“Delightful...” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Vientiane
“Delightful...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

The other reviews sum up much about this small hotel. Great rooms and service, and a wonderful location, if you are prepared to be out of the downtown area, and to pay what are pretty expensive room rates. We had a one bedroom suite that was spacious, well appointed and with great views out over the streetscape and beyond. The staff were friendly, courteous and highly professional.

Our only (tiny) complaint was that the bath faucet was faulty (although this may well have been an operator issue!) and the hot water wasn't really, well, that hot!

All in all, a great San Francisco experience...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
DriscoManager, General Manager at Hotel Drisco, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

I'm very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please feel free to contact me personally regarding the bath faucet and hot water -- I have a maintenance staff that takes great pride in making sure everything works perfectly!

John Spear

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Korean first
Seattle, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

This hotel is absolutely fantastic. The staff, building, and service are incredible and you feel like you're living in one of the Pacific Heights mansions that surround you. I used to live in San Francisco in the same neighborhood, and it always feels like coming home to me in every way.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your great review. I hope we can welcome you back "hone" very soon.

East coast, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

My wife and I just spent a week in San Francisco. Because this was a break for us, I spent a lot of time researching hotels. My wife and I have been to San Francisco many times (for business and pleasure) and stayed in many of the best hotels; but I was curious to read the current "reviews" of hotels in the city. I was surprised to see the Hotel Drisco consistently rated so highly because we had never heard of it. We decided to give it a try, in part because it is a small, boutique hotel in beautiful Pacific Heights. We could not have made a better decision. The Hotel Drisco is as good a hotel as we have ever stayed in and better than most. The service is impeccable. The staff is spectacularly good -- friendly, thoughtful, knowledgeable and helpful. And they are at you call on a moment's notice.The buffet breakfast is terriffic, as is the complimentary wine serving every afternoon. We stayed in a City View Suite overlooking much of San Francisco. The rooms were large and clean, beautifully decorated, with large flat-screen televisions, many comfortable chairs and a couch, plenty of hot water, and bottled water delivered to the room each day. The hotel has a library of DVD movies from which you can borrow at no cost. The hotel has a limo service to pick you up from and take you back to the airport. They also arranged to have our car rental delivered to the hotel, and then members of the staff moved the car during the day so that we would not get a ticket for exceeding the three-hour parking limit. (There is plenty on on-street parking, but there are 3-hour limits during the day.) Pacific Heights is a gorgeous area and it is an easy drive to some of the best restaurants in the city (Gary Danko, Jardiniere, La Folie, to name a few that we tried). It is also an easy drive from the hotel to the Golden Gate Bridge heading north to the wine country. There is a small workout room that is always available. I could go on and on. The place is perfect, unless you prefer a big, noisey hotel. Our week in San Francisco at the Hotel Drisco was easily one of the best vacations we have every had, and we have had more than our share. I recommend this hotel without the slightest hesitation. It really is terrific.

Room Tip: We stayed in the City View Suite - 305A, I think. Great space and great view of the City.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

It was an honor to host you for your week-long stay. I'm so glad that you found the Drisco to be the ideal base for all your excursions. And you are quite right -- if one is looking for a big, noisy hotel, one should look elsewhere! I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

John
billericay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

This was a wonderful hotel - gorgeous location - staff that were friendly and attentive. Such attention to detail. Wonderful chocolate shortbreads given during evening turn down service. Huge range of toiletries in the bathroom, stunning quality decor. The ambience was relaxed but classy. We have stayed in some of the best hotels and I have to say this matched up to all of them. If you stay I guarantee you won't be disappointed. We even received a complimentary bottle of sparkling wine waiting for us when we arrived in our room. Bed was comfy and the room had nice robes and good honesty bar selection. Really was amazed - everything was catered for. You'll miss out if you don't stay here truly.

Room Tip: I should imagine they are all of the high calibre as everything was kept so well presented.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

What a wonderful review -- thank you. We endeavor to provide absolutely everything our guests expect from a luxury hotel experience, plus a bit more. I'm very pleased that you noticed and appreciated all our little extra touches.

Laytonsville, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

WHile looking for a place to stay for 5 days while our son was playing some spring break lacrosse games in the San Francisco area I happened upon Hotel Drisco on the site. After reading the reviews I booked a 4 night stay. First the views from Pacific Heights are spectacular. Second, and more importantly the front desk staff of Jon, Bob and Marti were wonderful from start to finish. Jon and Bob was very responsive in booking several restaurant reservations before we arrived. The parking situation was concerning to my wife and I but it could not have been easier. FInd a spot in the neighborhood or leave your keys with the front desk and they will take care of moving the car to avoid any parking tickets. Its location made it an easy trip over the GOlden Gate or down to the Wharf. Close walking distance to Union street was perfect for some casual dining and great shopping. The breakfast buffet was perfect to start the day. 24 coffee and tea service was a definite plus. WHen we go back to San Francisco we know where we are going to stay. Thanks to all at the Hotel Drisco for making a few days away something we will remember fro quite some time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay. I will be sure to thank Jon, Bob and Marti for their part in contributing to your experience with us. Thank you for your review!

Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Stayed in June 2011 for five nights as part of a trip around California.

The good-

Lovely, helpful staff. Very, very nice folk. Helped with reservations for shows, recommendations for getting around town. They even had an 'arrangement' with the parking attendants and if you leave your car keys, they will move it around to ensure you're not ticketed'

Great area. Pacific avenue- enough said

Great breakfast, albeit continental. The manager was there on a daily basis and ensured things ran smoothly, even serving on quite a few occasions himself.

The bad-

The rooms were rather small. For the price, you expect a bit better

Sequel to above, the walls were thin and it was impossible to get any rest beyond seven o'clock once other guests were up and showering. To compound things, there was ongoing construction work right outside our door. They started without fail every morning, and it was impossible to just decide to have a day indoors. We asked for a change but this never materialised.

Would I stay again? Probably not..

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
DriscoManager, General Manager at Hotel Drisco, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the noise disturbances you experienced on your recent stay with us, and I would like to learn more about your situation to see if there's any way we can encourage you to return to the Drisco in the future. If you would be so kind as to reach out to me personally, I would sure appreciate it.

Earth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

The charming and elegant (English style) hotel was such a pleasant surprise. The neighbourhood is remarkably and wonderfully quiet. It doesn't feel as though you are in a big city, and yet a short cab ride takes you to the hustle of Union Square. The staff were friendly and helpful. The bedroom and bathroom were implicitly clean. The comfort of the bed gets an unequivocal 5 Stars too.
I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am very pleased that you appreciated our quiet location in the upscale Pacific Heights neighborhood. I think it's the ideal balance for an urban hotel -- a stone's throw away from all the action when that's what you're looking for, yet a peaceful oasis to return home to every evening.

Thank you for your lovely review!

John Spear

Been to Hotel Drisco? Share your experiences!