“Lovely hotel, great staff.” 5 of 5 stars

Free breakfast!
Ranked #1 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
N. Ireland
“Lovely hotel, great staff.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2009

We stayed here for 4 days when we arrived for a 3 week trip to california. Our room was on the same level as reception and we had a view over the city. We knew it was located in Pacific Heights and not near Downtown but it is a beautiful neighbourhood with amazing views over the bay, golden gate bridge and Presidio within just a short walk. The staff were fantastic - couldn't have been more helpful - they gave us good recommendations for restaurants and were able to give us clear directions and a map of bus routes (which made getting around town very easy), they were also extremely pleasant and welcoming. The wine and cheese in the evening is a lovely treat after a day on the go! Our room was very clean and the bathroom was excellent. We stayed one more night later in the holiday and were given a room on the dining room level - admittedly this room wasn't just a nice as the first one we'd had but it was just for a night and we were fine with that.
Thank you Hotel Drisco - it was an absolute pleasure staying with you! If we're back in SF some time we'll be back to stay with you!

1,018 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2009

Ive been traveling a lot and stayed in many different hotels since my job is a flight attendent and I can tell this hotel was definitely one of my favorite hotels!

I traveled with husband and our 6months old daughter. Room was very clean and especially the bathroom was. We got a room with kingsize bed and a little crib for our daughter(I think it would be better if you could bring your own crib sheet and bumper since they just cover the crib mattress with normal adult mattress sheet). We stayed there for 4 nights.

First day we decided to take the free ride hotel was providing and walk back to the hotel from downtown. That was little too much for us because the hotel is on high hill and we had to carry baby stuff and the baby. But if we were traveling by ourselves, we wouldve enjoyed walking even though we are not the best walkers. The neighborhood is really peaceful, nice, and well taken care.

Service was really great. We didn't have much time to plan about our tirp before we went there, but the first day we got there, the staff showed our room explained about the city and recommended places to go and that helped out a lot. Very small details about their service impressed us.

Paking around the hotel wasn't hard at all and we didn't pay anything for parking(compare to the hotels in downtowny that you need to pay about $40-50 for parking per day, it wonderful). Free internet access was pleasant as well. Iron board, iron that they had in the roon were clean, too(it doesnt happen with every hotel in my experience). Also complementary continental breakfast was really wonderful. Fresh baked bread was prepared everymorning and great staff delivers you freshly brewed latte or cappucinno. Usually I don't expect much with complementary breakfast(especially when it's continental) but it nicely filled us up every morning. We enjoyed good price room service sandwiches very much as well.

I really think it was great choice and would go back to this one when we go back to visit San Francisco.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
san jose, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

Hotel Drisco, in the community of Pacific Heights, was outstanding in everyway. The neighbor setting, the houses, the quietness, everything was perfect. The room was outstanding - we were upgraded to a front room suite which looked towards the S.F. bay. The hotel staff were all courteous, helpful, unpretentious, and friendly. The continental breakfast, in a wonderful little room, was vast and plentiful. The front desk staff was able to make excellent suggestions for dinner, looked at the menus to ensure they could accommodate our tastes and gifted us a dessert at the restaurant (what a great surprise!)...Loved it all and I do not say this very often!!!! Thank you, thank you....

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2009

I chose the Hotel Drisco for a birthday getaway for my husband because of the many rave reviews on Tripadvisor. Not only were the positive reviews accurate, we got MORE than we expected. First, the receptionist, I believe her name is Marty, was AWESOME. Super cool, knowledgable about the area (directed us to a great pub for drinks), and just nice. Next, we were happily surprised to have been upgraded to a bigger room--I believe it was a suite (I can't imagine they can do this all the time, but we stayed during the week and before arriving, I made sure to tell them it was my hubbie's 50th). We walked inside the room and there was champagne, chocolate, and birthday card for my husband (not a generic one either--it was like from Papyrus or something, and they wrote a nice note)!!! The room was impeccable, nice attention to detail, super comfy bed, spacious bathroom, nice view of the bay. The area around the hotel is nice, upscale, and quiet; driving there, i didn't imagine a hotel would be in that area. The free breakfast the next morning was wonderful!!! There are no bad things to say about this hotel. I wish i lived closer so i could stay more often!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2009

I stayed at Hotel Drisco for the first time last weekend and can honestly say that I don't plan to ever stay anywhere else in SF ever again! The location, quality and above all, level of care and attention provided by the hotel staff were unparalleled. From the moment I checked in until a departed (unfortunately, a mere 24 hours later) I was made to feel like a truly treasured guest.

Specifically, upon check in I was upgrade to a phenomenal suite (room 103) that felt more like a private apartment than a room in a hotel. Also, when I pulled up to the hotel in my rental car, I parked in the temporary loading zone as directed. When I came back out to move my car, I found that I had been inadvertently boxed in by a tow truck that was picking up a vehicle to be serviced from a nearby home. The owner of the car and the tow truck driver both apologized and said that they would do their best to hurry, but of course you can't really rush something as important as strapping a 2 ton vehicle to the back of a tow truck! When the bellman stepped out of the lobby and saw that I was waiting, he offered to wait and then park my car for me, and then bring the keys back to my room! Talk about service!

The hotel itself is located in historic Pacific Heights, with gorgeous views of the bay amid dramatic victorian homes. If you are concerned about being far from the traditional tourist spots (Embarcadero, Union Square, etc...) don't be - SF is not a very large city and cabs are both plentiful and affordable. Besides, this neighborhood is truly the most beautiful and unique.

As mentioned above, I was only in town for one night and as such, was a little worn out from the hectic travel schedule. Hotel Drisco provided the perfect opportunity to relax: after I checked in I was able to enjoy the complementary wine and cheese reception downstairs from 5:00-6:30. Also, I was able to relax in the comfortable sitting room facing the main road in front while waiting for my dinner guests to pick me up. Also, in the morning there is a delicious breakfast buffet served (included in the price of the room) and I was even able to purchase a panini sandwich to go, as I was going to be on the road for the day.

Everything about my stay was truly perfect and I returned home excited to tell my husband that I had found the perfect place to stay during our next visit to the City!

Bottom line: This hotel provides the quintessential SF experience! You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Cayucos, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

My husband and I spent the night in San Francisco for our first anniversary and decided to stay at the Hotel Drisco because of its great reviews. It surely lived up to the rave reviews, we had a wonderful time. We stayed in a city view suite and had a great view, plenty of room, and all the amenities. The bed was VERY comfortable, great bathroom, and excellent concierge services. I highly recommend the Hotel Drisco and will stay again.

Los Angeles area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

Casual friends of ours had recommended this hotel, We weren't sure whether we could really trust their opinions...but took a chance. We were delighted with this charming place. It is small (only 4 floors), but intimate and attentive.

The staff is professional and courteous, the room/suite that we had overlooked the city. The amenities were fresh, spotlessly clean and more than adequate.

The next time we're in San Francisco, we will DEFINITELY stay at the Drisco, again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Drisco? Share your experiences!