“Great location....Really a nice stay!” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1800 Sutter Street, San Francisco, CA 94115   |
Ranked #56 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
san diego
“Great location....Really a nice stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I was looking for a safe, clean, friendly place in that area because it was close to my family. Hotel
Tomo fit the bill perfectly. ( I knew I would not spend much time in my room....the goal of the trip was to be out & about, so I was not in the mood to spend a lot for amenities I would not use.)
Front desk folks were nice, the hotel was clean & well organized. The decor was fun....even tho
it is not my usual thing. (I mention that bec i wasn't sure exactly what I'd be getting into!)
And yes....I will stay here again. It met my needs and was actually beyond my expectations.
A great deal.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
HotelTomoManager, Manager at Hotel Tomo, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank you for a great review! We are thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. Our hotel certainly has a unique design! We hope that you'll return again soon, and we look forward to your return to the Hotel Tomo!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Turkish first
California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Location, location, location. I love that this hotel is in the heart of japtown. Also the fact that their staff is super friendly and helpful. The room itself was very comfortable and cute atmosphere. Probably the ONLY thing I can complain about was the lighting in the bathroom was really dim. It didn't bother me so much, but it needed to be brighter, lol. Maybe it was just our room. Also, this was NOT a noisy hotel at all. Which was a plus! It was quiet unlike most hotels in SF. Overall, a great hotel for a decent price. I'll definitely stay here again when I'm in SF!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
HotelTomoManager, Manager at Hotel Tomo, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Thank you for a fantastic review! We are pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your comments regarding the bathroom light. We are looking into that situation further. We hope that you'll return to the Hotel Tomo soon, and we look forward to seeing you again!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

The staff at Hotel Tomo was great. Everyone was friendly and helpful. I stayed there for eight days and i was very impressed with everything. The room was very spacious and had a great view. It is definitely a hotel I would stay at again.

• Stayed February 2013
HotelTomoManager, Manager at Hotel Tomo, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you for a wonderful review! We are pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel Tomo, and in San Francisco. We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return!
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I had a very good experience at Tomo.
The good: The room was affordable for a get-away weekend. Located in a neighborhood I'd never been to but very much enjoyed. The staff were friendly, helpful, and quickly responsive. The place is clean and attractive. The electricity, air, plumbing, and other items in the room all worked. The computers in the lobby are free for the first 20 minutes. The WIFI in the room worked perfectly. I read a lot of reviews and the room was exactly what I expected it to be.
Nice room features: We choose a Tomo King. The window is a little alcove you can sit in and enjoy the sunrise and sip coffee from the kurig machine in the room. Fun decor - my GF loves Manga and Anime. The view was nice (not a postcard skyline, but not an alley either - just an interesting neighborhood with trees and birds).
Other concerns: This is not a luxury boutique hotel, rather it's a cleverly decorated, well run, off-the-beaten-path, Best Western Hotel with a really fun theme. Keep your expectations in check. Also noticed some door-slamming noise in the morning.
Japan Town is my new favorite neighborhood in SF. I've been to the city 6 times before but never bothered to try Japan Town. It offers great food, night-life, conveniences, and an escape from heavily travelled tourist traps.
The location is great if you want to try SF's Muni bus system or like walking. Union Sq. is a 25 minute walk. Golden Gate Bridge is a 35 minute bus ride on the #2 and switch to #28, $2 bus ride.

Room Tip: The slot in the wall next to the light switch: Stick your key in there, it turns the power on the ro...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelTomoManager, Manager at Hotel Tomo, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for your review! We are pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay, and we truly appreciate your comments! The Hotel Tomo takes great pride in being run by the Joie De Vivre family of hotels, and our eccentric feel is certainly unique. We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return to the Hotel Tomo!
Napa, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Very polite reception, clean room, and excellent location. We enjoyed walking around Japan Town. Ate breakfast at Sweet Maple, just a few blocks west, which is a great place with fantastic service. We spotted several interesting restaurants and pubs along Fillmore that we plan to explore next time. Wished we could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: Midweek was very quiet for a S.F. hotel. Plus, easy walking distance to some wonderful restaurants.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review! We sincerely appreciate your comments and feedback. We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return to the Hotel Tomo!
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

The Hotel Tomo is perfect for families, as it is well located to Japan Center and Fillmore St. shops and cafes. It's Japanese anime decor is fun and kid-friendly, and my children loved the little goody bags the staff gave to them upon check in. The only negative was with WiFi issues even though the hotel advertises free WiFi for all guest rooms. We had to call an off-site technical support center 3 seperate times in a 24 hour stay. That said, good Keurig coffee in every clean and spacious room made up for the quirks. I would recommend this hotel to travelers on a budget. It is good bang for the buck.

Room Tip: Request a room with a balcony. It was nice to stand outside for a bit of San Francisco foggy air.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review! We sincerely apologize for any issues you encountered with the Wifi. We are pleased to hear that it was not too much of a disruption, and that you still enjoyed your stay. We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return to the Hotel Tomo!

Been to Hotel Tomo? Share your experiences!