I have to come down on the "disappointing" side of things. Several years ago I stayed at the Hotel Vitale in San Francisco, which is owned by the same chain. They were filled up, but directed me to their "sister" property. Poor cousin is more like it! I was disappointed when I got there, but reasoned it was not entirely fair to measure Carlton against Vitale (which is more expensive). I've stayed at any number of budget hotels, and don't really have a problem with less expensive options. So I utlimately checked in with an open mind.
But three things convinced me that Carlton simply does not measure up against any decent-to-upscale hotel. First, the room was extremely cold. The rooms do not have their own temperature controls, and when I asked at the front desk, I was assured they would bring a heater up. Never arrived. Strike one. Second, when I went to give my keys to the valet, I was told it would take them 45 minutes to bring the car around. "I said really??? That's ridiculous!" They said yes, that's how long it takes. So I voted with my $$$ and parked at a public lot down the street. Strike two. Strike three was the mildew in the bathroom. I mean, the rooms weren't disgusting, but it was hardly conducive to the nice boutique feel I was looking for. Everything was just drab and dated.
There was also the very small elevators, which were fine, if dated; and the weird Eurotrash music (loud!) playing during happy hour in the common area. Didn't really phase me, but didn't make me want to come back any time soon, either. Sorry guys! Everyone was perfectly nice; but the property is in real need of either updating or a serious price drop.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The historic Hotel Carlton offers an international ambiance paired with outstanding guest service. Built in 1927, this nine-story San Francisco hotel is 3 blocks from the California Street cable car line, 6 blocks from Union Square, 8 blocks from the main entrance to Chinatown and 9 blocks from Civic Center. Complimentary evening wine receptions are held in Hotel Carlton's lobby nightly and feature live music from local artists. In addition, Hotel Carlton provides complimentary wireless internet to all guests; upgraded bandwidth is also available (surcharge applies). Recently renovated, all 161 non-smoking guestrooms at Hotel Carlton feature remodeled bathrooms including decorative floor and wall tiling, new vanities and sinks. The public spaces showcase cross-cultural design that incorporates treasures from Africa, India, Nepal, Laos and Asia. Our restaurant Saha features award-winning Arabic Fusion cuisine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Sabre Hospitality Solutions, HotelTravel.com, BookIt.com and Priceline so you can book your Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Carlton Hotel San Francisco
- Hotel Carlton San Francisco