hotel in San Francisco so we hope you will visit us again soon.

James
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

It's always nice to arrive at a hotel after a long flight and be greeted by such lovely front desk staff, they were so friendly and accommodating at both check in and check out. Galleria Park is a boutique hotel with a lovely decorated lobby area. When we arrived there were guests relaxing in the chairs by the fireplace having a quiet drink and the girl on the front desk told us there was complimentary wine hour but we unfortunately didn't get to make this. The hotel and rooms are very clean, the bed very comfortable and in a great location (just a short stroll from Union square). If I ever find myself back in San Francisco I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Bay Area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed here for the first time to attend a local music festival. I've stayed in many hotels in San Francisco, mostly boutique, this is by far my favorite.

It is very close to Union Square, China Town, Market Street, BART and Muni. In other words, you can get everywhere for free on foot or for cheap on public transportation. We spent a day doing everything to come back to a nice wine reception in their lobby. Sipping wine and sitting next to the fireplace just made the day even better. It was a last minute booking for us during a very busy weekend full of major events in the city so the rate was not fabulous, but we really enjoyed ourselves.

The room (2 double beds) was very tight, but our expectations were set, because that's typical of San Francisco hotels. My only complaint was that the bed was just too soft and bouncy, which made me feel like I was going to bounce off when my bedmate shifted during the night. Other than that, the hotel is very tastefully decorated. Pretty, but comfortable instead of stark and ultra modern.

I highly recommend this hotel if you love to shop, eat and explore the city.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

recently stayed in the Galleria Park on our Honeymoon and have to say was very dissapointed! This hotel advertises as 4* but is nothing like it and compared to UK standards would 3* at best

room was tiny and only had a shower (which was really bad!!) and was very dated!

location is good, in the shopping district and only 5 - 10 mins walk from good bars / restaurants

staff were good and were very helpfull for restaurant / advice on trams etc

might be ok for 1 or 2 nights if travelling alone on buisness or something but not for a couple on honeymoon!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at the Galleria Park Hotel and for taking the time to give us your review on Trip Advisor.

On behalf of the team, we are disppointed to learn that your recent stay with us was not up to standard. We have started undergoing a refurbishment of various areas in our hotel and are about to start the major part of it in November.

Many of our friends from the U.K. find our hotel very comfortable and are pleased with the services and amenities, including the size of our rooms. Our rooms are indeed average size rooms in San Francisco downtown, being that it's one of the historical, boutique hotels in the City.

Thank you for your feedback relating to your stay with us.

Been to Galleria Park, a Joie de Vivre hotel? Share your experiences!