“I ADORE this Place” 5 of 5 stars

Los Angeles
“I ADORE this Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I've now stayed at the Hotel Drisco twice:

(1) The night before brain surgery at UCSF.. which was also my 1 year wedding anniversary!
(2) four months later for a successful follow up at UCSF

What could have been a stressful, pre-op night ended up to be a cozy and wonderful one. Friends and family gathered with me in the small private dining area to watch football and eat take-out. Then when I went to my room later, my husband had decorated our suite to the nines with chocolate treats, bouquets, and flower petals everywhere! (ok, just teared up writing that). The incredible staff at the Drisco were beyond accommodating in making sure I was incredibly comfortable, relaxed, and special on such a unique evening.

The second time I went I was simply reminded of what a gem this place is. The adjectives that come to mind are:

-regal
-luxurious
-detail oriented
-incredible views
-charming

Btw- I loved this place and I never even did the complimentary breakfast or wine tasting, which I know is a total hit there. Ultimately, I can't say enough about this San Francisco treasure.

Room Tip: The first room I stayed I had the living room part on the sunny side, and the bedroom part on the da...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
DriscoManager, General Manager at Hotel Drisco, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

I just love your list of adjectives! Thanks so much for choosing us for such an important occasion, and for your lovely review.

John Spear

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Korean first
sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

After all the great reviews of the Drisco we were excited about staying here. first impressions were great, up in the Pacific Heights region, quirky old building and staff... we stayed on the top floor (4th) and had a nice view over the suburbs.

Room (a deluxe) was average size, with large bathroom and closet. All nice and clean.

Our lack of love came by four things - 1 the old fashioned over bath shower - we would leave the thing on for 5 minutes to get much heat at all out of it, so we actually dreaded using the thing! 2 breakfast was a free for all that wasnt replenished much, and so we either didnt eat or had little (and there are NO other options within close walking distance) 3 the car service is very restricted hours of operation so we were not able to use it at all...not a big deal but irritating nonetheless. 4 weekend service at reception we found to be unhelpful and vague....

So would we stay here or advise other people to do so.... its a great location for something different, the service was at times very good... if they could sort out the water issues and revise the breakfasts then maybe... worth a shot as all the other hotels in SF seem so corporate and bland, but dont expect it to be amazing...

On the up side - the hotel already contacted us about our stay, and the issues raised are apparently being fixed...

Room Tip: go for a deluxe room on the upper floor
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
DriscoManager, General Manager at Hotel Drisco, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am very sorry that you were not able to love us as you had hoped! Please accept my sincere apologies. Rest assured that we take to heart absolutely every bit of guest feedback we receive.

Please feel free to contact me personally so that I can get to work on fixing the issues you experienced right away.

John Spear

P.S. Our complimentary chauffeur service operates every weekday morning from 7am to 10am. For service outside of these times it is always available for a small fee.
Los Gatos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Wonderful hotel from beginning to end. Beautiful neighbourhood. Easy parking on the street. A genuinely warm welcome from people who know they're working in a great place. Terrific views of the San Francisco skyline from a quietly luxurious room. Outrageously comfy bed. A breakfast buffet that shows real thought and attention. Seriously good coffee. And a "haste ye back" from someone who I'm pretty sure actually meant it. Our new home in San Francisco.

Dear Guest ,

You've done it. You've captured us in a few words. There's very little I can add other than to say "thank you" and, once again, haste ye back!

Suttons Bay, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We didn't feel like tourists, more like residents of the city. You're not a number at this hotel, this hotel staff treated us like royalty. Pacific Heights is a cut above and the streets around the hotel were so nice to walk around in the morning. Our room was attractive and spacious and very clean. We will stay here again. It was a real San Francisco experience.

Room Tip: we asked for a room that was quiet and got one
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
DriscoManager, General Manager at Hotel Drisco, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks so much for your kind review! We endeavor to make all our guests feel like family. I look forward to welcoming you back home.

Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Staff is very friendly and helpful. Accommodations were clean and roomy. Located in a beautiful part of the city. I chose this hotel because of the good reviews and it's proximity to UCSF Medical Hospital. They serve a beautiful breakfast buffet in the morning with the best coffee anywhere. Every evening for an 1 1/2 hours they have wine, cheese and appetizers. I thought it would be just a "tasting" but they let you help yourself to full glasses of excellent California wines. I wrote them all down to buy later.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I'm very pleased that you enjoyed your experience, particularly the beverages! If you'll pardon the immodesty, we do indeed serve really excellent coffee. Illy for our espresso and cappuccino and Equator for our brewed coffee. And our sommelier selects a variety excellent California wines each month for our complimentary nightly wine reception, many cuts above wine receptions you may have experienced in other hotels.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

This property has the charm and intimacy of a small inn, but services and privacy of a large hotel.
Slightly out of the way location, but with beautiful views on the beautiful streets of Pacific Heights.

Pros: Lovely old building, great character, nice views, large rooms and suites. Not inexpensive but good value. Very good quality breakfast buffet and ambience. Genuinely warm service. Great beds and pillows.

Cons: Slightly out of the way, albeit in a lovely area. Room furnishings and baths not quite 5 star, but entirely pleasant and serviceable.

Room Tip: We were a family of five and chose a 2br 2ba suite. Very reasonable priced and spacious, not easy t...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
DriscoManager, General Manager at Hotel Drisco, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

I think your review of us is spot on in many ways -- thank you! However, you mention as a "con" that we are "out of the way." All I can say is, guilty as charged! We are indeed out of the way, and we also recognize that our location in the heart of San Francisco's most upscale residential neighborhood, Pacific Heights, is not ideal for the guest who is interested in being in the heart of the action. And that is by design.

We are most assuredly an urban hotel, and as San Francisco is a very compact city, as our guest it will not take you long to get where you're going -- museums, concerts, restaurants, even the airport. Some destinations are a short drive or a hop on a bus, others are a stroll down the hill north, south east or west. But the Hotel Drisco is an urban retreat. We are in the center of a neighborhood of lovely homes where both pedestrian and vehicular traffic is minimal.

Thank you for your review!

Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Greeted with hot towels on a chilly January day was a pleasant start to our stay. This hotel sings out old world charm from the sitting room with people reading the paper having a cup of tea from wine and cheese being served at 5 pm to having a key rather than a plastic key card
The staff are very attentive and happy to help though at breakfast it is hard to find someone to bring you a hot chocolate or cappuccino (regular coffee is already on the side). Breakfast is continental style but would be nice if you could have the option of some scrambled eggs for example and I must say allowing the gentleman to attend breakfast in his dressing gown and pj's was off putting. The negative the lift starts noisily working at 5.30 am every morning, can't be guests every morning constantly up and down it has to be staff moving things around so my sleep was ended the same time every morning.

Room Tip: Ask to be well away from the lift
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. "Old fashioned charm" is a great title for a review of the Drisco. From our real keys to hot towels at check-in to our traditional philosophy of service, we can be pretty old fashioned. But we are also clandestinely cutting-edge where it matters, with free fast Wifi, HDTV, iDevice docks, etc.

You may be interested to know that we have just hired a local restaurateur to oversee all of our food and beverage operations, which should expedite the delivery of those hot chocolates and cappuccinos! I'm very sorry if they were delayed for you. As for scrambled eggs, that is a request that we only get once in a while, due mostly to the fact that our European-inspired buffet of super high-quality items is so extensive. In fact I often hear form our guests that they appreciate the absence of bacon, egg and cheese odors emanating from our Dining Room. However, we are here to serve you, and if majority opinion begins to shift to the idea of serving a more extensive hot breakfast, then that is exactly what we will do!

Lastly, I would like to sincerely apologize to you for the elevator noise that awoke you in the mornings. I don't believe our elevator is particularly noisy, nor is it used any more than necessary by my staff or guests, however as I have mentioned in past review replies here on Trip Advisor, the construction of our venerable 1903 Edwardian can lead to more noise transmission than in buildings of more modern construction. Some guests seem to be sensitive to it, many are not. I am indeed very sorry that it disturbed you. Please feel free to reach out to me regarding a future stay that I hope you will be considering, and I'll see what I can do for you!

Thank you again for your review!

John Spear

Been to Hotel Drisco? Share your experiences!