“Staff made me feel like royalty!” 5 of 5 stars

Early Bird = Savings!
Ranked #38 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Whittier, California
“Staff made me feel like royalty!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Visiting SF for family emergency, so this was a potentially stressful trip (both parents in hospital). Called from my car while crossing Bay Bridge to find a room. Was planning to stay at Kabuki (another Joie de Vivre property, where I have stayed before) but decided to get a rate quote from Hotel Carlton and called them as well. The rate was fantastic, so I opted to stay at Hotel Carlton. From this first call to check-in to check-out and all in between, my two-day stay was wonderful! Small, boutique property; the lobby and building has a good and warm vibe. Room was comfortable and charming (older building that has been refurbished). Cleanliness was up to my high standards. Bed was very comfy, I slept well. I ate in the restaurant (Saha) and the food was very good. One thing I would have liked to have in the room was a mini fridge, but I made do with ice buckets. The best thing about this stay by far was the hotel and restaurant staff. I was treated like a VIP all around and everybody was friendly and very accommodating. Neighborhood is not the best of the city, but I did walk alone (I am female) at night to the local Walgreen's and walked an additional ten blocks or so and got some food, and I did not feel unsafe at all. It's the city and there are plenty of people around. If I were coming to SF for vacation and sightseeing, this hotel may not be the nearest to prime areas, but for the value and quality of the accommodations, I would still consider staying here. Nothing is too far and if you do not care to walk, a quick cab ride would get you to the tourist-y areas. Overall, I was very impressed with this hotel and would def recommend.

Room Tip: Get a room on higher floor for city views and quieter. I was on 8th, which was great.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Hotel M, Manager at Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Thank you for an outstanding review! We are elated to hear how much you enjoyed your stay, and thank you for your loyalty to Joie De Vivre Hotels! We hope that you'll join us again soon, and hope that your family is healthy and well. We look forward to your return!

1,790 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Austin, Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

This hotel is conveniently located in downtown San Francisco with a lot of local flavor. I was able to comfortably walk to MUNI/Bart stations and SFMOMA, and Market St shops. The hotel itself is a charming older building that has been nicely updated with modern conveniences. My room was small but comfortable and very clean. The major downside was my room was on the second floor and my view was of the HVAC system and a surrounding wall (no view of the skyline or the city). Additionally and more importantly, there were workers on the landing throughout the day on both days of my stay, working DIRECTLY in front of my window. I had to keep my blinds shut during the day and it was hard to nap because of the noise. (I started the days early and did a lot of walking, so an hour nap in the early afternoon was necessary). At night I had trouble sleeping because the walls do not insulate sound at all and my neighbors were talking until 3 am. Neither during my stay or upon checkout did anyone ask me if I was happy with my accommodations, and I did not want to complain about something for which the staff was certainly well aware. When I checked out I was not given a receipt of any sort because I booked my reservation through a travel website. I only wanted something showing that I had checked out and returned my key. Staff was not very friendly. The hotel is charming, but next time I think I'll spend a little more money on a hotel that can offer a more consistently positive experience.

Room Tip: I'd suggest requesting a room on a higher floor, and a corner room might reduce the ambient nois...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I cant say enough good things about the helpfulness of the staff. Helped with directions, getting to airport and making sure my stay was great. I recommend it for the quality of service and good central location to the surrounding city points of interest.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Hotel M, Manager at Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Thank you for a fantastic review! We are pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and time in San Francisco. We look forward to your return, and hope you'll try our Saha Restaurant next time. We hope to see you soon!
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

My girlfriend and I were visiting San Francisco for a few days and were on a budget. We stayed here for 3 nights and had a very pleasant stay. All of the staff were incredibly friendly and funny. Our room was very clean when we arrived (we even arrived before check in and it was ready) + room service did a good job of tidying up when we weren't there. We had a room on the top floor, and we did not have a problem with noise from outside or in other rooms as some others have said, although we weren't really around the room much aside from sleeping and showering. The room wasn't super spacious but it was cute and for the price, definitely worth getting. Wine hour (half hour really) was a nice touch, their red and rose choices weren't bad ( we didn't try their white). The Tenderloin neighborhood of SF has a bad rep but the street this is on was fine and we walked around at night through the "bad" streets around the area on our way back to the hotel and really they weren't that bad besides being a little dirty and having homeless people; we've seen much sketchier areas in other cities. Would definitely come back to Hotel Carlton!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for an outstanding review! We are elated to hear how much you enjoyed your stay, and time in San Francisco. We appreciate the time you took to provide your comments and feedback. We hope that you'll join us again soon for a bite in our Saha Restaurant or some more wine during our nightly reception. We look forward to your return!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Stayed at the hotel Jan 6-9, 2013. The room was nice, the service terrific. Everyone from the front desk to housekeeping was friendly and accomodating. At every turn the staff was focused on making my stay pleasant and fun. Every evening there is a wine reception in the lobby. The lobby is very comfortable with interesting appointments. On many evenings Theo provides live self-written music. Funky/Jazzy "Snazzy" he calls it music with great melodies and thought provoking titles and lyrics.

Room Tip: I was on the 6th floor. Great view but in the winter as for a space heater.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review! We are pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We do apologize if you were uncomfortable in your room. Our building is a classic so sometimes it can get a bit chilly. We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return to the Hotel Carlton!
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I've traveled the world, and rarely do I remember the hotel I've stayed in. Not the case for the Hotel Carlton. I loved this place! From the booking, the entire stay, to the check out & easily arranged shuttle to the airport, I LOVED IT! My friend & I were treated so well, loved the room, and LOVED the free wine happy hour with Snazz. I will always stay here when I come to San Fran.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the elevator and higher than the second floor.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for a fantastic review! We are so thrilled to hear how much you loved the Hotel Carlton. It is our goal to provide the high quality service you received, to every guest. We hope that you'll join us again soon in between your world traveling for a relaxing stay in San Francisco. We look forward to your return!
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Room was nice, felt like I was home.
Very comfortable and I slept like a baby...

The housekeeping and front desk staff was awesome in helping me find my cellphone charger.
I didn't have to buy a new one, thanks!!!

I will be back...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for an excellent review! We are elated to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and that we were able to help you find your phone charger. We hope that you'll join us again soon for another visit to the city, and we look forward to your return!
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel? Share your experiences!