“Stay Here” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
portland, oregon
“Stay Here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Excellent customer service. We arrived early in the morning and our room was ready for us. Later that evening we enjoyed the free wine reception with SNAZZ. Upon returning to our room for the night we opened the window for fresh air and the window fell out into the room. A staff was in our room within minutes to repair. When the repair couldn't be resolved we were put in a room close by, offered a free bottle of wine and breakfast the next morning. Staff were pleasant, funny, and prompt. Thank you Hotel Carlton.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Hotel M, Manager at Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you for a wonderful review! We are elated to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We sincerely appreciate the time you took to provide your comments and feedback. We apologize for any inconveniences you encountered, and are pleased that we could assist you in a timely manner. We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
Wheaton, MD
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I have to come down on the "disappointing" side of things. Several years ago I stayed at the Hotel Vitale in San Francisco, which is owned by the same chain. They were filled up, but directed me to their "sister" property. Poor cousin is more like it! I was disappointed when I got there, but reasoned it was not entirely fair to measure Carlton against Vitale (which is more expensive). I've stayed at any number of budget hotels, and don't really have a problem with less expensive options. So I utlimately checked in with an open mind.

But three things convinced me that Carlton simply does not measure up against any decent-to-upscale hotel. First, the room was extremely cold. The rooms do not have their own temperature controls, and when I asked at the front desk, I was assured they would bring a heater up. Never arrived. Strike one. Second, when I went to give my keys to the valet, I was told it would take them 45 minutes to bring the car around. "I said really??? That's ridiculous!" They said yes, that's how long it takes. So I voted with my $$$ and parked at a public lot down the street. Strike two. Strike three was the mildew in the bathroom. I mean, the rooms weren't disgusting, but it was hardly conducive to the nice boutique feel I was looking for. Everything was just drab and dated.

There was also the very small elevators, which were fine, if dated; and the weird Eurotrash music (loud!) playing during happy hour in the common area. Didn't really phase me, but didn't make me want to come back any time soon, either. Sorry guys! Everyone was perfectly nice; but the property is in real need of either updating or a serious price drop.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Hotel M, Manager at Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank you for your review. We sincerely apologize if we were not able to live up to your expectations. The Hotel Vitale is certainly spectacular, and we are honored to be a part of a great company like Joie de Vivre Hotels. We hope that you'll give us another chance, our service is truly what we pride ourselves on. We look forward to your return, and hope to see you again soon!
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Great friendly service, I especially enjoyed the 5:30 happy hour. The staff were very knowledgeable about the area, tourist attractions, restaurants etc. This hotel is well priced and the rooms are clean and comfortable. I highly recommend this hotel and I would stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for a great review! We are pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. Our nightly wine reception is certainly a treat! Give the Saha Restaurant a try next time. We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return to the Hotel Carlton!
Davis, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

This was one of the few hotels available in our price range on our desired dates. We were pleasantly surprised in every way. The desk clerks are friendly, and one is positively hilarious. The valet parking was easy, with in and out privileges. The lobby is pleasant and low-key, with complimentary wine at 5:30. Our room was very quiet, on the side of the building. The size was modest but we were very comfortable with the decor, bed, flatscreen TV, lighting, etc. We didn't eat at the hotel because we were meeting others, but the Middle Eastern menu looked intriguing. The staff readily agreed to store our luggage from checkout until evening, and when we arrived to collect the luggage and the car, we were brought wine even though it was after Happy Hour. We felt the staff went the extra mile to make our stay a pleasant one.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Hotel M, Manager at Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Thank you for a wonderful review! We love to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. Our restaurant Saha is certainly a treat just as you mentioned! We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return!
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

The front staff was brilliant and extremely helpful . Made you feel at home. Wha most boutique hotels strive for! The rooms are a bi tired and the walls paper thin. Benin ear plugs if you are a sensitive sleeper like me. Comfy bed. Room was a bit dusty, and they really need to provide a decent cup of coffee either in your room of in the lobby.. Good location, 20 min walk to Moscone.

Will stay again mainly because of the wonderful Philippino staff in front, " SALAMAT PO"
( no, I was no paid to say this, they were very friendly and helpful.)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for a great review! We are happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We sincerely appreciate the time you took to provide your comments and feedback. Thank you for pointing out how convenient our location is! We hope that you'll join us again soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

When you need access and not excess to SF, this hotel gives you a safe, comfortable haven. European style, the rooms are small, old, but clean, updated, and cozy. I appreciate the efforts towards conservation-but making sure guests gave what they need. The staff is welcoming and I have stayed here several times.

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you for a terrific review! We are so pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We sincerely appreciate your feedback. Our style is definitely unique! We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to seeing you again!
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

My discovery of Hotel Carlton was a lucky break. I searched online a few years ago to find a hotel in San Francisco that was affordable and conveniently located. The write-ups I read from various sources sounded intriguing, describing this as a "boutique hotel" with a friendly staff, no frills, but decent accommodations. Since that first trip, I have returned a half dozen times and have recommended the hotel to others. Here's why: Hotel Carlton is homey, unique, cozy and warm. It is close to Union Square, great shopping, good restaurants, and a wide range of Muni transportation choices. I will certainly return!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for a fantastic review! We are elated to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We sincerely appreciate your loyalty, and the time you took to provide your feedback. We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return to the Hotel Carlton!

Been to Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel? Share your experiences!