“More than just a hotel, Hotel Drisco is a destination!” 5 of 5 stars

Free breakfast!
Ranked #1 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Spartanburg, South Carolina, United States
“More than just a hotel, Hotel Drisco is a destination!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

My husband and I stayed 2 nights at Hotel Drisco during our honeymoon to Northern California. We were excited about the hotel just from what we saw online and in other guests' reviews. San Francisco has lots of great hotels, but for our honeymoon we wanted something quintessentially San Francisco beyond the cookie cutter chain hotels and the cold, modern look of most of the city's boutique hotels. We hit the jackpot with Hotel Drisco! The hotel is beautifully and historically restored to the elegance of the early 1900s. While having modern amenities and spacious rooms, the hotel has also managed to maintain its original character. The staff is impeccable. Every employee we encountered was not only extremely courteous and helpful, but they also seemed to truly enjoy working at Hotel Drisco. Upon check-in, we were offered an upgrade to a corner suite at a great price (apparently on Sundays they have discounted upgrades). We were early and our room was not quite ready so we were invited to relax in the hotel's sitting room where there was orange water, coffee, and assorted gourmet teas (my favorite was the mint chocolate tea) for us to enjoy. We only had to wait about 5 minutes. Then the bell hop showed us to our room. He gave us a very informative overview of the room, hotel amenities, and nearby attractions. His pride in the hotel and the city was obvious and much appreciated by my husband and me. It's so nice to find a hotel where the employees seem to enjoy what they do and where they work. The suite was beautiful and comfortable with amazing views of the city. Each night, the friendly housekeeping staff provided turn down service and brought us delicious cookies. The wine service was excellent with local wines, bread, cheese, fruit, and meats. The staff at the wine service were extremely professional and welcoming. After a day of exploring, returning to the hotel for wine service before venturing back out for dinner was something my husband and I looked forward to. The breakfast was also delicious and featured many locally produced foods. One of my favorite items was the sheep's milk yogurt from a nearby farm. The variety and selection of the breakfast was excellent. Throughout our stay, my husband and I enjoyed all the complimentary services provided by Hotel Drisco, like the wine service, cookies, breakfast, local newspaper, in-room fruit, individually wrapped Jelly Bellie, beverages in the sitting room, pillow menu, chauffeur service to Union Square, DVD library, etc. There is also complimentary use of the nearby YMCA. Although the food in the mini-fridge was not complimentary, the selection was very good and the prices were reasonable. Our room was also stocked with wine glasses and a corkscrew which was convenient since we had some bottles of wine we bought in Sonoma. The neighborhood is beautiful and very safe. We enjoyed seeing the many mansions in the neighborhood and found it to be a pleasant area to walk in despite the very steep hills. The views of the harbor and Alcatraz that we saw on our walks were amazing. The hotel is also very close to the Presidio. If you don't mind some exercise, walking to the Presidio and on to Crissy Field and the Golden Gate Bridge is very doable. We primarily used public transportation or walking to get around. The hotel is convenient to a few bus lines although you do have to walk up and down some steep hills to get to and from the stops. We figured that the steep hills were part of the San Francisco experience though so we didn't mind. Since we live on the East Coast, we don't expect to return to San Francisco often, but when we do, we will definitely stay at Hotel Drisco again. In fact, Hotel Drisco alone is worth a trip across the country. I have never planned a trip around a hotel or for the sake of staying at a hotel, but my husband and I have already decided we will return to San Francisco soon just to stay at Hotel Drisco again. Hotel Drisco is itself a destination.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

1,029 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Sundre, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

This hotel in San Francisco is a definiate 5 star. When we arrived we were met by staff that could not do enough to make us comfortable. They were very helpful and even willing to sit with us and explain all the best things to do in the city. We were given a personal tour of the Hotel the minute we arrived and told about all the EXTRA's they offered. From the wonderful breakfast in the morning to the wine reception in the evening to the chocolate cookies and bottled water in our room every night, everything was 1st class. Even parking, though it was a premium and I am not talking price (no cost for parking, unbelievable in San Fran) was never a problem as the staff were there to assist you in every way. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone from couples, singles to families. I will be staying at the Hotel Drisco when I return in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for room on higher floors
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

This was my second stay at Hotel Drisco--same wonderful service, same clean, beautiful hotel. Staff are warm and friendly without being intrusive. I can't think of staying anywhere else when visiting San Francisco. I travel quite a bit and Hotel Drisco is at the top of my list.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

I'm trying something new and use bullet points:
- Awesome, professional, nice staff
- Great rooms (except for lower level rooms - AVOID)
- Great breakfast with varying foods (both savory and sweet, carbohydrates and protein) Oh, espresso, cappucino or latte upon request!
- Great location (unless you like to be in the thick of things) this is in the heart of pacific heights.... very nice.
- On top of the hill. (good for views, bad if you like to walk everywhere like us)

Room Tip: - Avoid lower level room - Higher rooms have better floors
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Pasadena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

It was pure relaxation in a quiet and peaceful setting. The staff was always there to please and provide whatever you needed. Made for a great start to a California mini-vacation. Rooms were comfortable and excellent service in all areas.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Hemet, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

From the moment of arrival we were treated to the courtesy and care that one simply doesn't experience today. As a senior couple we remember how once one was considered a valuable guest and treated as such. The front desk staff are professional and gracious. The bellman is so very knowledgeable and helpful. The suite met every expectation of a first class hostelry. The public rooms are well appointed and very comfortable. There is a large staff who treat one as their only concern. Our visit provided us the opportunity to once again enjoy a first class hotel as they once were.

Room Tip: Couldn't speak to this as our Suite was so very satisfactory.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
DriscoManager, General Manager at Hotel Drisco, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

I am so pleased that we were able to bring you back in time a little bit to a place where personalized service was the hallmark of a truly first class hotel. Thank you for your lovely comments.

Kind Regards,

John Spear
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

I loved loved loved this hotel.

It was the perfect place to stay in San Francisco - surprisingly good value, a view of Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge from the windows, and just walking around the neighbourhood was a delight (all those impossibly beautiful houses). It was only a 10 min walk downhill at night to get to restaurants, though the walk back up is fairly challenging! The staff were very helpful with car rentals, Alcatraz tour tickets, and general city info. Breakfast was not extensive in that there was no hot food apart from (very nice) porridge available, but you get so much else (pastries, toast, hard-boiled eggs, cheeses, cold meats, fruit, yoghurt, cereal) that it doesn't matter. Also the manager of the hotel greets you every morning at breakfast and he is very nice to chat to. Complimentary tea and biscuits every afternoon was a nice touch. This is the kind of small hotel that gets it right by offering a very personal and unique service - the hotel wasn't perhaps as luxurious in terms of decor as a mega 5-star chain but that's not what we wanted - it was very lovely in terms of decor and very charming.

The only thing I would say is that I think the housekeepers may need to pay a bit more attention to detail. One day I found a blood spot (!) on my sheets and though they changed it immediately it was disconcerting. Also be aware room service is extremely limited so after coming back from a long day of sightseeing you do have to rouse yourself up for dinner, but that is no problem since there are good restaurants nearby. Renting a car does make things considerably easier.

Room Tip: If you are travelling with a family the multi bedroom/bathroom suites are very good value and ours h...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I appreciated your comments very much -- so glad you enjoyed the breakfast, the views from your suite and the many other amenities we have on offer. And please accept my sincere apologies for our housekeeping stumble. I have already spoken with my Executive Housekeeper about it.

I look forward to seeing you again at breakfast when you visit us next!

Kind Regards,

John Spear

Been to Hotel Drisco? Share your experiences!