I really have to have an out of body experience to say a hotel was Excellent, or give it 5-stars, but this came very close.
On arrival, the reception staff was fabulous. We got in extremely late due to being snowed in in Boston and we were greated warmly and as if it was mid-day, not a bother on them that we were so late.
Our twin room was on the 7th floor and at the end of a dead-end hallway, which was great for the most part. It was completely quiet except for some other late-arrivals on our second night who were quite loud about settling in. I'd advise a dead-end room if possible as the noise seems to carry in the hallways. There is also the street noise, which was not bad compared to other big cities, but may take some folks time to get used to. I slept soundly and solidly but for the guests next door arriving that one night.
Our room was excellent, nicely sized for the two of us, comfortable beds and pillows and very clean. Bathroom was good sized but with a pedestal sink only, so not a lot of counter space. My sister and I jockeyed for position on the very narrow shelf space on the wall. We're not high maintenance but a little more room to spread out would be nice.
It was about a 10 minute walk to Union Square so convenient enough. We found on-street parking for our first night so only had to valet park our car one night ($35 per night). I think that's standard for big cities, so not a problem.
Breakfast in the hotel restaurant was good and filling. It doesn't start until 8:00 on weekends, so we missed it the day we checked out in order to make our flight.
The staff are great, funny, and very personable. We have to return to SF at the end of April, so decided at check-out to rebook at the Carlton for then. We look forward to coming back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The historic Hotel Carlton offers an international ambiance paired with outstanding guest service. Built in 1927, this nine-story San Francisco hotel is 3 blocks from the California Street cable car line, 6 blocks from Union Square, 8 blocks from the main entrance to Chinatown and 9 blocks from Civic Center. Complimentary evening wine receptions are held in Hotel Carlton's lobby nightly and feature live music from local artists. In addition, Hotel Carlton provides complimentary wireless internet to all guests; upgraded bandwidth is also available (surcharge applies). Recently renovated, all 161 non-smoking guestrooms at Hotel Carlton feature remodeled bathrooms including decorative floor and wall tiling, new vanities and sinks. The public spaces showcase cross-cultural design that incorporates treasures from Africa, India, Nepal, Laos and Asia. Our restaurant Saha features award-winning Arabic Fusion cuisine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, HotelTravel.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Priceline, Booking.com and Tingo so you can book your Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Carlton Hotel San Francisco
- Hotel Carlton San Francisco