“Just a bit disappointed” 3 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   405 Taylor Street, San Francisco, CA 94102   |
Ranked #95 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Melbourne, Australia
“Just a bit disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel a while ago for a stay in march 2014, I booked it specifically a because it was in the kimpton chain and I like their hotels a lot.

When I arrived, I find it's no longer in the group and I think it's fairly obvious why! It was much tireder and shabbier than any of the kimptons we've stayed in before and, disappointingly, the wine reception has disappeared and the toiletries are of an inferior brand.

The location was ok, though you need to watch where you walk at night as it only takes one block in the wrong direction to end up in a seedy area. Otherwise, it's brilliant for access to shops and public transport.

Staff were friendly and helpful and they quickly reversed a charge for a 'resort' fee that I questioned (so, what kind of resort is it anyway?) as I had not been aware of it while booking.

Overall, I felt I had paid kimpton rates for a hotel well below that standard and as such would hesitate to recommend this.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Jenny K, Guest Relations Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
We are very sorry that our hotel did not live up to your expectations. We are committed to making this hotel better than it’s ever been, and your honest review is invaluable to our reaching that goal. We will take all of your comments into careful consideration, thank you. For your future reference, our Urban Fee includes; morning coffee, car service to the financial district M thru F mornings, local phone calls, access to the business center and high speed Wi-Fi. We hope to see you again in the future; we are confident we can wow you with our ongoing improvements.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
ESCALANTE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

I should have asked about parking before I booked. The hotel only has valet parking which cost $40 a night. The garage next to it is only $30. My corner room was a little noisy with traffic, sirens and car alarms but did quiet down after midnight. The room heating and cooling system was also load. The homeless people are friendly and one advised me which directions I should and should not walk at night.

This old hotel has been nicely refurbished and small but comfortable. There is no in room coffee.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
We are very sorry you are unhappy with your recent stay at our hotel. We would love for you to reach out to us personally at john.sevilla@serranohotel.com. We look forward to hearing from you.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

We had a nice corner room. The only thing I didn't like was that it was intercommunicated with the room next door and this makes always a bit noisy. We could hear the guest next door talking, going to the bathroom etc. but in general the room was clean, comfortable and cosy. The staff was very friendly and breakfast in the bar was very good.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
It is great to hear that you found our team friendly and our hotel comfortable and clean. We apologize for any inconvenience noise from outside of your hotel room caused. We hope to see you again when you next come to San Francisco.
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

My room was a bit smaller than my colleagues, but it served its purpose for the 4 nights that I was there. It is within walking distance to the Moscone Center, but it was a long walk. Walking back to the hotel, the closer you got, the more homeless people you will run into sleeping or asking for money on the sidewalks. It didn't bother me, but I mention it just in case it would bother you. The neighborhood is right on the border of the Tenderloin district. The front desk told us not to go in that direction, so of course we did, just to check it out, lots of homeless people, lots of drugs, lots of people that should probably be on some sort of medication.
The staff was great, always greeting us at the front door, the front desk crew were wonderful, the cleaning staff even offered to open my door when I was coming back to my room with my hands full.
Being on the 10th floor meant that the chances of getting an elevator quickly were really good. I never had to wait more than a minute for an elevator. Oh, and the elevators are fast.
The room was small, with very little sitting accommodations for small gatherings. The bathroom was very small, with no counter top. I had to leave everything on my desk. Very cramped in the commode area, especially for a bigger person.
My room needed some modernization, for example, it still had a big TV cabinet, with a flat screen in it, if they put a lower profile one in, it would make the room look larger. I was given a key to the honor bar, but there was no way of locking it, it had a tray of overpriced "stuff", and a stocked mini refrigerator with no door to lock the "stuff" up.
WIFI worked fine, no issues at all.
If you stay here, take advantage of the attached restaurant/bar.

Room Tip: My room overlooked OFarrell St, and you pretty much hear everything going on both on OFarrell and Ta...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Jenny K, Guest Relations Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
It is fantastic to hear that our team took excellent care of you. We are sorry that the room felt a bit small to you; we will take your comments and suggestions into careful consideration, thank you. Your tips are wonderful, and we now future guests will be grateful. We are happy that you enjoyed Jasper’s Corner Tap & Kitchen; they always deliver a fun time and a happy tummy! We hope to see you again when you next visit San Francisco.
Redding, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

We just booked another weekend trip for our wedding anniversary to San Francisco for March 22, 2014 and I am so pleased that we are able to stay at the Serrano Hotel again! We stayed there last year for the first time for our anniversary and couldn't have been happier. When we checked into the hotel they were having complimentary wine tasting and the staff was very pleasant to deal with. What an awesome surprise when we got to our room to see that the hotel staff had placed a bouquet of flowers along with cupcakes and champagne for our anniversary! The room was beautiful and comfortable and was in a great location in Union Square. We were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Jenny K, Guest Relations Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
We are thrilled to be able to welcome you back to our hotel again! It is great to hear that you enjoyed a fantastic anniversary vacation with us last year, thank you for allowing us to be a part of your celebration! We can’t wait to see you again this month!
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

Stayed at Serrano for 9 days last week. Location is pretty good; it's a couple of blocks away from Union Square. I found the room a little small but it was ok and had all the necessities. The age of the hotel shows a little (chipped paint and other things) but IMO it didn't affect the experience at all. The staff was very nice and helpful. They were very friendly.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Our location so close to Union Square always keeps us smiling; we are glad that you enjoyed it too! We are very sorry that you felt the age of our hotel was showing a bit. We are always striving to improve the quality and comfort we offer; your comments help us reach that goal. Thank you for your praise of our amazing team. We will be sure to pass your compliments along to them; we know it will make their day! We hope to see you again when you are next visiting San Francisco.
boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Sometimes it's the little things that made all the difference -- such as the fact that the closet in my room at the Serrano was stocked with a full-sized, sturdy umbrella, which was a lifesaver when the skies opened up during my visit. Or that the bellman stood in the rain hailing a cab for me. Or that they had Led Zeppelin playing in the lobby instead of Muzak. Or that they had an ancient rotary phone on a table outside of the elevator door on my floor. Anyway, that being said, I would describe the Serrano as a serviceable hotel, certainly nothing luxurious. The lobby is a little dark. There's no breakfast, Continental or otherwise, just coffee or tea. I couldn't locate a coffee maker in the room. Okay, I like coffee. Of course, you're in the heart of San Francisco, so great caffeine is just around the corner. Speaking of which, taking a wrong turn at the corner could bring you to the Tenderloin, but going up one block and taking a right brings you to Union Square. I liked the room, nice big table, fast free Internet, big TV, beds were comfortable. My room was quiet. Overall, no complaints.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Jenny K, Guest Relations Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
We are thrilled that our team offered you such excellent service! We will pass your praise onto them; we know it will make them all smile! It is also great to hear that your room and all the “little things” helped to make you stay wonderful. We will take your coffee maker suggestion into consideration, thank you. We hope to see you again when you next visit San Francisco.

Been to Serrano Hotel? Share your experiences!