“Great service, so so location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Los Angeles
“Great service, so so location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Stayed here because it's booked by a co-worker. It's quite far from the Civic Center BART and it's up hill through a not so nice neighborhood. There are a lot of people either sleeping on the street or wondering around with tiny dresses.

On the bright side, it's close to the Japantown.

I'd suggest taking a shuttle from/to the airport instead of taking the BART. It also has a free limo going to the financial district in the morning, but I missed it by one minutes. I ended up taking taxi a lot, especially at the end of the day.

The service is great. The staff is the nicest I have ever seen. They do their job well and go out their way to help the guests. There's free wine tasting between 5:30-6:30.

The room is of good size but the sound proof sucks. I can hear every sentence of the neighbor's phone conversation. Well, a pair of ear plugs or loud TV will fix that problem.

Room Tip: Try to use airport shuttle and taxi
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Hotel M, Manager at Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us! We sincerely appreciate your comments and feedback, and the knowledge you have provided for future guests. We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return to the Hotel Carlton!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Sandwich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

On arrival we were greeted as old friends by the reception staff who recognised us from previous visits. The front desk is the great asset here, as the staff are always friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful. Theo and Gio are great. The room was clean, quiet, and comfortable. Breakfast was just right if a little disorganised. We will surely return next time we are in San Francisco and hope to stay longer and have an evening meal there, as the restaurant has always been closed when we visit (closed Sunday and Monday evenings).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for a fantastic review! We are beyond pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay, and truly appreciate your loyalty. Our team will surely be recognized for their efforts in assisting you. We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return!
Olney, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

The hotel staff was exceptional. They really went out of their way to make me feel attended to and taken care of. The rooms are very, very clean. I am very picky about cleanliness and I felt completely comfortable at this hotel. However, the hotel is very, very old. The plaster is peeling I and the bathroom is teeny! I also had a very loud neighbor who loved to yawn out loud every few minutes. Very annoying because it sounded like he was in my room!

The hotel is cared for in the sense that it is clean, the decor is very, very cute but could really use some attention to paint, corners and soundproofing.

Room Tip: Would work for a romantic weekend. I would not stay here with my family.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for a great review! We are thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. It is our prerogative to provide quality service to each of our guests. We look forward to your return, and the opportunity to earn a full 5 stars from you next time! Come back soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Romantic getaway weekend in San Francisco. Walk to cable car, restaurants, music. Staff is the best I've experienced - friendly, knowledgeable, and fun. The housekeeping staff greets you in the halls!!!
Hotel Carlton feels like home! We'll be back soon!

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you for a wonderful review! We are elated to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return to the Hotel Carlton!
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I really enjoyed the Hotel Carlton experience. The location was good ( just a few blocks from the California Line cable car route}. The hotel also features a restaurant and a wine tasting event that is free. The staff at the front desk were friendly and helpful. I was given a map and the person at the desk took the time to draw directions to the Orpheum Theater, the Golden Gate Theater, and Market Street shopping center for us.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for an amazing review! We are so happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. it sounds like you really took advantage of the surrounding area, and everything the Hotel Carlton has to offer. We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return!
Amherst, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I needed to find a hotel quickly when a last-minute business trip was requested of me. I needed something inexpensive and close to the venue and found Hotel Carlton. I didn't know what to expect, and was pleasantly surprised! The decor is funky, elegant and clean. The restaurant is amazing and offers unique dishes. I looked forward to waking up and working my way through the menu each morning. The staff is extremely helpful and warm. I would definitely stay here again! Thanks Hotel Carlton!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for an excellent review! We are pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We truly appreciate the time you took to provide your comments and feedback. We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return!
Burlington, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I was fortunate to have seen the Hotel Carleton listed as a possible place to stay in my price range in the city. When I arrived in town, I walked over to the hotel and was able to make a reservation for my return to San Francisco. The person at the desk got me the best available rate which was a great deal for what this little hotel offers. I was traveling alone at this point and it was great to have a safe, clean friendly place to stay. It is a great location - close to everything but you don't feel like you're right in the middle of everything the minute you step out the door. The staff is perfectly wonderful and genuinely seem to enjoy their work. They couldn't be more helpful.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for a terrific review! We are thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your stay, and we appreciate your loyalty. We hope that you'll join us next time for a bite in our Saha Restaurant. Please come back soon, we look forward to your return!

Been to Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel? Share your experiences!