I must admit that I was slightly disappointed when first arriving as the hotel room seemed musty and a bit more aged than I had expected but this was quickly dispelled by the charm and character of the hotel and its staff. The rooms have the aged bones of the building but have been updated and are immaculately clean (the mustiness was the closet only and quickly aired). I appreciated the beautiful, cultural decor of the lobby......so much more soothing and interesting than the normal generic lobby. The location is great, being in a quiet neighbourhood with close access to coffee shops, but a 10 min. walk from the bustling Union Square. Tip for a wonderful, cheap and cheerful coffee shop is Jin's Cafe at 965 Sutter.....we had take-out coffee, fresh squeezed juices and snack every morning due to the quality and value. We did try the hotel restaurant, Saha, for breakfast and was thoroughly impressed by the food and service...wish we had gone more often. The staff is what make the place outstanding....they were all genuinely friendly and helpful. By the end of the week stay the Hotel Carlton started to feel like 'home'. I feel guilty that I first doubted the hotel upon my arrival and would choose to stay there again on my next trip to San Francisco.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The historic Hotel Carlton offers an international ambiance paired with outstanding guest service. Built in 1927, this nine-story San Francisco hotel is 3 blocks from the California Street cable car line, 6 blocks from Union Square, 8 blocks from the main entrance to Chinatown and 9 blocks from Civic Center. Complimentary evening wine receptions are held in Hotel Carlton's lobby nightly and feature live music from local artists. In addition, Hotel Carlton provides complimentary wireless internet to all guests; upgraded bandwidth is also available (surcharge applies). Recently renovated, all 161 non-smoking guestrooms at Hotel Carlton feature remodeled bathrooms including decorative floor and wall tiling, new vanities and sinks. The public spaces showcase cross-cultural design that incorporates treasures from Africa, India, Nepal, Laos and Asia. Our restaurant Saha features award-winning Arabic Fusion cuisine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, HotelTravel.com, Otel, Venere, TripOnline SA, Despegar.com, Odigeo, Priceline and Tingo so you can book your Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Carlton Hotel San Francisco
- Hotel Carlton San Francisco