“Good value. Clean.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #116 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
coronado, ca
“Good value. Clean.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2011

Found out it was better to stay out of the downtown area when I happened upon this Days Inn. It is a good price considering how overpriced it is to stay in SF. It's located right by the beach and zoo which are both nice. Don't think it's the most upscale neighborhood, but I never saw anything suspicious there. The rooms are clean and good sized, but make sure you don't get one facing the main street, Sloat, as it is busy. Otherwise, if you're a light sleeper, you won't sleep.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends

273 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

I booked a stay here for a team I manage in July 2010. We had quite a bit of trouble with the reservation, made worse by the manager barely speaking English.

Upon check in, my company's card was declined. They refused to allow my athletes to check in. I was not physically present, and frantic to let my athletes check in, I gave them my personal card information. Even with that, they weren't going to let them check in until I faxed in the authorization paperwork, which I could not do because I was in the car on the way to the airport!

Fortunately, one of the athletes just paid for it on his card and we reimbursed him. Problem solved. I thought.

6 months later, I am very surprised to check the online statement for my personal account and find a nearly $2,000 charge from this hotel dated January 12!!

I call the hotel, and give them my info. They called me back about a half hour later and said it was all a mistake and that they would issue a refund. They said they are under new management and that when they were reviewing old paperwork, somehow my account got charged.

Of course the refund takes time to process, so $2,000 of my money is tied up for at least a week, if not longer!

I am very disturbed that they still had my personal account information, when authorization paperwork was never filled out for it, and that they would just put a giant charge on it 6 months later without even attempting to contact anyone from my organization first.

I now have Days Inn headquarters and my bank's fraud division on the case, but the fact that this happened at all is extremely upsetting.

The good news is that this hotel appears to have a new manager that appears to speak English. The bad news is that they appear to have no qualms about placing unauthorized charges on accounts from stays 6 months prior.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
GREENWOOD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2010

Pros: 2 blocks from the "L" line to downtown; minimal street noise; free parking; easy access from north or south; clean
Cons: "breakfast" is an apple and a bagel (or similar); parking garage is teeny-tiny.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Des Moines, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2010

The desk clerk was very poor, on the cell phone all the time and in the back room. You had to ring the bell for him to appear. The air condiltioner didnt work and he said all rooms booked up. Then he stated if we wait until noon the next day may have a room available. We didnt want to waste half a day of sightseeing to wait for a room. We had to keep the windows open for air and being on the street side was noise of traffic all night long. He said they only have maintenance man once a week on Friday to fix things so no fixing of the air conditioner then. The next morning we went down for the sparce continenetal breakfast and the coffee maker was broke. The morning before everything was out and had to summon the desk clerk from behind again to restock. He didnt bother to check before if it had adequate supplies. They need a desk clerk who is responsible and cares about his job. It may be cheaper than other motels in San Francisco but you certainly dont get your moneys work. Dont stay there.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
north america
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2010

I would stay here again. the price was fair, front desk man (Danny) was welcoming and helpful, the room was clean(very important) with no nasty odors, and roomy. It is a short walk to the beach, the zoo, and public transport. Also located close to the highway, making it easy to get to.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Darke Co. Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

Had booked two nights, upon arrival at 1:00 pm we had to cancel the second night, this was well withing the 4:00 cancellation time.
The young man at the desk said no problem, he could cancel the second night, a few minutes later he says he can't cancel it, we booked through the Days Inn internet site and he could not cancel it.
I called the Days Inn folks, they said he can cancel it with no issues, I told him that and he said the manager will be in and she could do it.
They manager never showed that evening, the next AM when we were checking out I asked the desk lady for the manager, she said she would get her, the young man came out instead, said the manager isn't here, I reminded him of what the Days Inn folks said, he assured me my card would not get charged, of course they charged my card for both nights, I filed a complaint with Days Inn and disputed the charge with the credit card....
And this same fellow instead of giving directions to the transit stop nearby kept insisting he would book a commercial tour for us, even kept insisting after I kept saying no, we are not interested in a tour.
We got directions from a lady on the street.
The hotel itself isn't bad, decent room, the parking garage is tiny, the people runnning it are a different story though.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

We (2 kids and mom) stayed at this hotel for one night during the July 4th weekend. I choose it as a location where we could leave the car and take public transportation into the California Academy of Sciences.

Hotel staff was very friendly and caring. I had sent my kds out into lobby to wait on me to go to dinner and I cmae back and the staff had opened the morning juice machines and given them each a cup of juice - that was so nice of them.

Room size. I thought the room we had was a bit cramped. BUT, I think that has more to do with "being in the big city" where everthing was smaller/tight/cramped (streets, restaurants, buses, etc.). Given this was San Francisco, I think I have to be just satifisfied with the room size (...unfair to compare it with Days Inn I've stayed at in Colorado/etc).

Lobby. Lobby was a bit smelly. I think a little airing out and some deodorizer should do the trick.

No breakfast room. Was disappointed that there was no little breakfast room. Hotel offered contiental breakfast, but you had to get the food and bring it back to your room. Again, I chalk this up to the limited space of that big city thing.

Parking. The parking on 1st level was very tight and difficult to maneuver. But desk clerk told me there was underground parking. No issues parking the Ford Escape mini SUV there - an Escalade or other larger SUVS might be an issue :-)

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Days Inn San Francisco at the Beach? Share your experiences!