“No better place to stay in San Francisco” 5 of 5 stars

Free breakfast!
Ranked #1 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Laytonsville, Maryland, United States
“No better place to stay in San Francisco”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

WHile looking for a place to stay for 5 days while our son was playing some spring break lacrosse games in the San Francisco area I happened upon Hotel Drisco on the site. After reading the reviews I booked a 4 night stay. First the views from Pacific Heights are spectacular. Second, and more importantly the front desk staff of Jon, Bob and Marti were wonderful from start to finish. Jon and Bob was very responsive in booking several restaurant reservations before we arrived. The parking situation was concerning to my wife and I but it could not have been easier. FInd a spot in the neighborhood or leave your keys with the front desk and they will take care of moving the car to avoid any parking tickets. Its location made it an easy trip over the GOlden Gate or down to the Wharf. Close walking distance to Union street was perfect for some casual dining and great shopping. The breakfast buffet was perfect to start the day. 24 coffee and tea service was a definite plus. WHen we go back to San Francisco we know where we are going to stay. Thanks to all at the Hotel Drisco for making a few days away something we will remember fro quite some time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
DriscoManager, General Manager at Hotel Drisco, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay. I will be sure to thank Jon, Bob and Marti for their part in contributing to your experience with us. Thank you for your review!

1,017 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Stayed in June 2011 for five nights as part of a trip around California.

The good-

Lovely, helpful staff. Very, very nice folk. Helped with reservations for shows, recommendations for getting around town. They even had an 'arrangement' with the parking attendants and if you leave your car keys, they will move it around to ensure you're not ticketed'

Great area. Pacific avenue- enough said

Great breakfast, albeit continental. The manager was there on a daily basis and ensured things ran smoothly, even serving on quite a few occasions himself.

The bad-

The rooms were rather small. For the price, you expect a bit better

Sequel to above, the walls were thin and it was impossible to get any rest beyond seven o'clock once other guests were up and showering. To compound things, there was ongoing construction work right outside our door. They started without fail every morning, and it was impossible to just decide to have a day indoors. We asked for a change but this never materialised.

Would I stay again? Probably not..

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
DriscoManager, General Manager at Hotel Drisco, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the noise disturbances you experienced on your recent stay with us, and I would like to learn more about your situation to see if there's any way we can encourage you to return to the Drisco in the future. If you would be so kind as to reach out to me personally, I would sure appreciate it.

Earth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

The charming and elegant (English style) hotel was such a pleasant surprise. The neighbourhood is remarkably and wonderfully quiet. It doesn't feel as though you are in a big city, and yet a short cab ride takes you to the hustle of Union Square. The staff were friendly and helpful. The bedroom and bathroom were implicitly clean. The comfort of the bed gets an unequivocal 5 Stars too.
I highly recommend this hotel.

Dear Guest,

I am very pleased that you appreciated our quiet location in the upscale Pacific Heights neighborhood. I think it's the ideal balance for an urban hotel -- a stone's throw away from all the action when that's what you're looking for, yet a peaceful oasis to return home to every evening.

Thank you for your lovely review!

Pasadena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We've been staying at this hotel for over 20 years, both for business and pleasure. The most recent trip was my hubby and I just taking a quick weekend escape. The current ownership is BY FAR the absolute best of the best. They took a wonderful hotel and made it truly outstanding. The staff here are exceptionally nice, and not in an 'overly trained' sort of way. The rooms are comfortable, upscale, and clean. The location is to die for if you enjoy a respite from the city noise. We love that the hotel is right next to the Presidio- we did lots of walking and shopping on this trip. (Union Street, Chestnut Street, Filmore) Just strolling around in this upscale residential neighborhood (of mansions) is awe inspiring. This was without a doubt our best experience at the hotel so far. Sara at the front desk was exceptionally wonderful with lots of tips of where to go, what to eat, etc. Our last trip to SF we stayed at the Mandarin Oriental. We totally regretted it...we were being nickled and dimed, and felt nothing but resentment! The Drisco has free street parking, free coffee/tea, a wonderful included breakfast buffet, free bottled water in your room, and so many little 'extras' you feel like a VIP no matter who you are.

Room Tip: The Back side of the hotel has great city views.
Dear Guest,

Thanks so much for your loyalty to the Drisco over the years. What a wonderful acknowledgement it is to have your perspective on all of the hard work my staff and I have been engaged in these past few years to -- as you say quite aptly -- take a wonderful hotel and make it truly outstanding. We are all very proud, and very thankful to have your feedback.

I post all of our Trip Advisor reviews in the staff lounge for all employees to see. They are very engaged in all of the feedback we receive from guests -- both praise and the occasional criticism. So thank you again for taking the time to let us know your thoughts!

San Clemente CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Situated among some of The City's most lovely homes, high atop a hill in Pacific Heights, the intimate Hotel Drisco is a luxury hotel that exemplifies old San Francisco elegance. Stellar service begins before you even arrive on sight - in anticipation of your stay, a call is placed by the desk to answer any questions you may have and address concerns or special needs. Staff greet you on the steps and throughout your day, from the expansive breakfast to the elegant evening wine reception and turn down, service never wavers. Rooms are thoughtfully appointed - including an umbrella and flashlight - quiet, clean, and elegant without being fussy. General Manager John Spear is unobtrusively omnipresent, orchestrating every detail with style and grace. I look forward to my next visit to Hotel Drisco, my most gracious home away from home in San Francisco.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your incredibly kind review. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

As a former San Francisco Resident (of 15 years), and a frequent visitor to the City, I finally
chose Drisco Hotel over all other usual options (Embarcardero, Downtown/Union Square, etc) and it was purely the BEST experience I have had staying in the City. By far, beats all the usual big hotels.

I highly recommend Drisco Hotel for the following reasons:

1. Location - amazing views, fabulous neighborhood, close proximity to the GG Bridge, GG Park,
Best shopping Streets (Union, Fillmore, Sacramento, Chesnut).

2. Property - understated elegance, beautiful Victorian building, lovely rooms, well appointed.

3. Staff & Amenities - kindness from the moment you walk in the door and consistent throughout the stay, had complimentary bicycles, workout room (which you don't need if you walk the neighborhood!), wonderful breakfast each day, complimentary wine (great wine), cheese in the evenings. Perfect directions to anywhere I needed to go right down the the exact parking garages needed.

Drisco stands apart because it is authentically San Francisco and I think everyone should experience this. You will live like a local during your stay.

Room Tip: Request a suite or a city view room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
san juan capistrano,CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

After several years of not going to San Francisco because my son moved I found myself back in this wonderful city because now my daughter decided to move there. Since I had always enjoyed staying at The Drisco I booked a small room for two nights. Everyone of the hotel Staff from the wonderful people at the front desk to the doormen who remembered me when I arrived and the people who are on hand for breakfast and evening wine and cheese made me feel welcomed and very much at home again. It was a great weekend and I look forward to going back soon.

Room Tip: Ask the friendly reception staff!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Drisco? Share your experiences!