“Outstanding stay, fantastic service, wonderful little hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Free breakfast!
Ranked #1 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
London, England
“Outstanding stay, fantastic service, wonderful little hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed at the Drisco for 3 nights. The first was after a delayed 10 hour flight, arriving at the hotel to a very friendly and helpful front desk while our equivalent time was 4am!! Room service was lovely that night and we awoke to a gorgeous and well serviced breakfast spread. The room itself was excellent and the bed fantastic. Services include an extensive DVD library and a range of local restaurants that deliver to your room!!! Location wise we found it perfect, a quiet neighbourhood with excellent access to everything you'd want to see. The only slight down I would give would be the claimed 'free parking'. It's just parking on the local streets. That said though, the staff will move your car for you to avoid tickets which is great.

Overall a lovely stay made all the better by the front desk staff and the multiple little extra services offered. Book it, it's a little gem.

• Stayed July 2013
DriscoManager, General Manager at Hotel Drisco, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

I agree with you that the Drisco is a little gem! No surprise there, I'm sure. We do work very diligently to make the complimentary street parking in our neighborhood as hassle-free as possible, and I'm very glad you found it to be so!

Thanks for taking the time to post a review!

1,020 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Taupo, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Having read some reviews we were expecting this hotel to be a bit tired, but in actual fact we were very pleasantly surprised. We would describe the Drisco as an elegant lady. It has old world charm, is spotlessly clean, and has staff who are genuinely keen to please and clearly want to provide excellent service. There are lots of complementary extras that you receive when you stay here including wine tasting each evening. the whole experience was very positive.

The Drisco is located in Pacific Heights, a wealthy neighbourhood, with beautiful buildings. As the name suggests, it is high up and we walked up and down many hills and steps during our stay there. For us, this was not an issue. We love walking and you pass some stunning real estate that you would not see if you stay in the tourist areas like Union Square. The Hotel does provide a complementary transfer service each morning into the 'city', and we made use of this a couple of times during our stay.

If you want to be in the centre of the hustle and bustle then this hotel is probably not for you. For us, it's location was perfect - quiet area, beautiful views, and away from the noise and seedier side of downtown SF.

We can't thank the staff at the Drisco enough. We really did enjoy our stay and would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
DriscoManager, General Manager at Hotel Drisco, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

I must agree with you that to describe the Drisco as an "elegant lady" is an apt description, in fact that is how my owner often refers to the hotel. We certainly do our best to keep her youthful and vibrant! I'm so glad you enjoyed our many complimentary extras and the service from my staff. We love our work here, and there's nothing we enjoy more than making every guest's experience one to remember.

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

After staying in Forestville, we weren't quite sure that we could handle the hustle and bustle of a city, to have to return home to one, but the Hotel Drisco made all the difference. Truly a beautiful hotel, perched perfectly on a corner in the stunning Pacific Heights neighborhood. Since it was our wedding anniversary they gave us a complimentary upgrade for our room, which I thought was impressive, considering the rooms are rather costly. When we checked in their was a basket of fruit and a bottle of champagne. Just lovely!
The main concern for most travelers is the parking, which was my worry too, but we were there at the end of the week into the weekend (so less street parking restrictions) and found a spot quite easily, if not the valet is happy to help. Since it's San Fran most people recommend you don't rent a car, but I'm not a fan of public transportation when I'm on vacation, so despite the challenge of driving down and up some steep hills, it worked out perfectly.
It's a more residential area which I really loved. They offer a nice simple complimentary breakfast in the mornings and a wine and cheese reception at night.
This hotel is truly first class, the staff is amazing and I would definitely return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Happy Anniversary! I am so pleased that you included the Drisco as part of your special trip to San Francisco. Car or no car, we won't steer you wrong with parking, directions or activity suggestions!

Thanks so much for taking the time to post your review. I would be honored to welcome you back at the same time next year -- we'll keep some champagne on ice for you!

Richmond,VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Staying at the Drisco is truly a must to experience San Francisco. Located in the Pacific Heights neighborhood this small intimate 48 room hotel offers all of the warmth, charm and amenities of a first class European hotel. The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. The rooms are appointed beautifully with all of the wonderful amenities one would expect. Every morning a newspaper is deliverd to your room. Included with your stay is a fantastic continental breakfast and an afternoon wine reception. It doesn't get much better than this. We loved staying here and look forward to future stays.

Room Tip: Discuss with desk when making reservations
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I spent much of my youth traveling through Europe and I was always consistently fascinated by the different little extra touches I would see in hotel rooms in different countries. My goal with the Drisco has been to incorporate the most interesting, creative and practical comforts and amenities here that I have seen in my travels. I'm so glad you appreciated our unique little touches!

Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

This hotel is one of my favorites. The service is like no other. The staff was so amazing and polite. I like the location of not being around all the crowds at Fisherman's Wharf. If you are looking for a small luxurious hotel with exceptional service look no further this is the place for you.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Your key is ready for you at the front desk. Just let me know your move-in date and I will take care of the rest!

So glad you enjoyed your stay...

John
Noumea, New Caledonia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 7 nights and and we had a really good time;the service was excellent
from every one of the staff:reception,valet,housekeeping...the breakfast buffet was great and a very nice start for your day.The wine tasting in the evening was a perfect time to enjoy Californian wines and meet other customers.
The location is excellent,very quiet neighbourhood,walking distance from restaurants,shops and not far from the city center.
It is the perfect place to relax when you come back after a long day visiting the city.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thanks so much for spending a week with us!

I love the hustle and bustle of San Francisco, but I quite agree that having a relaxing little sanctuary in a quiet neighborhood to come home to at the end of every day is essential to enjoying San Francisco to its fullest!

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We spent four nights at the Drisco. It was perfect! My husband and I and a friend stayed in room 203. (Bedroom plus living room). The service was impeccable, the room charming, the 17:00 to 18:30 wine and cheese is fabulous (and included in the price of the room). Continental breakfast is nice with espresso and cappuccino on demand. We absolutely adored the area of Pacific Heights. I would recommend it if you have a car.

Room Tip: We had a view of a beautiful house but not of the city. Perhaps a higher floor room may give you thi...
Green Features: Hotel is sensitive to the environment and suggests ways to reduce footprint. The waste paper basket is divided in two one side for recycling.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely review. While I would never categorize my hotel as "perfect" I am certainly extremely pleased that you found it to be so! My staff and I are all very proud of the rooms, amenities and service that we are able to offer our guests, but we always keep an eye towards the future and all the wonderful new little touches that we will be adding next!

Thank you also for your room tip. If a view of San Francisco is important to you, be sure to book a room type with the words "City View," such as "City View Suite" or "City View Deluxe King."

And lastly, if you don't have a car, we are very close to public transportation. Even though San Francisco can't lay claim to the breadth of the London Tube or the charm of the Paris Metro, our cobbled-together system of public transportation does usually succeed in getting folks from place to place pretty well. [Disclaimer: The San Francisco Convention & Visitors Bureau did not approve the wording I used in this last paragraph in my review reply :-)]

John Spear

Been to Hotel Drisco? Share your experiences!