“Favorite Hotel Ever!!!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Tampa, Florida
“Favorite Hotel Ever!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

My husband and I stayed here for a few nights during our honeymoon (make sure to include information like that when booking and they will probably give you something extra).I still dream about it and smile every time I think about it. It was by far the best hotel experience of my life thus far. Every single one of the staff we encountered were amazing. Even the maids looked you in the eye and sincerely wished you a nice day. The concierge and doormen went above and beyond to help us out, move our car, recommend places to go and hail taxis. Plus they host a cheese and wine tasting every night which is to die for. We tasted some of the best wine and found my all time favorite cheese. The hotel was beautiful and clean. I wish I could stay here for every vacation. When we return to San Francisco we will absolutely be staying here again even though it was a little bit of a hike to get to places. The bus ran pretty close though.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better view, but all seemed good.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

1,029 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Pros - Amazing personal service (you get what you pay for), fabulous wine reception, beautiful traditional hotel
Cons - No parking (although staff will look after your car keys & move your car to avoid a parking ticket), no air con, very noisy overnight (because you need to keep your windows open to keep cool), Pacific Heights is quite isolated from the rest of San Francisco

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We spent 5 nights at the Drisco and could have stayed even longer. From the moment you arrive you realize you are somewhere special and are treated as such. The service, the food and the terrific staff all reminded me of a luxury hotel in London where service is everything. The location is the best, on the top of Pacific Heights with 360 degree views at every corner. Just walking the neighborhood was a treat. Numerous old style mansions inches away from the next one. The wine and cheese each afternoon was a real treat and the breakfast was incredible, espresso, lattes, wonderful food!!

The location is a few blocks from The Presido from which you can walk to the Golden Gate Bridge. Also a few block from the Fillmore Street district which has some of the best local restaurants in the City.

If you are considering a stay at the Drisco, book it, it will be one of the best travel decisions you make.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Wow! We had such a wonderful time escaping "life as parents" with the Hotel Drisco as our home base.

We noted the reviews from other people (thank you!) that mentioned the difficulties in parking so chose not to rent a car for this trip and were very happy with the result. The hotel driver was very nice and made our visit very comfortable. We're from the prairies so were happy to let someone else contend with the hills of San Francisco!

The afternoon snacks and wine tasting was wonderful. My husband was tempted to skip dinner and just eat meatballs -- I wouldn't let him *smile* though I agree, they were really good meatballs. The front sitting room with tea was also very nice.

The room was lovely, the bed was comfortable and the bathroom was lovely. I loved the touch of the bathtub products (bath salts, etc) that were provided. We also loved the "white noise machine".

We didn't pay extra or "try" to get a nice view in the hotel so our room wasn't "special" and it was still a wonderful city view (in other words, I think most views in the hotel would be very nice).

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who asks.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
DriscoManager, General Manager at Hotel Drisco, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear ltcguenther,

I'm very glad that you found the Drisco to be a romantic escape from your life as parents -- we specialize in that!

We have so many unique and special amenities here at the Drisco that I am always intrigued to see which ones our guests choose to comment on. In your case, I was pleased to see that you enjoyed the signature meatballs we serve during our complimentary wine reception each night, our wonderful Bvlgari bath amenities and our bedside sleep machine.

Many of our guestrooms do have spectacular views of San Francisco, however quite a few also look inwards at our interior courtyard. If a great view is important to you then please book one of our room types with "City View" in the guestroom name.

Many thanks for your great review!

Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The property is in a very nice part of Pacific Heights, on top of the hill looking down over the San Francisco Bay. The rooms were nice. There is one small elevator and a narrow stairway so it's a minor challenge to get to the room. There is also no parking on site, so the valet staff parks your car on the street and moves it every couple hours to comply with the neighborhood parking rules (a little weird).

There is a complimentary continental breakfast and evening wine tasting/appetizers. Also, although we did not have a change to use it, the hotel apparently provides complimentary access to the Presidio YMCA.

We were only able to stay 1 night before moving on, but would stay here again in the future. Far cheaper than the major hotels in Union Square and many more perks.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear timo123123,

I'm very glad you enjoyed your stay and will be returning!

There's no question that we're a one-of-a-kind hotel. Built in 1903, we've taken great care to have preserved all of the original architectural charm (including smaller staircases and elevators than you would find in a large, modern hotel!) while weaving in all manner of modern necessities.

We also take great pride in the parking services that our Bell Staff offers. In fact, I am unaware of any other hotel in the world that offers to move your vehicle every few hours in order to keep you in compliance with the rather strict local parking regulations. Complimentary I might add!

Thanks for your review, and I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed one night at the Hotel Drisco and our only regret is not booking several more. Everything here was top notch from the service, to the room, to the location. It was one of the best hotel experiences I've had! We enjoyed the wine and cheese reception in the afternoon and the breakfast...well, I don't think I've ever been able to order a latte at a "free breakfast with your stay" before. We used their free bikes all day to explore the Presidio, Golden Gate Bridge, and Golden Gate Park. It was a relatively short walk to a wide of array of restaurants, cafes, and shops.The location right next to the Presidio was beautiful and relaxing. I would absolutely stay here again if/when I find myself in San Francisco!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Sarafloot,

Thanks for your great review! I'm so pleased that you were able to use our bikes all day during your recent stay, and that you enjoyed our location next to the Presidio -- what an amazingly beautiful park.

I hope your travels do take you to San Francisco again in the near future so we can welcome you back as one of our many repeat guests.

San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stayed just one night on business, but I've never experienced friendly, more genuine hotel staff anywhere in the world. Everyone smiling, offering to help, taking time and caring to ask about my needs, but in a low-key and unobtrusive, down to earth way. The hotel itself is lovely and immaculate; comfy but supportive beds and thick, soft bedding with great pillows, quiet, delicious and varied buffet breakfast, excellent location. Elegant but not snooty. Highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Dear BOJ_11,

We do pride ourselves on our facilities here at the Drisco -- very comfortable indeed. But without a doubt it's the amazing team of folks we have working here that generate the most heartwarming and memorable comments on Trip Advisor. Thanks so much for your kind words!

John Spear

Been to Hotel Drisco? Share your experiences!