“Impressive!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Santa Cruz, California
“Impressive!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I was not sure what to expect after reading the reviews but this is my experience:
When I first got there I came to check in and was warmly received by Jose- he checked me in, walked me to my truck, carried my bags, and escorted me to my room. He was a very friendly receptionist- even noticed I brought Champagne and offered to put it on Ice and brought chilled flutes as well!
I read complaints of cleanliness- I found the room and facilities to be plenty clean! I could pick apart a few odd things but generally I was not displeased.
My stay was on NYE in the winter. It was not too warm in my room so we used the heater- It was noisy after turning it off but again- not a deal breaker for me!
We reserved a Large room after seeing some of the complaints about size and we were pleased to see the size was plenty roomy for us. In the City these older buildings are not comparable to large chain hotels that are built ground up in modern day engineering. It is a beautiful hotel in an old authentic SF Building.
I enjoyed all the decor and art work- the hotel has hand painted flowers and framed paintings all over and the wall paper- though old- went with the whole French theme. I felt this place was a cozy and homely hotel- more like a bed and breakfast to me- witch was the selling point for me too- the breakfast included is delicious- choice between French toast or Eggs/Bacon/Hash browns and OJ with lemon water. I was Impressed by the food and the wait staff- very friendly and responsive. The decor themed Joan or Jeanne D' Arc was fun to look at while dining in the restaurant.
I will admit that this Hotel was found by scouting out the "cheapest" option available near the square for NYE. I didn't expect to get so much "bang" for my buck and so pleasantly impressed by the whole experience! Thanks Cornell Staff- we will be back again and again! And refer all my family and friends!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Turkish first
Guaynabo, PR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Service was excellent, so was the breakfast included with the stay.
The hotel has a very European feel. I liked the old-fashioned elevator, the fact that each floor is dedicated to a French Painter/Artist, and that the restaurant looks like a castle. My only complain was the sheets, they were in bad shape. Other than that, I'd recommend it

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We have stayed at the Cornell at least twenty times and always with the same pleasure. For us it's the ideal transition between Oregon, where we live, and France were we spend a few months each year.
The location is perfect, the rooms decorated with taste, are comfortable and charming.
Bathrooms, wall papers ,lightning, are periodically redone, renovated, refreshed. Everything is always perfectly clean.
And having breakfast in the lovely dining room downstairs, is a treat. The food is excellent and the service efficient. It also feels good to recognize, year after year, the persons serving you pancakes or oatmeal, they obviously like their jobs and that creates a most pleasant atmosphere.
We recommend the Cornell hotel de France with enthusiasm and would not dream of staying elsewhere in San Francisco,

Austin, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Our first visit to the Cornell Hotel (chosen that time from a list of possibles, simply because we have a friend whose name is Cornell) was at least twenty years ago, probably more, when we enjoyed a week's accommodation with five dinners. Over the years we've only been able to visit a few more times, but now with a son living only an hour from the city, we hope this will happen more frequently. We could stay only two nights and opted for one dinner, which was, as it had always been, delicious and served in the very atmospheric basement restaurant. The main courses were great and the souffle outstanding, the best we've ever had. Our room on the fourth floor, facing back to avoid possible street noise, was light and bright and the bed was very comfy. May of the staff members are the same from years ago. The hotel is perfectly situated for walking to the Union Square and Chinatown areas and within walking distance of Bart stations (even lugging small wheeled suitcases). We were delighted to find that standards and quality at the Cornell had not slipped over the many intervening years and will look forward to our next opportunity to stay there. By the way, there's a beautiful golden retriever resident there adding to the feeling that this is a home away from home.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Mill Valley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

A quaint, homey hotel in a great location. Excellent restaurant. Amazing packages with accommodations, dinner, breakfast and parking. Feels like a trip to France without leaving the SF Bay Area! Wonderfully romantic without spending a large sum of money!

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Just up from Union Square and a block from Masa's sits a window to France. Owners Claude and Micheline along with daughter Sabine with a friendly and capable staff including Chef Pierre transport guests to the heart of France the moment you enter this wonderful hotel experience. Each floor pays homage in decor to a French artist. We enjoyed room 500 on the Henri Matisse fifth floor with views towards the Transamerica Pyramid and on down Bush Street. Snuggy comforters and very comfortable beds. We opted for the special this month that includes 3 nights, all breakfasts and two nights of a prix fix dinner in the cave Jeanne D'Arc that were both exceptional served by our waiter who hails from Orleans. I used the word cave because the restaurant, like so many in Paris, is located in the basement. I experienced my first basement restaurant on my inaugural trip to Paris in '84 while having wine at Au Pinot Franc on I'sle St. Louis. I was so green I had no clue where everyone was disappearing to from the ground level bar until the second night when the host escorted us down into the cave for such a wonderful surprise. The Lamberts have engaged an artist who has hand painted the walls of the restaurant with all sorts of art. Several prints and paintings and life size sculptures of Jeanne d'Arc also decorate the room. This is definitely a go to place if you are a francophile. You will be happy. Perfect rack of lamb, filet mignon, duck breast a l'orange and Salmon were our entrees the two nights we enjoyed dinner. The sauces are all to die for and the dessert of fresh made Soufflé au Grand Marnier was wonderful. All for $42 for the four course meal. Soup, appetizer, entree and dessert. Across the street the tasting menu was $114 and the wine pairing an additional $78 which I am sure was good but, oh please! We do love Masa's but on your next visit to San Francisco, Jeanne D'Arc is a must. (we miss you Ernie's) Oh, and the wine list is extensive and most affordable. We enjoyed Kir Royals throughout the evenings.

St. Helena, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We had a very nice return stay, this is our third visit to the hotel. The rooms are simple, but immaculate and have everything that you would need, except a mirror in the bedroom. We appreciated being able to catch our breath in the little coffee and tea room near the lobby. A nice breakfast is included in the charming dining room. Now there is complimentary wi-fi, a good parking garage with a discounted rate of $24.00 and the hotel is only a few blocks from Union Square. The hotel restaurant is a pre fixe and very pleasant, and a good buy for $42 per person! I look forward to our return!...Patricia Berry-owner Buon Viaggio Travel, St. Helena Ca

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Cornell Hotel de France? Share your experiences!