“Great Hospitality!!” 5 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   364 Ninth St, San Francisco, CA 94103 (SoMa)   |
Ranked #167 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
“Great Hospitality!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

I've stayed here for both business and pleasure. The rooms were a lot nicer than I expected and very clean.

Location is fairly central & they have free parking, which is rare in sf.

The front desk staff was AMAZING. Alexandra at the front desk helped me plan my itinerary for each day of my first visit and was extremely pleasant. They will definitely go out of their way to help a guest.

I'd stay here again- no doubt

• Stayed January 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Ione, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

I stayed here back in February of 2009 (it doesn't give that option in the drop-down). The ONLY thing I can say that was good during my husband and my stay was they allowed us late check in. I booked this hotel at a good price right before our trip. They decided to inform me, after booking, that they were doing some renovations but said that it shouldn't interfere with our trip. Because of all the work the sight of the hotel was an eyesore. During our 5 day stay there, we heard every type of typical construction work you can think of. Sawing, Hammering, Drilling, etc... All of which started around 9am or earlier. While I usually wake up early, if I choose to sleep in while on vacation, I should be able to. The fire alarm malfunctioned in our room and went off, twice, as well.
The day before we left we had been out all day and came back to our room to find a ring of my husbands missing (luckily it was only being used for sizing and only worth around $50). I called the front desk to ask about this and they told me the housekeeping didn't see it. Of course they didn't.

After our trip and my husband returned overseas I proceeded to email the hotel to complain. They said they had no listing of us staying there at this time and as such wouldn't help me. Because, apparently, I would take time out of my day to lie about staying at their hotel. I replied to them and gave them both the names of my husband and myself, told them if need be i'd find my reservation confirmation through priceline or could print out a statement from our credit card. I sent this to them multiple times. I have yet to receive an apology or a response.

This is even more of a disappointment as I have stayed in many best westerns and always been happy. Unless some serious changes have taken place. Find somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

My husband & I stayed for 2 days. Got a good price, the room seemed really clean, came with lots of tv channels, free parking, microwave & fridge. 1st night was fine, but on the 2nd night we started itching. I turned on the lights and found a bunch of huge bed bugs. We left immediately without bothering to stop & check out.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

The Civic Center Motor Inn as a quaint hotel located deep in SOMA, (South of Market Street). Most of the Inn has be remodeled, and the rooms are nice and very affordable. What's nice is that it's located right behind the Lone Star bar and within walking distance to other gay bars. The staff is very courteous & kind. I will continue to stay there when I visit San Fransisco.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Laguna Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

This is a motel that is centrally located in a hip/gay quasi industrial area of S.F. within walking distance of both the Union Square shopping and all the nightclubs of SOMA. The motel was much better than our expectations: It was very clean and the housekeeping was impeccable. Surprisingly, even the interior decorating and the bed comfort were several levels above Travelodge. The breakfast (which I visited only once and left) was, however, strictly Travelodge quality. There was ample free parking and, with a router in our room, quick wi-fi connections. The front desk was very friendly and accomodating. Altogether a very pleasant place to stay at a very reasonable price.

Room Tip: We were in the back--very convenient to the parking lot and quieter than directly on 9th Street.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Spokane, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

It may look like a dump from the outside, but once you get inside it's not half bad. The bed sheets aren't grimy, so that's a plus. However, the TV didn't work. It seems like they really are working to revamp the image of this motel, though I suggest a name change because no one takes a "motor inn" seriously. Despite it's humble name, the price is still ridiculous. If you really look for deals online you can find something much better at the same price. But if you like gay bars, you're in luck. Stud's anyone? Another plus is it's proximity to the bus stop leading to the ballpark.

Room Tip: Rooms near the center might be quieter, and it's worth it to get the queen sized bed for a more...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Whittier, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

I've stayed here once before, but never again. My last stay was a nightmare. I checked in for two days at a very high rate (over $200) because of there was an event in town. I spent my first night, and went out for the day. When I returned, I found that they had taken my things from my room and rented the room out to someone else. They claimed that they only had me in their system for one day and that they tried to call me, but refused to verify my information to ensure that they had made a mistake. I received no call or voicemail on my phone from them. Although they had other rooms available to move me into, they would only do so at an INCREASED nightly rate of $300, and absolutely refused to match the rate I initially signed for. The employee behind the counter feigned being powerless to fix the situation, and the manager which I insisted she call refused to correct the situation to at least move me to another room at the same rate I checked in with. I had to collect my luggage from their office and leave. I also found that they had rifled through my possessions and treated them poorly (for example, they threw my toiletries in with some food I had purchased and was keeping in the room refrigerator). They apparently had done this to other guests, as I saw other luggage being "stored" in the manager's office at the same time...there were no material controls or staff communication regarding these items either. The staff member on duty claimed to not know which pieces of luggage were mine and which belonged to other people. Any attempt to try to ascertain how this situation would occur only caused the staff member to claim that she didn't know anything about the situation, that the different shifts of staff do not communicate (so she couldn't be held responsible). They tried to place blame on the multiple layers of mistakes (failing to record my time of stay, my contact info, handling of my possessions) on me. They were also utterly unwilling to make the situation right by working with me on their "new" higher room rate.
DO NOT STAY HERE. The staff are incompetent, unprofessional, and have no sense of customer service. The management is more interested in price gouging at the expense of the customer than running a business ethically. STAY AWAY.

Room Tip: Choose a different motel.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Been to Civic Center Motor Inn? Share your experiences!