“Comfortable stay in a good location” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #79 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Bracknell, UK
“Comfortable stay in a good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights in October and found the staff to be helpful and friendly and the hotel itself to be well maintained. The room was a good size, it was clean and not at all tired, the bed was comfortable and really the only thing I could complain about was the porters at the hilton across the street using a horn/siren to get the attention of taxis late at night, but that's not the Serrano's fault.

The location was good, although on the edge of an area that you wouldn't want to walk through - luckily to get to the centre / union square you walked the other way so it didn't end up being an issue. It's about a 5 minute walk to union square, the cable car turnaround and the main shopping street so well located for getting around.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

1,177 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
San Antonio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights and had a fun filled extended weekend. The staff at the Serrano are so nice and accommodating. The Doorman is very helpful with luggage and information. The room is comfortable and clean. The bed is a queen and very comfortable. Even though it is in a busy street, the noise level is very low. The room is dark for a restful night. Plus, the wine hour is fun to experience.
The only criticism is that our room could have used an end table on both sides of the bed. Otherwise, everything was great. We would stay at this hotel again and highly recommend.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Recently stayed at the Serrano during a convention in San Francisco. While everyone else complained about the tiny rooms and high prices at the other hotels, I was perfectly pleased with mine. They offered me the room with the 'best view' which happened to be right off the elevator near the top floor. I couldn't hear the elevator at all in my room, but you do hear the noise of the city. (Which, I heard from others, even happened in the higher end hotels) Serrano is an older hotel, but the things that matter are very nice. Bathrooms seem to have been recently remodeled and the bed was so comfortable. I have to admit, I slept like a baby. The location is super handy. I was within walking distance of all the best restaurants and even the convention center was an easy walk from the hotel (sans heels). The front desk staff and doormen made sure I knew where I was going and how to get there at every point, making me feel as if I was a special guest. I had a chance to eat at Jasper's, the attached restaurant, and was more than pleased with their elaborate food and drink choices. Overall, you cannot go wrong with the Serrano considering the price, location and staff. If you're a snob and cannot deal with an older building, stay somewhere else.

4 stars because I would've liked coffee in my room, but they serve it downstairs and also serve wine every evening.

Green Features: Enjoyed they were environmentally friendly with a recycling trash can in my room.
seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Having stayed at the Hilton and other big boring box hotels, finding this little place is such a relief. It is old and you will find the paint on the door trim is peeling. But so what. It is so cute and full of character. They offered me a room next to the elevator or a quiet room facing a wall. I chose the quiet room without hesitation. And indeed it faces a wall. It is also perfectly quiet in the middle of the city.

Room Tip: If you choose the quiet rooms facing the wall be prepared - it is just an alleyway away. So if you...
Loughborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights and requested quiet room after flying from UK. Room was excellent, this is a period hotel and we loved it. The room was sumptous and the leapord robes are different. The free wine tasing each day is fun and we made sure we made it back for this after sight-seeing. Easy walk to Union Square and to Cable car stops to Fisherman's Wharf which I would recommend. We ate in Jasper's the first night and had a great burger and beer, the place was busy with great atmosphere, we had breakfast included and was fruit and bagels/pastries which was more than adequate for us. We also ventured to the Italian quarter to eat after that (take the bus, really easy). The beautiful hotel certainly enhanced our stay in San Fran and I would definately recommend it.

Room Tip: We had a high room on the same side as Jaspers and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
SerranoSF, Front Office Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear Catherine H,

I am so happy to read about your time with us, it's always pleasant to hear that our hotel enhanced our guests visit to our charming city.

We hope you will be back soon.

Regards,
J.P. Pagoadacruz
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

Rooms were small but clean and adequate. Location was fine as long as you took O'Farrell or Geary east to Powell or Mason. One block south on Taylor gets pretty sketchy. Restaurant is cute, but food was super salty. Service was prompt at times and lacking at others. I was excited to stay at Kimpton again after an amazing experience in San Diego, but sadly did not match up. Still would try their brand again.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear KelkieAnn,

Thanks for taking the time to review your stay with Serrano - I am sad to read your stay wasn't as flawless as your San Diego experience... certainly an opportunity for us to tighten our procedures here. I will talk to our restaurant team about your comments as well.

I hope that you'll give us a second chance in the near future.

Until then,
J.P. Pagoadacruz
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Only a few blocks to Union Square. Great restaurant located at hotel, Jasper's. Bathrooms are small, but it is an older property. Nice leopard robes in the closet. Staff very friendly and helpful. Quiet location in the city.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
SerranoSF, Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Weezee42-
We are so happy you enjoyed our property, location, and Jasper’s Corner Tap! We look forward to your return… Thank you for the review!

Been to Serrano Hotel? Share your experiences!