“Great Location, Good Price” 4 of 5 stars

Beresford Arms
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   701 Post Street, San Francisco, CA 94109 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #108 of 237 Hotels in San Francisco
Brantford, Canada
“Great Location, Good Price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

First thing that hit me were how large the rooms were. For being a heritage building I was expecting more 'European' sized rooms. Lots of space, large bathroom and a little kitchenette. It was the best price in this area that didn't have horrible reviews, and we were so glad we stayed here. There was some street noise, but we found turning on the fan that was in the closet created the perfect 'white noise' and allowed us to sleep soundly.
Location was great, close to Union Square, restaurants and transportation. We were here 3 days and got the 3 day MUNI pass which was great, well worth the $21 each. Used it for cable cars, subway and buses, quickest way to get anywhere in the hilliest city I've ever been in.
I would definitely stay here again and for those who complain, you can go spend $400/night to stay at a chain hotel a block down the road.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Billings, Montana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We spent 3 nights @ this hotel last weekend. The location is excellent! We were only a few blocks from just about anywhere - cable car, Union Square, BART station. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. Coffee was always on early & we enjoyed the nice continental breakfast every morning. The room was spacious & the service was excellent.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

The hotel is a few blocks west of Union Square on Post Street. Post is much safer and quieter than Geary St. where I stayed last time. There aren't as many pan handlers. Market St. is also just a few blocks away. There are many ethnic restaurants a block down the street on Jones and on Post. A drugstore is a block or so away on Geary and Taylor. There are numerious neighborhood groceries within a block as well.

The hotel is packed because the rates are very reasonable for a well-located hotel.

I was in a ground floor renovated room. The hotel has the potential for grace and comfort. Sadly, the owner did not not invest adequately in its renovation. The windows are thin, letting in drafts and street noise. There are no window screens and flies visit, looking for supper. The construction of the shower stall did not allow for proper closing of the door. However, unlike many newer hotels, the furnture, though shabby, offers plenty of drawer space. The ceilings on my floor were relatively high. The rooms could have been comfortable and lovely, if only the owner had invested in adequate quality renovation and spent just a bit more for furniture and room fans.

The staff was friendly and attentive. Breakfast is sweet rolls and coffee with some fruit. There is a Happy Hour with snack mix, Ritz crackers and sliced supermarket cheese. Free wine is provided but I don't drink so I can't report on that.

There are also computers for guest use in the lobby and in the first floor hallway. Wifi is available in rooms. I could not get cell phone reception in my room but I really didn't mind.

San Francisco is so expensive that for the $150.00 per night that I paid, I am not sure that I could get anything better. I also don't spend that much time in my room so the accommodations met my needs.

I think I would have paid a bit more to see this lovely old building get the treatment it deserves. The ghosts of those who frequented these rooms when the hotel was grand must be sighing in despair. If they appear this Halloween, perhaps they can ask the owner to properly restore their former haunt.

Room Tip: Get a room as high up as you can if you are sensitvie to street noise.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Doncaster, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We prebooked at the Beresford Arms and was pleased with the city price. Although the valet service was at an additional charge it was super efficient. Definately don't let no parking put you off, because lots of hotels lack parking due to the nature of the city. It's an excellent location, near to the cable cars, union square and if your a walker then its probably only about 1 hour to pier 39. Post Street is home to all the designer shops too. Old fashioned in its decor and a little bit tired and shabby in places, the rooms were adequate with only one pillow each on the bed (i supposed we could've asked for another). We had a front room and it was noisy in the morning when the traffic started, but we expected this in a busy city. Most of the staff were lovely and a nice touch was wine with cheese and biscuits late afternoon. There seemed to be unlimted wine too and a great chance to mingle with some of the other travellers. Street maps available at reception with lots of other info. A simple continental breakfast was available in the morning, the coffee was left out after 10am on our last morning and when we attempted to make another and ask for the milk, a member of staff said it wasn't available after 10am The man 'tutted' at us, then clattered and banged the drinking facilities in an ignornant and spoilt manner whilst putting them away. It was rude and unnecessary and let the hotel down.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Medellín, Antioquia, Colombia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

It is an old hotel, but I noticed that they are updating some of the rooms.
The service was awesome, the staff was very friendly and helpfull.
The location was excellent, just 3 block away from union square.
The only thing that I didn't like was the breakfast, they served very few types of pastries, fruit amd coffe, no juice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I had the rare treat of arriving at an older hotel that was every bit as nice as the pictures featured on it's website. Centrally located, with valet parking available($27....still a deal for downtown San Fran). The hotel was built in 1910 just after the big earthquake. It was built as small apartments for people who were waiting for their homes to be rebuilt. The lobby is right out of that era, but nicely preserved. High ceilings, gold leaf and period pieces. There is a free wine and cheese hour every day at 4:30pm.
Our room was huge. An entry area, large king bedroom, a small full kitchen and a very large bathroom (large enough for my friend in a wheel chair to enter and spin around with ease) including a bidet. It looks as though the rooms were redone in the early eighties, but every thing look fit and worked well. There is a continental breakfast each morning also. Our room was right next to the elevator, so I feared a lot of noise....not so...very quiet elevator. I read some reviews that complained about the area and the homeless; this is a real city and reality shows itself. There really is no problem for city savvy travelers. There are many good ethnic restaurants in the area and you are within walking distance to all the major attractions. I've a few reviews that say it is not a good value...other hotels of this quality in the area are at least 15 to 20 percent more expensive and don't have the same helpful staff and great atmosphere. The clientele of this hotel is very international (an added treat). My only concern would be a mid-summer booking...there was no a/c in our room, just fans.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Greymouth, West Coast, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

This is a great place to stay, enjoyed the breakfasts and the afternoon drinks. It is very easy to walk to Union Square and the shopping area. Hotel is older in style, but this is what we liked about it. The service was excellent and the staff very friendly. Shops for food and drink just across the road. There is an excellent restaurant down the road called Fino, it is worth a visit. We had two room next to each other, they where large with plenty of seating. We also had kitchen is our rooms, this was very handy. We even worked out how to use the coffee maker to make a cup of tea!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Beresford Arms? Share your experiences!