“Offseason splurge in a lovely Inn!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 234 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Fairfax, VA
“Offseason splurge in a lovely Inn!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2009

After seeing the corner suite on the 3rd floor, which we were told was surprisingly available, and the room we had reserved, which had an internal view, we were persuaded to upgrade to a suite for the bargain price of $244 per night. The views ot the city and water with the sunshine streaming in sold us and made it worth every penny. As previous reviews have mentioned, the breakfast is really great. The presentation is very elegant. Even though the photos make it look like the breakfast room is underground, it is at street level with an eastern view and lots of light. The evening wine reception is a wonderful amenity which unfortunately we were only able to enjoy our first night. SF is a great city for walking, and we spent most of our time away from the hotel. Take advantage of the written information that is available at the front desk suggesting things to do. We never happened upon the coffee room or the exercise room until the last day. The coffee room is the first room on the left when you enter the hotel; it is like a living room. The exercise room on the breakfast room level has several modern looking machines and even a stability ball. We loved this hotel. Our only slight displeasure, due to the location of the hotel, was not having easy access to public transportation and not providing parking for a rental car. On the weekend street parking is not a problem, but during the week it is more difficult. We did take advantage of the town car the day we left to take us to the downtown Bart station so we could take it to the airport. We feel we were able to enjoy a luxurious vacation at a very reasonable price, since at high season this suite is more like $459.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Korean first
El Dorado Hills, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2009

As we both checked in, we felt a warm, smile from down deep. The dignity, warmth, caring that the employees exude, heals us from the start. Every detail of this hotel has been provided with the guests in mind...as the lighting, linens, cleanliness, breakfast, concierge services, interior design detail all makes us feel like royalty. Cannot wait to return!!!!!

Burlington, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2009

We are seniors who have travelled extensively. This hotel was comfortable and charming - a home away from home. Staff was so knowledgable and helpful, anticipating our every need. The service was outstanding. We loved the location - away from the maddening crowds, but yet close to everything. It was one of the most positive stays we have ever had!

Orange County, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2009

We were very pleased with our stay at the Hotel Drisco. The property and neighborhood were charming. There was a sense of privacy which we enjoyed. We experienced outstanding service. The breakfast was terrific. The best part was the excellent value. We plan to return.

• Liked — Value
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2009

The Drisco is a charming and friendly hotel, in a quiet residential area. I was upgraded to a large and comfortable suite. The staff are friendly and accomodating, and they have a sunny sitting room on the main level and a large lower level dining room that serves a nice breakfast. The lower level has a small fitness center and a computer station. (guests have access to the local YMCA)

Tripadvisor readers shoule be aware the Drisco is not particularly convenient to Union Square, Downtown, or the tourist attractions in S.F., but the City is compact and has good public transportation.

I would definitely stay here again for a stay in SF.

• Liked — Charming property, friendly staff
  • Disliked — It may be a little off the beaten path for some, not for others
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2009

Excellent re-model of a 100 year old hotel in Pacific Heights area of San Francisco. We had a forth floor corner suite that was beautifully furnished and had views of the city and bay. Service and amenities were top of the line.

• Liked — location and views
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Corvallis, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2009

While I was tempted to stay in other parts of town for the sake of convenience, I selected the Drisco based on the Trip Advisor reviews and was not disappointed. The hotel has a warm and home-like feel. I had a room on the 2nd floor which was comfortable and quiet. I did feel like I was in a private home rather than a hotel. My room was spacious and decorated in an attractive manner. I was even impressed that I had an actual key rather than an electronic card to get into the room.

The bathroom was also spacious and had a nice shower head. I was impressed that I always had good water pressure and hot water each morning. The lighting was fairly good in the bathroom, as well, so my makeup would look natural, rather than clown-like, when I went out for the day.

I took advantage of the free breakfast each morning, as well as the evening wine reception. They also have coffee and water available all day, which was a nice perk.

I think what truly set this property apart from any others in the city was the staff. Michael, Marty, and the other front desk employees treated me like family. I depended on them for everything, from helping me select a restaurant each evening, to getting me in touch with the closest drugstore when I had an unexpected need arise. They took such good care of me! Also, my town car driver, Roberto, was personable and expressed a genuine concern for me. I know he works for the town car company, but in my mind I've made him an employee of the Drisco by association. (Anyway, I highly recommend his service for your trip to and from the airport.)

I don't know if/when I'll ever visit San Francisco again, but if I do, I plan to stay at the Drisco. Who knows? I might just have to make a special trip to the city just to visit my hotel family. :)

• Liked — The way the staff made me feel important and like a member of their family.
  • Disliked — The lack of individual temperature control in my hot room. I left the window open all week!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel Drisco? Share your experiences!