“Great Location, but Old & Noisy” 2 of 5 stars

You added Union Square Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
Union Square Plaza Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   432 Geary Street, San Francisco, CA 94102   |
Ranked #177 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
“Great Location, but Old & Noisy”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

If you're looking for a reasonably priced hotel in Union Square and do not care about appearance or quality, this is the place. The building is very old, as are the windows which makes for very noisy nights. The bathrooms are very tiny with the sink in the room versus inside of the bathroom. This can, however, be a benefit if you're traveling with multiple people. We received no washcloths and the towels are dingy. The elevator is creaky and often takes several minutes to get where you're going.

This hotel is great if you plan on spending very little time in the hotel, but don't expect any extra amenities, like shampoo, conditioner, coffee maker, etc.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

368 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I was a bit worried when I booked this hotel after reading the other reviews. I just needed a centrally located hotel near the Hilton for a conference, and didn't want to pay $300 a night for a room I would only be sleeping in.
When I arrived at the hotel I was very impressed by its location, a block from where I needed to be, and opposite a theatre. The front desk staff where very friendly, and as my luggage hadn't made it over with me they suggested a couple of local options for buying some essentials.
The room was clean and tidy, a little aged, but I would classify it as charming and quaint. The bed was comfortable, the TV worked well, and it had a decent size bathroom and closet. It didn't have air conditioning, but did have opening windows, and San Francisco is not exactly warm in October, so it wasn't an issue.
Everything I needed was within walking distance, fast food for late night cravings after a 16 hour flight, decent restaurants on the other side, drug store, and decent shops a few blocks away.
If you are after 5 star opulence, then pay the $350 a night down the road. If you need a clean functional room near the centre of town, this is perfect.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Barrington, N.J. 08007
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

The hotel was in need of a face lift...was not a 4 star as advertised. On the positive side....the sheets were clean and the bathroom, although dated was clean. The noise on the street was a bit much especially on weekends, but the price was cheap for San Francisco...so you get what you pay for.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

The 1st thing that ' greets ' you is the smell , which rather resembles a body decomposing at a guess .
On entering our room it was quite apparent they've never hired a window cleaner . The wallpaper hanging off the wall was just as obvious as the window sill crumbling away .
It looked like the rust on the radiator had merely been painted over . The wooden block propping up the radiator to stop it falling off the wall was a 1st for me .
We ordered a roller bed for the room . When this eventually arrived , we had to remove some furniture to get it in . Needless to say , when we tried the door to the room it couldn't fully open .
We booked this room for 2 nights . How we managed to stay just the 1 is beyond me .
The following morning we packed our bags and checked in at the hotel 2 doors up , deciding to take a hit on our money rather than deciding to stay another night .
WORST HOTEL EVER .

• Stayed September 2012
Fort Myers, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

This was my first trip to San Francisco, CA. We chose the hotel based on its "quaintness" and location. Loved the location and wasn't expecting a 4 star room. It was small, but adequate. Was surprised there was no refrigerator or ice machine. (The Jack in the Box nearby has a great $1 Lg. drink special - we ordered that and asked them to hold the soda!) Our room overlooked the alley and, living in Florida, we were looking forward to opening the windows. During the day, the city noises are not too overwhelming. At night, windows open or closed, you're going to hear lots of noise: street people rummaging through the trash bins for bottles or arguing amongst themselves; being jarred out of a sound sleep between 2-5 am by the trash trucks - and they don't all come on the same day; and nearby employees park their motorcycles in the alley. Windows offer no muffling of the noise, you will wake up! You WILL also be awakened each morning at 7 am by a group of protesters with bullhorns at a nearby hotel. That got us up and out early, at least the city wakes up early. We simply turned in early each night - had to in order to get some sleep before the noise started!

Room Tip: Do not get a backside room!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

I knew exactly what I was going for but the hotel (more like a motel though) was very much beat down. Well for $100 a night in San Francisco, you actually cannot expect too much. However, i could not dream of a better LOCATION than Union Square. Everything was close, from the Chinatown to the malls to Japan Town. We even had supper downstairs at the Japanese restaurant Katana-Ya where it was simply delicious. Fisherman's wharf was 30 mins walk away and we did not need a car to travel around. This hotel/ motel is perfect if all you need from them is a place to sleep.

The 7th floor where we were had a strong smell of musk and urine. The room was decent but the bathroom and toilet were tiny. No air conditioner in the room but as per previous comments, who needs air conditioner in San Francisco? The bed was a queen one with clean sheets. The window was not insulated, therefore you could hear the noise from the street, especially when the garbage trucks showed up early morning. Our toilet got clogged up and we were moved to the 2nd floor where the smell was less intense but the room was noisier. The windows were even worse there. The front desk guys were more or less helpful but did not seem to care about their job.

To sum up, if I were on a budget and asked to go there again, I would. After all, in downtown San Francisco, where else for $100 per night could you get a room with your own bathroom/ toilet and at a safe prime location such as Union Square?

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Honolulu, Hawaii
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Negative star!

That's right. I gave this horrible venue a negative star. Run down, dirty, sketchy hotel with horrendous room.

To top it all off, they charge $500 a night??? No thank you!

Thanks for "almost' ruining our girls trip. We got to SF bright and early few weeks ago. It was SF marathon weekend and most hotels were booked in Union Square area. We needed 2 beds for 4 girls.That's fine. If we are paying that much, we expected a decent room. Mind you, this was Not my first trip there. Maybe 20th trip. Or even 25th trip. So we know the prices. Given how run down it looks from outside, we decided to give it a chance. It was too early to check in, so we were told to leave our luggage next to the elevator. The guy from reception went and put a fish net on top after. So safe!

After a very long brunch, we came back and we were able to go to our "room". You think downstair was bad? Wait till you see the twilight zone of a room! Went up the creaky elevator to second room. Holy mother of skechiness. If I was paying $2 for a room in Thailand, maybe I should expect this. Not when I'm paying $500 right in the middle of SF!

It was over. We got into the dirty, dark and very very run down room. Of course, the bed sheets are dirty. And they have stains all OVER! Hair, stains and possibly bed bugs~!! This was the worst hotel experience of my LIFE! And I have been all over the world. At this point- I didn't care how much it will cost me, I just needed to get out of there.

After calling Expedia-Thank GOD! , we were told that we had 3 mins to get out if we want out money back. Four of us girls never ran as fast with luggage's! Of course, we've already asked the front desk guy about it and he said no. But thanks to Expedia, our lives and health were saved. God knows what else is in those rooms. They need to be ashamed of themselves for letting people stay in those rooms, let alone charging them for it!

Room Tip: Avoid all the rooms! Avoid the hotel period.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Union Square Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!