Visiting SF for family emergency, so this was a potentially stressful trip (both parents in hospital). Called from my car while crossing Bay Bridge to find a room. Was planning to stay at Kabuki (another Joie de Vivre property, where I have stayed before) but decided to get a rate quote from Hotel Carlton and called them as well. The rate was fantastic, so I opted to stay at Hotel Carlton. From this first call to check-in to check-out and all in between, my two-day stay was wonderful! Small, boutique property; the lobby and building has a good and warm vibe. Room was comfortable and charming (older building that has been refurbished). Cleanliness was up to my high standards. Bed was very comfy, I slept well. I ate in the restaurant (Saha) and the food was very good. One thing I would have liked to have in the room was a mini fridge, but I made do with ice buckets. The best thing about this stay by far was the hotel and restaurant staff. I was treated like a VIP all around and everybody was friendly and very accommodating. Neighborhood is not the best of the city, but I did walk alone (I am female) at night to the local Walgreen's and walked an additional ten blocks or so and got some food, and I did not feel unsafe at all. It's the city and there are plenty of people around. If I were coming to SF for vacation and sightseeing, this hotel may not be the nearest to prime areas, but for the value and quality of the accommodations, I would still consider staying here. Nothing is too far and if you do not care to walk, a quick cab ride would get you to the tourist-y areas. Overall, I was very impressed with this hotel and would def recommend.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The historic Hotel Carlton offers an international ambiance paired with outstanding guest service. Built in 1927, this nine-story San Francisco hotel is 3 blocks from the California Street cable car line, 6 blocks from Union Square, 8 blocks from the main entrance to Chinatown and 9 blocks from Civic Center. Complimentary evening wine receptions are held in Hotel Carlton's lobby nightly and feature live music from local artists. In addition, Hotel Carlton provides complimentary wireless internet to all guests; upgraded bandwidth is also available (surcharge applies). Recently renovated, all 161 non-smoking guestrooms at Hotel Carlton feature remodeled bathrooms including decorative floor and wall tiling, new vanities and sinks. The public spaces showcase cross-cultural design that incorporates treasures from Africa, India, Nepal, Laos and Asia. Our restaurant Saha features award-winning Arabic Fusion cuisine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Tingo, Cheap Tickets, Otel, Priceline, Odigeo and Venere so you can book your Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Carlton Hotel San Francisco
- Hotel Carlton San Francisco