“Not a good experience” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Alpha Inn and Suites San Francisco

Save Saved
You added Alpha Inn and Suites San Francisco to your Saves list
Alpha Inn and Suites San Francisco
2505 Lombard Street, San Francisco, CA 94123 (Formerly Econo Lodge) (Marina)   |
Ranked #214 of 237 Hotels in San Francisco
“Not a good experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

Reserved a room with mini-fridge and microwave . The bathroom was so moldy it set off my wife's asthma. They gave us a smaller room without the fridge or microwave, charged the same price. Heater was held together with flammable twine.

• Stayed June 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We stayed in Alpha Inn for two nights whilst in San Francisco. We received a good reception, our room was ok however the shower was pretty much the worst I've ever had in my life. It was one puny little stream, the shower head didn't even reach anyway near my head, i.e. Crap.

Here's the problem we had with Alpha Inn:

We noticed that we had been charged once for the room, and again with half the total. After inquiring at the office, we were told that this was an obligitory deposit and that it would be back in our account once we had left.
After travelling in America for the past week, with this not happenng anywhere else, we were confused but let it go. After driving back to LA the next day, we checked the account statement and the money hadn't gone back into the account. I called to ask about it, especially as it was a prepaid credit card and we needed to use the money before we left America. The lady on the phone was unhelpful, and basically told me that we had to call the card company to ask them to ask Alpha to return the money or wait 5-7 days for it to be transfered. We were due to leave 3 days after this call, and called them a day after we had left their accomodations.

From what I have read in previous comments, this "deposit" charge hasn't happened before. So not only have we still not received the money, it being 7 days plus since we called, we still haven't been contacted by these people and we probably won't be.

Do not stay here. They will take your money and give you crappy accomodation. There is no reason you would ever want to or should stay here, apart from the location.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Nelson, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

In April this year I booked 2 nights accommodation with this hotel - direct on their website. Five days later I emailed to cancel (due to reviews). I didn't hear anything so emailed again. I got a reply asking what dates and replied with those. I emailed twice more asking for confirmation this had been cancelled, no reply. Guessing it had been I let it go. Imagine my surprise when on the first night I had originally booked, I found one nights acc on my visa. I rang them twice & they hung up on me both times. I started emailing and after several threatening emails, plus advising Visa of my problem, I got my refund. Be very careful with this property, he was very rude on the phone before hanging up.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

This place wasn't too bad from the outside. Check in went smoothly and the manager appeared friendly at first. We got our room key and ventured up to the room. It took a while to manage to open the door but eventually we managed and BAM! The smell hit us. The room stunk like mould and a dirty nappy all in one! We went out very soon after and left the window open to try and air it to no avail. Needless to say, we stayed out as late as we could. The next day we had a full day which again was a relief but one of our days plans required us to print off our ticket, I thought 'why not ask the hotel manager, all other hostels, motels and hotels have helped us with this', WRONG. He firmly said no he wouldn't after I had specified it was only 2 pages...while standing next to the office printer and said there was somewhere 4 blocks away that I was able to walk to. I found this very poor, don't expect hospitality from this place. In the end our opinion was 'overpriced, incredibly smelly, old, unfriendly and again overpriced. The location is fine, not a walk into town but close to a supermarket, Laundromat and buses.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

1-the night when we checked in the receptionist was a nice lady.she said we can leave bags in the reception after our checkout next day.in the morning when we checked ou, we spoke with the worse ' menager ' i have ever seen in my life.he said no chance to leave bags!!!.we explaned we have a flight in the evening and we have been in san francicso only 1 day.we especially came to see alcatraz and travel on cable car which wasnt possible to be done with 4 suitcases.Manager said that hotel dont have a leave luggage room but have a room which they dont use at the moment because they decorate it but he will charge us only 50 usd for this !!! My husband said to him that its shocking that he's trying to charge us 50 usd for keeping our bags in empty room and that we've been to very many hotels in our life and nobody ever asked for such money.Manager started shouting on us to leave the hotel pointing the door.
2- Room was old,nothing's been changed there in last 30 years at least.i will never go back there.
Our stay in SF was saved by lovely people from the bar next to this horrible hotel that was called 'buffalo wings'. geat food for great price and lovely staff.these people kept our bags for fre and when we tried to givethem some money for it ,they didnt want to take it. bar for 5*,hotel -10*.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Cedar City, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

My boyfriend and I were on spring break vacation in San Francisco. We weren't too worried about the hotel as much as we were about the prices. We paid a good amount of money for the poor service we received. When we arrived the front desk clerk was yelling at two guests that had previously checked in. They didn't understand where their room was located and the clerk frustrated yelled at them and told them to go look for it. We were very shocked with such service. However, we kept quiet and waited till he finished with the two gentleman. He checked us in just fine, he was nice to us... I didn't quite understand this man's behavior. The room looked clean as you walked in, but as soon as you started walking around you could tell that it needed to be cleaned. One out of our three nights the hot water wasn't working in our bathroom. I called down and asked him if he could please come look at it or do anything to fix it. He didn't bother to come or offer assistance, he just said the water is working just fine and I need to keep trying. "keep trying" Well, we just took a cold shower. In the morning there was a new older gentleman that checked us out, he seemed like he actually cared about our stay and wished us good luck. I would reconsider staying at this place again. The only good things were the spacious rooms and the location.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the ground floor. There's a couple of stories and no elevator. We had bikes...