“A Perfect Choice” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Georgia
“A Perfect Choice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

We celebrated a birthday and Valentine's Day at the Drisco. The elegance, location and superior staff made our trip to California among the best stateside vacations we've had. Opt for a 2 room suite if possible...especially if you are celebrating an occasion. Concierge Bob arranged most of our trip via email and phone well before our arrival. He and Marti were wonderfully helpful during our stay. Staff is well trained and professional. Delicious breakfasts and afternoon wine receptions add much to your stay. Order the Birthday Cake/champagne package...or the Romance package...or both. Request city guide, Gary, for a wonderful personalized tour of San Francisco.

Room Tip: Get a 2 room suite if possible. Ours had a city view, was very quiet, and spacious.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
DriscoManager, General Manager at Hotel Drisco, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Dear Guest,

I'm pleased to hear that we were the perfect choice for you! I will be sure to pass along your kind comments to Bob and Marti.

John Spear

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

I treasure the service and care that comes with a stay at the Drisco, a hotel that truly caters to those who value old world style, quality and attentive service. The Drisco is a promise fulfilled as a luxury boutique hotel.

The rooms are immaculate, duvets and pillows that meet my comfort needs were there for the asking and what I prefer is remembered when I return. What could be nicer!

Both their buffet breakfast and late afternoon wine and cheese adds so much to my feeling that as a guest, my 'being there' matters.

I use the hotel's car service to and from the airport and it is a pleasure and well worth the cost to begin my stay in San Francisco in the comfort the hotel provides. Getting 'downtown' or to the Opera House, Symphony Hall or to a host of special exhibitions and Museums takes minutes. I always enjoy what is a relatively easy walk in this City of hills and steep inclines over to Upper Fillmore Street and its unique specialty shops, cafes, and restaurants or to the Presidio and the beauty that defines San Francisco Bay. All this makes my being at the Drisco and in this lovely, residential part of San Francisco something I return to as often as possible.

What is most important is I feel 'at home' in this gracious hotel and the sense of welcome that is always there for me. This sense of welcome comes from the staff at the Reception Desk, the center and core of the Drisco where warmth, care and kindness best describes each member of the staff's thoughtful attention to detail.

I find the Drisco to be the 'American Cousin' to what we value in old world charm and standards maintained in the very best European hotels where ambience and regard for each guest illustrates the highest standards in service.

Recommended without hesitation.

miriam summ

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dear Ms. Summ,

We think of you as one of us! We look forward to welcoming you home again soon.

Silicon Valley, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

I felt a bit mislead by all the great reviews about the Hotel Drisco. On the upside, the hotel provides absolutely top-notch service that mirrors the posh neighborhood in which it sits. But for me, that did not make up for the facility, which appears to have been an old boarding house. My room was musty, and they kept a large fan on the floor, running 24x7 to keep the air circulating. There was a one inch high gap at the bottom of the door, so there is no sound privacy - not good for a romantic night. But it seemed that most of the guests were very old, so maybe people don't go there to carouse. The bathroom decor was stark, and the plumbing was so old, I could only take a luke warm shower. Worst of all was that I did not realize that street parking meant exactly that - you have to park your car in the neighborhood and then keep moving it!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am very sorry that you felt misled by the other reviews you've seen here on Trip Advisor and that you were disappointed by our facilities. You are correct that most of our guests do not come to the Drisco to "carouse," and that's the way we like it! Most of our guests come to the Drisco to relax and unwind.

The Drisco is an older building (built in 1903) and as such we share what I believe is a lovely combination of old-world charm (mahogany columns, wainscoting, cast iron radiators) and modern conveniences (blazing fast WiFi, the latest LCD TVs and Blue-Ray players, Nespresso machines). But that also means that there are gaps under some doors because the building has settled a bit over the past 100 years. I am a bit perplexed by the fan that was running 24/7 -- perhaps we had just steam-cleaned a carpet. We do work very hard to maintain the facility and keep it spotlessly clean.

I'm not sure how you came to stay at the Drisco, but it sounds like it just wasn't a good fit. And for that I sincerely apologize. As I frequently say, the Drisco is not for everyone and I think that's not only just fine but really quite wonderful. San Francisco has hotels to suit all tastes and budgets, and I do hope you find the hotel that best suites to your tastes when you visit again. I'm sorry we couldn't be that hotel for you, but I understand.

Thanks very much for posting your review.

John Spear

P.S. Yes, our guests who drive do park on the street in our upscale neighborhood. Our Bell Staff is available 24/7 to retain your keys and move your car for you if required.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

This hotel has an extremely attentive staff, comfortable rooms, magnificent views of the city and water all combining for a nearly perfect stay in SFO. The neighborhood is fantastic and very close to the Persidio. The front desk is quick to call cabs and getting around was not a problem. The breakfast is a good way to start the morning. There is not a restaurant in the hotel but the area is full of places to eat or grab a drink. Great place to stay. Highly recommend it if you are not looking for a downtown hotel.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your very nice review. And you're correct that we don't have a restaurant, but we do now offer Room Service 24 hours a day!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

After extensive research, I chose Hotel Drisco for the location and for the authentic San Francisco experience it offers. The neighborhood is a wonderfully quite alternative to the busy tourist areas. Hotel Drisco will not disappoint. Our Deluxe Queen room was clean and spacious. We came back to the hotel each night to find a daily weather report card and a yummy chocolate biscuit cookie. The complimentary breakfast is served in a sophisticated dining room with daily selections of classical and jazz music. The experience at this hotel is worth every penny!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I am so pleased that your extensive research led you to the Drisco and that you enjoyed your experience. We take great pride in offering our guests a real sense of place when they stay with us -- a little slice of authentic, old world San Francisco charm.

Thanks very much for your review.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

This was our first stay at the Drisco...and will be our last stay at any other hotel in the city...,the Drisco is an old world charm surprise in this "high rent" neighborhood...unique, quiet luxury and friendly service...fabulous breakfasts and warm and friendly staff...we had a lovely suite which was worth the extra money..and we will definitely be back for all further trips..

Room Tip: I think they are all lovely, but if you can, spring for a two room suite..spacious and as an added p...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and your room tip -- our two bedroom suites really are spectacular!

General manager
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

From our early morning check in, the staff at the Drisco couldn't have been more helpful. We stayed 5 nights early February. Our room was very comfortable, breakfast was lovely, with plenty of variety and the evening wine reception was a very welcome treat when we were back in time to enjoy it. We walked down to Fillmore street most nights for dinner, where there are plenty of cafes, bars, restaurants to choose from.

We had a hire car on the last 2 nights of our stay so we could explore Marin County & further north and parking over the weekend wasn't an issue. The hotel was probably further out than I had originally expected, not a big issue if you have transport, but we wanted to explore by foot as much as we could.

I would happily stay here again.

Dear Guest,

I'm so pleased that you had a nice experience with us. Many of our guests choose us specifically for our location in the upscale Pacific Heights residential neighborhood. San Francisco is a pretty compact city as urban areas go (7 miles by 7 miles), so we are removed from the hustle and bustle, but still a just short drive or taxi ride away from all that San Francisco has to offer. That said, those that really like to be in the center of the action may find one of the other top-rated hotels in the Union Square area to be more to their liking.

Thanks for your review!

John Spear

Been to Hotel Drisco? Share your experiences!