“Wonderful family reunion” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Drisco

You added Hotel Drisco to your Saves list
Hotel Drisco
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2901 Pacific Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94115 (Pacific Heights)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 234 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Redding, CT
“Wonderful family reunion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2006

I just had to write after seeing a negative review about, of all things, Pajamas!!?? When my son married in San Francisco several years ago we all stayed there and had a blast. Our room was lovely, the service was exceptional, and my daughter-in-law had her bridesmaids' luncheon there on the day of the wedding, which was delicious and well-served. This hotel is a little bit more expensive than what we usually need, but I would not hesitate to stay there again if the situation called for it.
Pisces143

• Liked — Nothing stands out - it was very attractive and low keyed
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Tips/Secrets — no
  • Stayed May 2002, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Korean first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2006

Nice hotel in Pacific Heights, but my room had two single beds and was the size of a postage stamp. Not sure why they don't just use one double bed instead, but it felt like I was sleeping in my grandmother's attic. I'm a small woman, but the single bed situation in a nice hotel does not cut it. I didn't sleep very well as a result. The bathroom, on the other hand, was big and the neighborhood, right by the Presidio, is gorgeous.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hotel-Drisco, General Manager at Hotel Drisco, responded to this review, October 6, 2006
We always welcome feedback from our Guests and we were delighted to read the positive comments from our Guest from Colorado. We appreciate the fact that the Guest found the Drisco attractive and our neighborhood as "gorgeous".
Of course we regret the Guest was not comfortable as we would wish and we acknowledge that the few rooms with twin beds in the hotel are not spacious. In fact we have been debating for some time the possiblility of converting them to a one queen size bedroom in the face of their popularity with families of our.
We always describe the room with twin beds as limited in size when Guests call to reserve. I believe it was the only room available when this Guest made the reservation.
We certainly hope this Guest will give us another opportunity to show her the hospitality for which we are know . Especially for business travelers, we have accommodations that include a desk, free high speed access Internet in every room and a business center.
NY/SF
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2006

overall, nice hotel, but bad service.
as soon as i arrived, i climbed up the stairs(parlour) to the check in desk and asked for help with my luggage. we had 7 large pieces of luggage. nobody showed up to the street curb and my husband and I unloaded everything from the taxi and carried it up the stairs all by ourselves!!! this was entirely unacceptable but the person at the desk(a young guy) simply somewhat apologized saying he couldn't find anyone. !!??!

i decided to forget about this one time bad experience as i guess these mishaps could happen anywhere?

the next day i approached the desk to ask a simple question. i was behind a guy who was taking his time to occupy 2 people at the desk(different people from the first day of check in). i patiently waited. the 2 people who were working behind the desk did not aknowledge me once and had me keep on waiting. furthermore, when another customer randomly cut in line and simply approached the desk to ask his question, the woman(older curly hair) behind the counter started helping the other person when she clearly saw me standing in line for at least 5 minutes. WTF!!??

this hotel exudes class from the outside, but has none in the inside. the employees are amateurs.

• Liked — old charm. nice spacious suite
  • Disliked — front desk staff. location was residential. nothing around.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Victoria BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2006

I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you and your excellent staff for making our 15th anniversary, one of the best experiences to date.

Everyone we dealt with, from the front desk to the cleaning staff were top notch. I have stayed in many varied hotels in my life, but this one was by far one of the nicest...we both love historic hotels!

Thank you so much for the amazing room (207). Having a room with a view and one that was so nicely appointed made for a very romantic experience. The champagne and chocolates, with the nice card was also appreciated.

The included breakfast is a great touch and matches the high standards of this hotel

So please thank everyone and if we come to SF again, we will be staying with you! Being relatively close to Califorinia street and the #1 bus made getting to down town/cable cars easy.

• Liked — historic nature of the hotel, with updated ammenities
  • Disliked — a bit far from downtown but not a real problem given transit and taxis
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Springfield, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2006

My husband and I just returned home from a 5 day stay in San Francisco to celebrate our 10th anniversary. According to our budget, we could only afford one night in a really nice hotel, so I spent lots of time researching different hotels. The Hotel Drisco's reviews stood out among the others.
We were not disappointed upon arrival. The neighborhood was quiet and beautiful. The staff were all more than gracious and helpful. The room was beautiful and well appointed. After a long, busy 4 days exploring the city, it was so nice to enjoy the bath amenties and a long relaxing soak.
With the plethera of dining choices available in San Francisco, we had contemplated going out for breakfast after checking out, but we decided to stay and enjoy as much of this little gem as we could before leaving. The hotel breakfast had a wonderful selection of foods and we enjoyed a quiet start to our long day of travel homeward.
All in all, we found the Hotel Drisco to be absolutely romantic and charming. Our only regret was that we couldn't have spent every night of our stay at the Drisco. We look forward to spending much more time there in the future.

• Liked — quality of furnishings and amenities
  • Disliked — that the bed was already turned down and we didn't get to see it fully made up. I'm sure it was beautiful.
  • Tips/Secrets — If you check in around 5 or 6 pm they offer complimentary wine and hors d'oeuvres in the sitting room. A very nice way to unwind from your travels.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Andover MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2006

My husband and I booked a four night stay in a large King suite at the Drisco. On arriving in SF and realizing that we were a $10 cab ride from the tourist attractions, we were at first disappointed. But the Hotel Drisco's location in Pacific Heights is so lovely and quiet that we quite fell in love with it. Pacific Ave is an elegant street of private homes overlooking the bay. Just gorgeous. The room was huge, clean and attractive; the bathroom was modern and clean. Breakfasts (included) were delicious. The front desk was friendly and even helped me book a side trip to Yosemite one day ahead, when another tour company cancelled at the last minute. I would definitely go back and recommend the Hotel Drisco to anyone (knowing you cannot walk to the cable cars or Fisherman's Wharf).

• Liked — Room was great
  • Disliked — Location away from center of city
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2006

I searched high and low for just the perfect hotel for our ONE and ONLY Night in San Francisco. We had traveled to San Francisco all the way from Virginia, and I was so looking forward to Staying at the Drisco. Whe we walked in, it was just like I had imagined, lovely, just like the pictures. I could not wait to get checked in and see the beautifully decorated early 1900's king size room, that hopefully had a city view like I had requested. Upon checking in I was told that they had given our room away to a guest that had wanted to stay another night. There was only one room left, but they would give it to us complimentry. They showed us the room, it was down a hall across from the front desk, it was very, very small, had a view of a window of another room, AND we did not have a bathroom in the room. We would use a bathroom down the hall. The bathroom was just for our own use, but it WAS DOWN THE HALL!!! I was sooo disappointed. It was later in the day, and we had been seeing the cites all day, we were tired and just were looking forward to relaxing and enjoying a beautiful room. I was speechless, as I was just so disappointed in our accomidations.
The service was very nice, the breakfast very nice too, but I just could not get over my disappointment of the room, the view that did not exist, and the bathroom being down the hall. It just was very disappointing for our ONE and Only night in SF. I could of stayed anywhere in San francisco, but I chose the Drisco because of the reviews, location, and quaintness of the rooms that I had read about. I just feel like the Hotel should of offered us a room somewhere else in SF, (and there are many) in another one of the hotels the Joie de Vivre Hospitality boutique hotel's, that company own.
Amy A.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Hotel-Drisco, General Manager at Hotel Drisco, responded to this review, August 22, 2006
Please allow us to offer our most sincere apologies for the understandable disappointment expressed by our recent Guest. We accept complete responsibility for this mishap, and for not thinking to suggest that we offer another room at another hotel.
The unfortunate situation occured when Guests staying in a room with a view the night before dicided to extend their stay one more night without checking with the front Desk Host. We were mistaken in supposing the Guest was about to check out late; unfortunately that was not the case.
Under the circumstances we did book the arriving Guests into a very last room available, offering the room with our compliments, understanding it was not what had been expected. When our Front Desk Host escorted the new Guests to the available room, the Guests, perhaps out of courtesy did not register a complaint. Otherwise we would have certainly relocated them to another property.
We are truly embarrassed not to have anticipated the understandable disappointment. We would like to show our apologies by offering the Guest yet another complimentary night at the Drisco.

Been to Hotel Drisco? Share your experiences!