“Delightful stay.” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Sydney, Australia
“Delightful stay.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

This Hotel is a delight. The staff are wonderful and very helpful and attentive. The room we stayed in was gorgeous with terrific views of the San Francisco neighborhood. The added touches like a cup of tea delivered to our room when we returned to the hotel in the evenings were magic. Breakfast was delicious and not to be missed. We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel and would love to stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
DriscoManager, General Manager at Hotel Drisco, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post a review. I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

John Spear

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

Title says it all. I have stayed at this 30 room boutique in Pacific Heights more than a dozen times over the last 5 years. They have almost zero staff turnover - desk staff is super accommodating - and 70% of their guests are repeat. No hotel feels more like home - my wife would be happy to move in! And they have great breakfasts and wine and cheese hours.

Room Tip: Ask for City View on one of top 2 floors. Suites are even better but, of course, more expensive.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
DriscoManager, General Manager at Hotel Drisco, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Dear Guest,

Oh my, talk about setting the bar really high! We stand ready to welcome you as permanent guests if you wish!

Portland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

One needs to understand the Hotel Drisco proposition. This is an older building on a street corner, on the top of a hill in an up market area.

We extended our planned three night stay to enjoy the following:

* a calm and peaceful atmosphere in a mid size boutique hotel
* a pervasive staff culture of engagement, utter helpfulness and cheerful friendliness that runs through all staff categories
* very comfortable rooms and bathrooms
* free street parking - we have seen other reviewers concerned about this - basically parking was very easy to find, with no restrictions on the weekend - for weekdays your car needs to be moved every so often to comply with restrictions - this was a doddle... hand over your keys at the front desk and they will make sure you are legal
* great value for money - $325 per night doesn't seem so much when you don't have to pay $50 a day for parking, when an excellent breakfast is included along with an even more superb complementary 5pm wine and cheese (etc.) reception
* great location close to Filmore St shopping etc - also pleasant for not being inundated by street people as so much of SF appears to be

A hotel that we utterly recommend and that we will be delighted to return to when we next visit California

Stayed February 2014
Dear Guest,

I couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks so much for your wonderful review.

Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

We celebrated a birthday and Valentine's Day at the Drisco. The elegance, location and superior staff made our trip to California among the best stateside vacations we've had. Opt for a 2 room suite if possible...especially if you are celebrating an occasion. Concierge Bob arranged most of our trip via email and phone well before our arrival. He and Marti were wonderfully helpful during our stay. Staff is well trained and professional. Delicious breakfasts and afternoon wine receptions add much to your stay. Order the Birthday Cake/champagne package...or the Romance package...or both. Request city guide, Gary, for a wonderful personalized tour of San Francisco.

Room Tip: Get a 2 room suite if possible. Ours had a city view, was very quiet, and spacious.
Dear Guest,

I'm pleased to hear that we were the perfect choice for you! I will be sure to pass along your kind comments to Bob and Marti.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

I treasure the service and care that comes with a stay at the Drisco, a hotel that truly caters to those who value old world style, quality and attentive service. The Drisco is a promise fulfilled as a luxury boutique hotel.

The rooms are immaculate, duvets and pillows that meet my comfort needs were there for the asking and what I prefer is remembered when I return. What could be nicer!

Both their buffet breakfast and late afternoon wine and cheese adds so much to my feeling that as a guest, my 'being there' matters.

I use the hotel's car service to and from the airport and it is a pleasure and well worth the cost to begin my stay in San Francisco in the comfort the hotel provides. Getting 'downtown' or to the Opera House, Symphony Hall or to a host of special exhibitions and Museums takes minutes. I always enjoy what is a relatively easy walk in this City of hills and steep inclines over to Upper Fillmore Street and its unique specialty shops, cafes, and restaurants or to the Presidio and the beauty that defines San Francisco Bay. All this makes my being at the Drisco and in this lovely, residential part of San Francisco something I return to as often as possible.

What is most important is I feel 'at home' in this gracious hotel and the sense of welcome that is always there for me. This sense of welcome comes from the staff at the Reception Desk, the center and core of the Drisco where warmth, care and kindness best describes each member of the staff's thoughtful attention to detail.

I find the Drisco to be the 'American Cousin' to what we value in old world charm and standards maintained in the very best European hotels where ambience and regard for each guest illustrates the highest standards in service.

Recommended without hesitation.

miriam summ

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dear Ms. Summ,

We think of you as one of us! We look forward to welcoming you home again soon.

Silicon Valley, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

I felt a bit mislead by all the great reviews about the Hotel Drisco. On the upside, the hotel provides absolutely top-notch service that mirrors the posh neighborhood in which it sits. But for me, that did not make up for the facility, which appears to have been an old boarding house. My room was musty, and they kept a large fan on the floor, running 24x7 to keep the air circulating. There was a one inch high gap at the bottom of the door, so there is no sound privacy - not good for a romantic night. But it seemed that most of the guests were very old, so maybe people don't go there to carouse. The bathroom decor was stark, and the plumbing was so old, I could only take a luke warm shower. Worst of all was that I did not realize that street parking meant exactly that - you have to park your car in the neighborhood and then keep moving it!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am very sorry that you felt misled by the other reviews you've seen here on Trip Advisor and that you were disappointed by our facilities. You are correct that most of our guests do not come to the Drisco to "carouse," and that's the way we like it! Most of our guests come to the Drisco to relax and unwind.

The Drisco is an older building (built in 1903) and as such we share what I believe is a lovely combination of old-world charm (mahogany columns, wainscoting, cast iron radiators) and modern conveniences (blazing fast WiFi, the latest LCD TVs and Blue-Ray players, Nespresso machines). But that also means that there are gaps under some doors because the building has settled a bit over the past 100 years. I am a bit perplexed by the fan that was running 24/7 -- perhaps we had just steam-cleaned a carpet. We do work very hard to maintain the facility and keep it spotlessly clean.

I'm not sure how you came to stay at the Drisco, but it sounds like it just wasn't a good fit. And for that I sincerely apologize. As I frequently say, the Drisco is not for everyone and I think that's not only just fine but really quite wonderful. San Francisco has hotels to suit all tastes and budgets, and I do hope you find the hotel that best suites to your tastes when you visit again. I'm sorry we couldn't be that hotel for you, but I understand.

Thanks very much for posting your review.

John Spear

P.S. Yes, our guests who drive do park on the street in our upscale neighborhood. Our Bell Staff is available 24/7 to retain your keys and move your car for you if required.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

This hotel has an extremely attentive staff, comfortable rooms, magnificent views of the city and water all combining for a nearly perfect stay in SFO. The neighborhood is fantastic and very close to the Persidio. The front desk is quick to call cabs and getting around was not a problem. The breakfast is a good way to start the morning. There is not a restaurant in the hotel but the area is full of places to eat or grab a drink. Great place to stay. Highly recommend it if you are not looking for a downtown hotel.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your very nice review. And you're correct that we don't have a restaurant, but we do now offer Room Service 24 hours a day!

John Spear

Been to Hotel Drisco? Share your experiences!