“Great stay, we already rebooked for later!” 4 of 5 stars

Close to Everything
Ranked #35 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Manchester-by-the-Sea, Massachusetts
“Great stay, we already rebooked for later!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I really have to have an out of body experience to say a hotel was Excellent, or give it 5-stars, but this came very close.

On arrival, the reception staff was fabulous. We got in extremely late due to being snowed in in Boston and we were greated warmly and as if it was mid-day, not a bother on them that we were so late.

Our twin room was on the 7th floor and at the end of a dead-end hallway, which was great for the most part. It was completely quiet except for some other late-arrivals on our second night who were quite loud about settling in. I'd advise a dead-end room if possible as the noise seems to carry in the hallways. There is also the street noise, which was not bad compared to other big cities, but may take some folks time to get used to. I slept soundly and solidly but for the guests next door arriving that one night.

Our room was excellent, nicely sized for the two of us, comfortable beds and pillows and very clean. Bathroom was good sized but with a pedestal sink only, so not a lot of counter space. My sister and I jockeyed for position on the very narrow shelf space on the wall. We're not high maintenance but a little more room to spread out would be nice.

It was about a 10 minute walk to Union Square so convenient enough. We found on-street parking for our first night so only had to valet park our car one night ($35 per night). I think that's standard for big cities, so not a problem.

Breakfast in the hotel restaurant was good and filling. It doesn't start until 8:00 on weekends, so we missed it the day we checked out in order to make our flight.

The staff are great, funny, and very personable. We have to return to SF at the end of April, so decided at check-out to rebook at the Carlton for then. We look forward to coming back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hotel M, Manager at Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you for a great review! We are pleased to hear how much you and your family enjoyed your stay. We appreciate your feedback as well! Thank you for adding details that will truly help our future guests understand our property. The Saha Restaurant is certainly a treat, and we are glad you liked it. We look forward to your return, and thank you deeply for your loyalty!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
novato, ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Pros: cute hotel with lots of character, love "Snazz" music during wine reception, friendly staff, nice room decor, loved food at Saha, two blocks away from Wayo Sushi on Van Ness

Cons: thin walls and doors, view of street not good, small rooms, not great neighborhood, wine reception can get strange if you see one guy coming back 5x's with two glasses

Take past reviews about noise issues seriously. You can literally hear the person peeing in the room next door, hear every conversation, cough, and sniffle as if they are in the room with you. Ask for a room NOT facing the street. They are doing construction at the moment on the building across the street and the noise from outside is just as crystal clear as the noise from the hallway and next door rooms. They started hammering at 7am on Sat.-bummer.

I would've given this hotel one star based on my experience which was a man coming back to the hotel at 1:30am with about 10 people two doors down from us. They literally were in the hallway screaming, laughing and acting crazy for about an hour before I called down. I was trying so hard to believe they would settle down eventually. They did not. The front desk came up about 4 x's with no success until a police officer showed up at 5:30am. Very disturbing. It was just a really strange scene since you could hear the man sound reasonable when they would come up and then as soon as the front desk people would leave he's go right back to partying. I even came out of my room at 3:30am and told him I'd had enough and to knock it off and shut up already. Still he continued until the cops came.

So obviously I wasn't very happy when I checked out the next day and this is why I give them 3 stars. They were super apologetic, comped me the nights stay, and told me they were really upset as well with what happened. The mgr., Jamie, was just arriving as I was leaving so I filled her in quickly and just said "Be prepared for other guests to speak with you about this. It was like nothing else I have ever experienced and it was very disturbing." She apologized and I left. By the time I got home 30 mns. later there was a msg. from her asking me to call. She told me on the phone that she had read the employees report and was thoroughly upset with what had happened and wished it had not gone on as long as it did. She also said she wants to send me an offer to come back free of charge to give them another chance. I said I would. I can't imagine that it would be like that again!

My advice---specifically request a quiet room with preferably no one next door, not next to the housekeeping closet or next to the elevator since everyone's conversation comes right into your room at all hours of the night. Also the neighborhood is right on the verge of not being so great. We saw a lot of homeless people just crashed on the street and Sat. night there were a few male transsexual prostitutes (one which had her/his top pulled down exposing her breasts). Would not recommend for families with small kids. I maybe crazy but I will try again soon and erase the bad memories.

Room Tip: High floor with no one above you, away from noisy elevators and housekeeping closet, don't face...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel M, Manager at Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you for your review. We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you encountered. Being in the city there are certainly times when it is not completely quiet. We are happy to hear that we could remedy it for you somewhat. We hope that you'll give us another chance, and we look forward to making it up to you next time. We look forward to seeing you again!
Granada Hills
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Pretty much the same reviews as everyone here. The whole staff from the front desk to the room service maids are very much welcoming and friendly. We had stayed in the area for two nights only. The room was spacious with a comfortable bed, very clean and looked extremely nice. The best part of it all, the location is in the middle of everywhere! We were able to buy a day buss/trolley pass for only $12 across the street in a liquor store to avoid all driving traffic/parking. We left our car a block down from the hotel overnight. It was $40 for two nights...but oh well. That's better than $60 from the hotel. I will most definitely stay at this Hotel again over and over. They do offer free wine nightly I believe (which we didn't do) but it was really of the Hotel to offer this to us. Theo (front desk) advised us what to check out in town, the routes to take and what to avoid lol. Funny guy! My partner who usually always plans our vacations had asked me to plan our in San Francisco this time...and let me just say he was extremely pleased I had picked this Hotel. The outside location MIGHT look sketchy...but it really isn't people. Check this hotel for sure!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for a fantastic review! We are elated to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We appreciate the information you provided for our future guests as well. We hope that you'll join us again for a bite in the Saha Restaurant, it is exquisite! We look forward to your return, and we hope to see you again soon!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We stayed at Carlton at a time when the rest of the city's hotels were booked up for some conference, and were able to get a very good rate. The location is good, convenient and safe. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The hotel is not your usuall experience and definitely has an interesting character to it. The rooms are small but clean. The beds are comfortable. And I found the artwork on walls, the map in the elevator with all the pictures and the rest of the "imaging" quite worthwhile. Overall, would definitely stay again and recommend to others.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Hotel M, Manager at Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you for a great review! We are elated to hear how much you enjoyed your stay, and we appreciate your comments. We hope that you'll join us at the Saha Restaurant upon your next visit. We look forward to you return, and hope to see you soon!
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

From the minute we walked into the Carlton, we felt welcomed and amused. The staff was all extremely accommodating, very friendly, and funny too. Our room was spacious and comfortable. We only had breakfast at Saha restaurant, but wouldn't hesitate to eat there even if we weren't staying at the hotel. Yemini breakfast! Yum! The location is good for access to the rest of the city. And don't even think about missing the happy hour. For the price, you can't do any better.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Hotel M, Manager at Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank you for a terrific review! We are thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. The Saha Restaurant is certainly a treat, and thank you for mentioning how much you liked it! We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return to the Hotel Carlton!
Sam Roi Yot, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

From the moment we walked in until the moment we left, we felt cared for and watched after. The staff at the Carlton went out of their way to make us comfortable. We had just flown in from Asia and were exhausted. We dropped the bags and went to lunch, knowing we couldn't check in until the afternoon. When we returned, our bags were ready to go to our room and it was waiting for us. We made odd calls in the middle of the night (different time zones) and used the lobby for quiet work sessions but that was no problem. We had run of the house with all the services at our disposal. The restaurant is quite a find, as well. I have been eating at that restaurant for so long I can't remember when I first went. But I have always been thrilled with the food at Saha prepared by the chef's able hands. If you need a good place to hang your hat when you are really busy with business, and you want to be centrally located without paying the crazy prices or being stuck in the noise downtown, the Carlton is the choice. I was right on the bus lines to go visit family around the city and within walking distance to some really excellent food choices. I usually don't mind hotels much, I spend most of my time outside looking around, but this was a trip "home" and I wanted to be somewhere comfortable with people who were paying attention and could answer questions and help with business needs. I got that.

Room Tip: The east side faces a playground of sorts. It is only used after school for a few short hours, but i...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for a terrific review! We are elated to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We sincerely appreciate the time you took to provide your comments and feedback, and we love to hear that we became your home-away-from-home. We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return to the Hotel Carlton!
portland, oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Excellent customer service. We arrived early in the morning and our room was ready for us. Later that evening we enjoyed the free wine reception with SNAZZ. Upon returning to our room for the night we opened the window for fresh air and the window fell out into the room. A staff was in our room within minutes to repair. When the repair couldn't be resolved we were put in a room close by, offered a free bottle of wine and breakfast the next morning. Staff were pleasant, funny, and prompt. Thank you Hotel Carlton.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Hotel M, Manager at Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you for a wonderful review! We are elated to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We sincerely appreciate the time you took to provide your comments and feedback. We apologize for any inconveniences you encountered, and are pleased that we could assist you in a timely manner. We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return!

Been to Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel? Share your experiences!