“At the Carlton” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Henderson, Nevada
“At the Carlton”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

3rd time staying at the Hotel Carlton from 24-27 March. Always enjoy staying at the Hotel Carlton when in San Francisco. Helpful, knowledgeable, and friendly staff. Great for families, especially teenagers.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hotel M, Manager at Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for a fantastic review! We are elated to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return to San Francisco!

1,844 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
Madison
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I came to SF with a list of things I wanted to do, museums to visit and just enjoy this lovely city. I was traveling by myself and wanted to feel free to roam the neighborhood I was staying in, as it's a great city to walk!! Upon checking in, which was very late at night,(original flight got cancelled, etc, etc), the fellow at the desk was not only friendly and welcoming he made me laugh and forget how frustrated I was from such messed up flights. My room was great, super comfy bed and pillows. If you are looking for a cookie cutter hotel with all the bells and whistles, this is not the place for you! But if you are open minded and want a unique experience come and enjoy! I will stay here again and again!

Room Tip: I was on the third floor, but would stay higher up next time for less street noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Hotel M, Manager at Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for a wonderful review! We are elated to hear how much you enjoyed your stay, and that we could make you feel comfortable after a long journey. We hope that you'll join us again soon for a bite at the Saha Restaurant. We look forward to your return, and hope to see you again soon!
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I loved staying in this historical hotel. The hotel has preserved many of the historical details of the building while providing all the modern comforts you expect from a Joie de Vivre hotel. The front staff was super friendly and unpretentious. We enjoyed the wine reception and music was really cool. The hotel is a short walk from Chinatown, there are parking garages nearby. The hotel parking garage, while more expensive, is open 24 hours in contrast to the nearby garages. We were able to find parking easily on the street.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for a terrific review! We are happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We sincerely appreciate your compliments and appreciation of the historical features at the Hotel Carlton! We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return!
Kansas City, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We stayed one night in Hotel Carlton. It is a charming boutique hotel with great customer service. We asked for a late check out thinking maybe 1pm and they were able to give us 2pm. Everyone in the front desk was especially helpful and courteous. Room was comfortable and clean. Neighborhood was lively and fun on Friday night. We did not try the onsite restaurant as we arrived late after we already had dinner. Like I said, we only stayed for one night but would look forward to staying more nights next time we are in SF.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for an outstanding review! We are elated to hear that you enjoyed your stay. and that we were able to accommodate your needs. Be sure to give the Saha Restaurant a try next time. We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return to the Hotel Carlton!
san jose
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

The check-in process was quick and friendly. The view was great from the top floor. The bed and bathroom were good quality.

The noise ensured that I will never recommend this hotel. I had to listen to the conversation in the next room the entire night. The neighbor wasn't yelling or screaming so I was very surprised that I not only could I hear noise from the next room, I could hear the exact words from the conversation and TV.

The TV in my room had no signal. When I called the front desk, I was told that someone would come to my room and fix it. Nobody ever came.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you encountered during your stay. Our hotel was built in the 1920's so it may not be up to your expectations. We hope that you'll join us again, and be sure to ask for a quiet room! Please return soon, we look forward to making up for past experiences!
Lisle, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I come to SF to visit family. My mom lives in a 1 bedroom a few blocks from this hotel and has no room for me to sleep so Carlton is not only convenient to her but also affordable for my needs. This was my second time staying there and I don't see any reason to shop around next time.

First thing I noticed was that despite the 2 years that had passed since my last time staying there, the same faces greeted me upon check-in and every night I came in/morning I walked out. The hotel industry has a fairly high level of turnover so seeing the same people from my trip two years ago tells me that Carlton is a nice place to work and nice places to work make for happy workers who pass along the Happy to the rest of us. Not a small observation IMO.

I came in my second night with a couple tins of tiramisu my mom had left in the car. Tiramisu unfortunately needs to be refrigerated so I was looking at either eating it all in my room that night (after already indulging in a large slice, not the best prospect on the horizon) or letting it go to waste. But the clerks at the desk resolved the dilemna by offering me a refrigerator to be brought up to my room - I didn't ask for it, didn't know it was even a possibility. And lo and behold, 3 minutes later, I had a small refrigerator in my room and the tiramisu was safe till the next day when I could return it to my mom.

The rooms are comfy - not huge but I had enough room for a decent workout (after all that tiramisu, come on!) and I enjoy the decor. I did not partake in the daily wine reception so I can't speak to that but I was encouraged on multiple occasions to do so, if I desired.

All-in-all, great property, great location (Lower Nob Hill), great employees - will be back whenever I come back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Hotel M, Manager at Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for an outstanding review! We are elated to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We are pleased that we could take care of your needs to save the tiramisu! Yum! We appreciate your loyalty, and look forward to your next visit. We hope to see you again soon!
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed here last week for 6 nights. We really can't give a bad review as we enjoyed our stay; the bed was so comfy, room had character and the price was very affordable for central SF. The only slight negatives would be that the walls are a little thin and the area is just a bit further out of the CBD than expected, but these are just little compromises for good value, good service and a pleasant stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for a great review! We are pleased to hear that you and your husband enjoyed your stay. We appreciate the time you took to provide your comments and feedback. We hope that you'll join us again upon your next visit to San Francisco, and we look forward to your return!

Been to Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel? Share your experiences!