“Blown away!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Blown away!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Amazing... Very great! My only disappointment was we only had time to stay one night. Service is personal and welcoming. They gave my son a teddy bear when the brought the crib. The room service was delicious and affordable! I could say a million great things about this place but you'll just have to find out for yourself.

Stayed December 2013
DriscoManager, General Manager at Hotel Drisco, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review. Next time I look forward to welcoming you back for more than one night!

1,010 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Washington, D.C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

We stayed two very pleasant nights at the Hotel Drisco this spring and it did not disappoint. Its location in the historic, upscale residential area of Pacific Heights is unique and special, away from the hub-bub, which is not to everyone's taste. Indeed, a car is a necessity to fully explore what the city has to offer. A five minute walk in a flat topography is at least triple that in hilly S.F. But for a quiet, relaxing environment in a very well run hotel, this place is hard to beat. Among the highlights; the evening wine tastings, the morning breakfast, helpful staff and the charm of an old hotel that has remained independent from a large chain.

We were in a smaller room that apparently accounts for the fact there was only one chair and limited space. Larger accommodations in the hotel would have been better for us. Maybe next time. I felt the accommodations, while clean, were a little dated, particularly the bathroom.
The view from our room was only so-so.

All in all, it was a very nice stay and quite enjoyable.

Room Tip: Most expensive rooms should be booked for the best views and space.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thanks so much for your thoughtful review. I appreciate your mentioning the size of your room and the view, because we do have a wide variety of accommodations. For your next stay with us I would encourage you to consider our City View Deluxe King for a great view of San Francisco, or one of our suites for considerably more space as well. Please feel free to ask my staff about the attributes of our different types of rooms, or call me directly -- I love speaking to my guests!

415-346-2880
Santa Barbara, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

This is a small boutique hotel, so there may be no swimming pool, exercise center or other high end big hotel features, but if you have been going to Europe for the last 30 years on vacations and like a more intimate and personal ambiance in a residential area with everything impeccable and very well presented, than this is a very good choice. We were given an upgrade to a 'City Suite' and I would request and pay the slight upcharge for this as it is well worth it. Spacious, quiet, comfortable and well appointed room (even includes a Nespresso machine with half/half in the frig).

We had friends stopping by prior to our dinner reservations nearby (at Spruce) and the staff said they were also welcomed for the 'Happy Hour" where fine wines and hors d'ourves were being served. Nice touch, very much appreciated. There is also another set of smaller parlor rooms near the lobby where one may meet and greet friends or business associates. Like being in your own SF Pacific Heights home.

The breakfast service is included and was outstanding. Reminiscent of many finer European hotels with a large choice of breakfast items and they happily brought us 2 well prepared cappuccinos. We didn't use room service, but it is offered 24/7 and includes light food entrees. Impressive, for a hotel this size. Only caveat, the parking is on the street if you arrive in your own car. The staff was very helpful in managing the car movement according to the 3 hour parking limit and once/week street cleaning.

There is no question our next visit to San Francisco will include a few nights stay again at this Hotel. Reserve early as it has become well known.

Room Tip: Suggest a City Suite for the extra space.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review. I agree with you that perhaps the best way to communicate the mis-en-scene of the Drisco is to describe us as a small boutique hotel with a European feeling, but even that doesn't convey the complete experience, as we are very proud to offer a suite of extra touches that I can say with confidence no other hotel in the world offers. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us!

John Spear

P.S. For those wishing to make use of extensive fitness facilities, including a pool, we offer complimentary access to a fitness facility nearby in the Presidio National Park.
Baguio, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

Before I wrote my review, I read some of the few "terrible" rated reviews from other guests. TripAdvisor guidelines prevent me from commenting directly on their complaints, so I will just say that it's clear that you can never please everyone.

Rather I will focus on my stay. I had an appointment nearby and decided to spend the night rather than fight the commute home at 5 PM. What a great decision that was!! Parking is tight despite claims of ample street parking. However, I simply left my keys with the staff and they handled the parking situation.

The room was very nicely appointed, with so many little extras that I cannot list them all. VERY comfortable king bed, high end beddings, pillows and linens. Two flatscreen TVs, a refrigerator with 6 complimentary bottles of spring water, high end toiletries, even some Lysol Air Freshener.

They have a happy-hour between 5-6:30 PM where they serve a variety of select wines, beer, fruit juice, cheese, nuts, cold cut salami, bread, brie, and dates. Also sported some hot mini meatballs. The wines I tried were very good.

Everything about the hotel exceeded expectations. I did not take advantage of the continental breakfast, but my wife enjoyed the coffee and pastries.

To the extent that you can, trust me when I say that this hotel thinks of everything!! Read the negative reviews; if for no other reason than to be amused after you contrast them with your own experience. I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review! I am delighted to learn that we are one of the best hotels you have ever experienced. And despite the futility of the effort to please absolutely everyone, we never stop trying!

Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

Fantastic hotel, great amenities and a wonderful view. We stayed here for our honeymoon and had a fantastic room overlooking the entire city away from the water up to the mountains. Absolutely stunning area with some great short walks (all uphill it seems) with fantastic mansions and parks very close by. Not close to Union or the Wharf however free limo to the area in the morning can be arranged. The wine reception should not be missed, had great food and a great tasting of wines with a very helpful sommelier who knew her stuff. The staff from check in to check out was great with our bags/reservations/recommendations of spots to see and overall great hospitality. Highly recommend for those who want to unwind after seeing the busy side of the city.

Room Tip: City view is fantastic from upper floors as it is on top of the hill.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

To paraphrase the old joke, everything around the Drisco is an uphill walk. Both ways. :-)

Actually, as we are perched at the very top of the highest hill in Pacific Heights, everything is a downhill walk from the Drisco. It's getting back up later that will test your mettle. In fact many of our guests take a lovely downhill stroll to their restaurant of choice in the evening and either burn off their dessert walking back or hop in a taxi for the quick ride back up the hill.

Thank you for your review!

Big Sky, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Great Location
Great Rooms
Great Amenities
best of all
Great Staff!
Views to the Bay from several rooms. Fantastic breakfast in the morning...best latte in SF!!!
Complimentary wine and cheese in the afternoon gives the guests a chance to meet and mingle.
Staff is friendly and gracious. They make you feel like your staying in a home.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Thanks.
:-)

coconut grove
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

I stay here and recommend this hotel to anyone going to San Francisco. The quiet neighborhood, the setting, the service, the cleanliness all add up to an excellent stay. I have been to more luxurious hotels but never to one with more pleasant service. We literally needed help with our TV and heating system and they came to our room with a smile over and over and over. I asked for a glass of wine and it was in my room before I was. Hard to understand how they can be so efficient. The breakfasts are excellent. I never made it to the wine receptions in the afternoon but understand they're great too.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thanks so much for recommending us! I am so pleased that you are sharing your great Drisco experience with others.

John Spear

Been to Hotel Drisco? Share your experiences!